Wiki Posts
Search

Son lost CDL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Son lost CDL

So my college age son lost his CDL and is flying home on Friday. He got a temporary license (paper), has his college ID with photo and his Costco card with photo. His known traveler id number is in his profile so he gets pre-check. Will the fact he has a known traveler ID help at TSA? Of course, his passport and actual Global Entry card are safe at home!

I told him just to go to pre-check as normal and hopefully with all he provides the TSA agent, he will be good to go. All he will have is a backpack
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:10 pm

If I were him, I would just give the document clerk my two photo IDs and my boarding pass and not volunteer anything about the lost drivers license. If he's lucky, he'll clear the document checking podium. In the worst case, he might have to step aside and possibly answer some questions that come from a commercial data broker's database...they might be something like "which of the following addresses have you lived at?" or "which of the following are cars that you have owned?". To be safe, he should allow extra time and arrive early at the airport...perhaps an hour earlier than he would otherwise arrive. He may not need the extra time, but better to have it than to wish he had it.

Even in the worst case, he'll certainly be able to get past the TSA checkpoint and to his gate. If he knows (or if you can conveniently telephone/email him) his passport number and his known traveler number, it can't hurt to have those, either.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is CDL? Canadian driver's license? California? Connecticut?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry - California Driver's license
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Epod
If I were him, I would just give the document clerk my two photo IDs and my boarding pass and not volunteer anything about the lost drivers license. If he's lucky, he'll clear the document checking podium. In the worst case, he might have to step aside and possibly answer some questions that come from a commercial data broker's database...they might be something like "which of the following addresses have you lived at?" or "which of the following are cars that you have owned?". To be safe, he should allow extra time and arrive early at the airport...perhaps an hour earlier than he would otherwise arrive. He may not need the extra time, but better to have it than to wish he had it.

Even in the worst case, he'll certainly be able to get past the TSA checkpoint and to his gate. If he knows (or if you can conveniently telephone/email him) his passport number and his known traveler number, it can't hurt to have those, either.
Thanks - his known travler ID should be saved in his profile so I can text him that number - hopefully his passport number is also. We are traveling so don't have his info with us and are meeting him at the destination airport. Good idea for him to have those numbers with him.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My first thought was Commercial Drivers License.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Several years ago, I lost my driver's license traveling. Fessed up to TSO at ABQ, and emptied out my wallet - multiple credit cards, frequent buyer cards, library card, all in my name, and the kicker - a Costco Amex with photo id. He waved me through, though he did make a show of looking through everything and comparing me to the photo. (of course, I fit the profile of middle-class, middle-aged white lady in business suit, unlikely to be typed as a threat in any case)

With the two photo IDs and temporary DL, your son's in fine shape. My suggestion to him - dress as neatly as possible, act respectable/respectful (these two only because of age-stereotyping), show whatever photo IDs he has and temporary DL, perhaps have something else showing the same address as on the DL. Don't bother to hide the loss of the license. There may be a slight delay, but he should get through.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sierranevada
Sorry - California Driver's license
I would have thought Commercial Driver's License.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.