Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extracting personal info from boarding passes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Extracting personal info from boarding passes

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/10/w...barcode-a-lot/

This is an interesting article. While targeted to infosec folk, the takeaway should be that in this day and age, better to securely destroy (e.g. shred) your boarding passes after use. FTers of all people who tend to have a lot of valuable information in their various airline accounts.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
How is this news? You guys never tried to read your own barcode??
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Personally we've been in the habit of keeping our boarding passes until we've gotten home and been credited for the flight(s) in our FF accounts. Occasionally, though I don't recall it happening recently, we've not gotten a trip or flight credited and the boarding pass has been used as substantiating evidence that we did fly. Past that I can't say we've shredded them at home but I suppose it wouldn't be any big deal to throw them in our shredding box.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Boarding passes are exceptionally useful evidence for immigration processes even as they can also raise questions as to why one has said boarding passes available for use in the immigration process many years later.

One should keep them. Just keep them secure.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I created an Excel spreadsheet that breaks out the data of a barcode (you read it with a barcode reader app, then paste the text into the spreadsheet). It's all openly documents on what information is in what position - name, cities, flight, ticket numbers, number of checked bags, airline, frequent flier number. Some of the stuff in the airline dependent area can vary but overall it's well documented and contains a lot of information for redundancy.

Personally I shred them once travel has finished and miles/segments have posted. It used to be a bigger problem when US was *A and I credited United flights to US - it wasn't 100% reliable that miles would credit between the two airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.