Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the US speaking little to no english - what to do in border/customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to the US speaking little to no english - what to do in border/customs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: GE
Talking

If it's a concern, have them write down answers to questions CBP may ask: purpose of visit, duration of visit, place staying in the US, return/ongoing plane ticket information, how/what/who is providing financial support while in the US. Have a trusted friend translate all that into english and print it out and carry it. If there is a strong language barrier, that may help things go faster.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by tanja
Maybe they have maybe they dont. Maybe they are working when they need one..I have alwyas been told dont expect agents to have a secound language.They will find out. I hope they can find one.
Stop posting misinformation. You obviously have no idea about NYC. I transferred at JFK to Colombia. Guess what, the boarding announcement was made in Spanish. There is a huge Spanish-speaking population there.

Your initial post wasn't about expecting agents to have a second language, it was that they don't speak Spanish in NY, which is obviously wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Getting personal with another member is not allowed.
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

Posts have been deleted.

TWA884
Co-moderator
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I think it's almost impossible to be in NYC and not hear Spanish. I think more New Yorkers I know refer to their corner stores as bodegas than as delis.

Living in NYC or LA (and probably Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas) it's hard not to pick up enough to be able to communicate at least a little in Spanish, whether one realizes it or not. I'd expect a substantial fraction of CBP agents in a New York area airport to speak enough Spanish to ask the basic questions and decide whether to send someone to secondary either because the CBP agent couldn't quite understand the responses and wanted a better translator, or because they could and wanted them in secondary.
Couldn't agree more!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The mention of ESTA suggests that they're coming from a developed country, so an extremely exotic language is unlikely, but it would help to know the airline, route, and language.
To be honest, ESTA doesn't exclude exotic languages. Europa has a lot of languages...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: GE
I was told most CBP officers assigned to Southern California and similar regions near the southern border have mandatory Spanish language training. I don't know if these requirements apply to LAX officers as well or if it's only at border crossings.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
To be honest, ESTA doesn't exclude exotic languages. Europa has a lot of languages...
I said unlikely, not impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.