Wiki Posts
Search

LAX secondary CBP screen question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
LAX secondary CBP screen question

I'm a non-US citizen and have traveled to the USA many times since 2009, and I've held several statuses as well: tourist, business, exchange, and working. Each time I come in, I bring food items, but they are usually cookies or sweets. I always declare them on the CBP form. The officer usually asks and they let me through without anything else.

On my most recent arrival at LAX, I was however sent to secondary screening to the "A" channel (agriculture?). I did not bring any fruits or anything fresh whatsoever. They just scanned all my bags. Had one luggage opened. The officer put his hand in the middle and had it closed. He then said, "that's ok. You can give me your visa." He then typed something on the computer, handed me back my passport and sent me to my connecting flight. This happened at LAX. I only entered once through SFO in 2009 and all other arrivals have been at LAX.

Should I be worried that I will be searched again because there is something in my record? Would I need to file FOIA request form? I'm actually traveling in a couple of months again, but this time entering through YVR then to LAX.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You were sent to secondary once out of multiple entries to the US and nothing other than a cursory inspection took place and you were sent on your way.

I would not give this a second thought unless it repeats itself 3-4 more times.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hikouki
I'm a non-US citizen and have traveled to the USA many times since 2009, and I've held several statuses as well: tourist, business, exchange, and working. Each time I come in, I bring food items, but they are usually cookies or sweets. I always declare them on the CBP form. The officer usually asks and they let me through without anything else.

On my most recent arrival at LAX, I was however sent to secondary screening to the "A" channel (agriculture?). I did not bring any fruits or anything fresh whatsoever. They just scanned all my bags. Had one luggage opened. The officer put his hand in the middle and had it closed. He then said, "that's ok. You can give me your visa." He then typed something on the computer, handed me back my passport and sent me to my connecting flight. This happened at LAX. I only entered once through SFO in 2009 and all other arrivals have been at LAX.

Should I be worried that I will be searched again because there is something in my record? Would I need to file FOIA request form? I'm actually traveling in a couple of months again, but this time entering through YVR then to LAX.
Nothing to worry about, unless and until you notice that you and your bags are being sent to secondary several times in a row after this.

I've been sent to Ag for secondary and it just happens very infrequently to me. No adverse implications related to this on my files with the US government AFAIK.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
You can also do a privacy act request to see what they wrote. It may take about 1 year.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Routine and maybe random agricultural inspection. Nothing to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.