Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Singapore fingerprinting visitors (status updates?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

At the end of January, press reports said Singapore would start fingerprinting all visitors "from June":

http://www.straitstimes.com/politics...nd-air-and-sea

The source for all of the press reports was the same speech in Parliament by a government minister.

I'm planning to go to Singapore in April and don't want to be fingerprinted, so I'm concerned about whether the program might start early (or might be rolled out sooner at Changi than at the sea and land checkpoints). Can people who travel to Singapore frequently or will be going there in the interim give me an update?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:25 pm

In case nobody provides a personal experience to answer your question, you may send a brief enquiry to your local Singapore embassy/consulate. There's no guarantee you get a satisfying answer but I reckon it'd be worth a try.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:41 am

I fly in and out of SIN about every 2 weeks. So far, no fingerprinting. I go through the automated turnstiles so am already required to give a quick fingerprint scan. I am going tomorrow and will have a look but if SIN says June, then it will probably be June.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:42 pm

The scanners are now in place but not being used. I asked the officer and she said due to start in July but may do some spot checks before hand.

Last edited by flyingmango; Mar 21, 2016 at 3:58 am
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Sounds like a way to detect multiple citizens (which is against the law in Singapore) who have been clandestinely visiting Singapore on their foreign passports.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flew in and out of SIN last week with a US passport and was not fingerprinted
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by green17
Hi,

At the end of January, press reports said Singapore would start fingerprinting all visitors "from June":

http://www.straitstimes.com/politics...nd-air-and-sea

The source for all of the press reports was the same speech in Parliament by a government minister.

I'm planning to go to Singapore in April and don't want to be fingerprinted, so I'm concerned about whether the program might start early (or might be rolled out sooner at Changi than at the sea and land checkpoints). Can people who travel to Singapore frequently or will be going there in the interim give me an update?
If it says that it will start in June, it will start in June. Not April.

What do you mean by "You don't want to be fingerprinted"? This is Singapore. If you refuse to get fingerprinted... basically, you don't get to enter the country. Period.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What do you mean by "You don't want to be fingerprinted"? This is Singapore. If you refuse to get fingerprinted... basically, you don't get to enter the country. Period.
I've made travel plans on the basis of whether particular countries required fingerprints before, and I expect I'll do it again in the future. So my question is really about whether I ought to change my imminent plans.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Had 3 recent arrivals to Changi. No fingerprinting - yet.

Not sure why this is different than what is already done on arrival in NRT - digital finger printing and iris scans. Even after a dozen entries, one would think they would keep a database with corresponding entries to passports......or maybe not
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Not sure why this is different than what is already done on arrival in NRT - digital finger printing and iris scans. Even after a dozen entries, one would think they would keep a database with corresponding entries to passports......or maybe not
Nobody claimed that this is any different from other countries taking fingerprints...?

As for your second sentence, well - if you change your passport it wouldn't match anymore, so rather than going through the hassle, just do it every time. Disgusting but logical.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Had 3 recent arrivals to Changi. No fingerprinting - yet.
It has been stated in this thread several times that the fingerprinting will start in June.

Not sure why this is different than what is already done on arrival in NRT - digital finger printing and iris scans.
It isn't different.

Even after a dozen entries, one would think they would keep a database with corresponding entries to passports......or maybe not
Japan keeps a database and Singapore will be keeping a database.

If you are removed from Singapore and you think you can enter again by getting a new country's passport... think again. If you commit a crime and your fingerprints are found at the scene, be prepared to be kept in the country.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Fingerprinting for visitors to Singapore begins on 20th April at all land/sea/air immigration entry points. The first phase is to take place at Woodlands and Tuas; date for implementation at Changi has not been specified by ICA.

Source:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...tml?cid=TWTCNA

Last edited by crazycrab955; Apr 17, 2016 at 8:30 pm Reason: Clarity/typo
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Another article stating same. Changi not ready yet it seems.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/thumbprint...032437912.html
Old May 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: Qantas
My own experience being,

Arrival Changi Terminal 1 - 26 April 2016 - no fingerprints taken
Departure cruise centre harbour front - 28 April - fingerprints taken
Arrival cruise centre harbour front - 28 April - fingerprints taken
Departure Changi Terminal 1 - 2 May - no fingerprints taken

Seems that they're starting at the seaport before the airport first, I had a chat with one of the immigration officers who said they're rolling it out in terminal 2 before the other terminals.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:11 pm

Flew in and out of Changi this weekend; no fingerprints yet. The immi officer told me June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.