Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MP, Anti tsa
Originally Posted by redadeco
Let's get straight to the point: it doesn't matter what international airport you're flying from, it's about the airline. If flying on US carriers from international destinations, then there will be extra security (questionnaire when checking bags and/or re-screening at the departure gate).
Flying into the US on foreign carriers doesn't require going through additional security procedures.
It's only one data point, but no questions asked at check in or extra gate screening at sdq on JetBlue a couple weeks ago.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:05 pm

The interviews occur only at "Category X" airports: Europe, India, Africa, certain Asian destinations (China), and South America.

I've never seen interviews in Central America, Mexico, Canada, the South Pacific, nor the Caribbean.

This isn't about logic.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:46 am

Confused noob

I'm a total noob here, so be kind...

I have always been confused why, when I am flying back to the US from an airport in South America, I have to go through a metal detector at the gate, submit to a check of my hand luggage, and surrender the bottle of water I purchased 5 feet away at an airport vendor. The surrender of drinks is what pisses me off the most, because on an 11+ hour flight it's nice to have your own drink rather than rely on the flight attendants' distribution schedule.

I've already gone through security screening to enter the terminal. Why don't they just ban liquids at THAT checkpoint and just let everyone buy food and drink inside the terminal?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum which is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Before posting, please ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?” For example, discussions of what is permitted through TSA checkpoints belong in this forum.

If you wish to debate what should or should not be permitted through checkpoints or on airplanes, those discussions belongs in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old May 25, 2016, 5:11 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It has been a long time (at least, a few years) since I've seen extra security at NRT.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
It has been a long time (at least, a few years) since I've seen extra security at NRT.
Yes I just few out of NRT this Sunday. Nothing at the gate but a sign warning of TSA and extra security. A year ago out of HKG they had tables set up and checking carryons.

What was interesting was flying into MUC from IAD and not having to go thru security when connecting (to BKK). That was unexpected.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes I just few out of NRT this Sunday. Nothing at the gate but a sign warning of TSA and extra security. A year ago out of HKG they had tables set up and checking carryons.

What was interesting was flying into MUC from IAD and not having to go thru security when connecting (to BKK). That was unexpected.
Not really. You had already gone through security at Dulles, and since you never went through Immigration at Munich, you never left the sterile area (that which it is).
Old May 26, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Been thru HKG four times this year: a cursory gate check each time regardless of the destination (US or elsewhere)
Old May 26, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by catocony
Not really. You had already gone through security at Dulles, and since you never went through Immigration at Munich, you never left the sterile area (that which it is).
Granted I have limited experience doing international transit but I was under the impression that most countries do not "trust" other countries security screen.

Both when transiting HKG and FRA from china to US I had to go thru security again. Same with BKK from MUC to china. All cases (HKG, FRA, MUC) I stayed in the airport's transit zone.

I think you are confusing "sterile area" with "transit zone" and security check with immigration check.
Answer is here!
Sometimes the layout of the airport dictates whether passengers arriving from EU/Schengen countries are screened again or not. MUC has worked this out very well so passengers arriving from secure, non-Schengen countries such as the UK and the US can deplane directly onto level H (non-Schengen departure level) while passengers from most non-Schengen countries must deplane on level I and re-clear security before entering level H or going through passport control to level G for departure to Schengen destinations.

FRA on the other hand has only partially implemented this. Most arrivals from the US do not require re-screening but arrivals from the UK have to re-clear security. This is mostly due to the layout of the airport and terminal buildings.
LOL seems like a lot of effort to please UK and US travelers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21173497-post10.html

Last edited by rufflesinc; May 26, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Nope, I'm not confusing anything. You were in the non-Schengen terminal the whole time in MUC. You were going to Thailand. You got off a plane, presumably walked around the terminal for a bit, waited and got on another plane in the same terminal. No need for a security check. Transit area = sterile area in this case. You came from a country (US) where you don't have to go through security on transfers, and you were going to a country that doesn't require any special security procedures at origin airports.

Last edited by catocony; May 26, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Mats
The interviews occur only at "Category X" airports: Europe, India, Africa, certain Asian destinations (China), and South America.

I've never seen interviews in Central America, Mexico, Canada, the South Pacific, nor the Caribbean.

This isn't about logic.
I got interviews prior to check-in at SIN and HKG. I think in all Asian airports (except Korea/Japan) passengers are interviewed at check-in when flying on US carriers.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by BH62
Been thru HKG four times this year: a cursory gate check each time regardless of the destination (US or elsewhere)
HKG only has gate checks on flights departing to the US and Australia.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Granted I have limited experience doing international transit but I was under the impression that most countries do not "trust" other countries security screen.

Both when transiting HKG and FRA from china to US I had to go thru security again. Same with BKK from MUC to china. All cases (HKG, FRA, MUC) I stayed in the airport's transit zone.

I think you are confusing "sterile area" with "transit zone" and security check with immigration check.
Answer is here!

LOL seems like a lot of effort to please UK and US travelers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21173497-post10.html
Yes, you are right: in most transits located in Schengen airports, you only go through security at the airport where you board your first flight. It doesn't matter whether you are leaving or entering Schengen during your travel.

Schengen airports also trust US and UK screening, but this is not true the other way round. The UK however trusts domestic points of origin.

So something like EDI-LHR-FRA-ZRH - no rescreening at LHR or FRA, but enter Schengen there at FRA; on the return, no rescreening at FRA but leave Schengen there, plus rescreening at LHR and enter UK.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by :D!
Yes, you are right: in most transits located in Schengen airports, you only go through security at the airport where you board your first flight. It doesn't matter whether you are leaving or entering Schengen during your travel.

Schengen airports also trust US and UK screening, but this is not true the other way round. The UK however trusts domestic points of origin.

So something like EDI-LHR-FRA-ZRH - no rescreening at LHR or FRA, but enter Schengen there at FRA; on the return, no rescreening at FRA but leave Schengen there, plus rescreening at LHR and enter UK.
At FRA for instance I did JNB-FRA-SOF and CMN-FRA-DMW (all on LH) in the past two years and had to go through transit security even though both routings were non-schengen to non-schengen.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:55 am

That is to be expected. Frankfurt does not deem South Africa nor Morocco to meet its security requirements. Therefore, flights from Johannesburg and Casablanca do not "arrive clean" into Frankfurt. Passengers coming from those flights must re-clear security in Frankfurt regardless of their final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.