Search

Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
He didn't say. But today he posted another BP on AA SEA-ORD and it had SSSS as well. He said he also has it on his ORD-DOH BP. He said security at SEA took an extra 15 mins while they unpacked both his bags, went through everything, felt him up, did the explosives trace, and then he had to repack everything.
Is he still getting hit by the <SSSS> boarding passes? Just curious if he's still blacklisted in some way or if he's finally been "rehabilitated".

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:19 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
A friend of mine and his wife stopped a week an a half ago in IST for a day and a half as part of a *A RTW ticket on 016 stock. Neither have global entry or pre-check. Given the events in Turkey today, I would not be surprised if they get the dreaded SSSS for the next few flights / months.

They're flying domestically later this week so I'll report back on what happens. Both fit the demographics mentioned in this thread M/F 20s-30s
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TommyC80
A friend of mine and his wife stopped a week an a half ago in IST for a day and a half as part of a *A RTW ticket on 016 stock. Neither have global entry or pre-check. Given the events in Turkey today, I would not be surprised if they get the dreaded SSSS for the next few flights / months.

They're flying domestically later this week so I'll report back on what happens. Both fit the demographics mentioned in this thread M/F 20s-30s
There is no good reason for <SSSS> to hit more passengers flying US carriers just because of what happened in Istanbul today. It's not like the Paris attacks increased the number of <SSSS> targets on US domesic flights just because a passenger had a Paris stopover/visit.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
A related data point:

My wife (F/36/Canadian) and I (M/34/American) flew to/from BEY, via IST one way, on a 016 ticket using AC YYZ-IST, ME IST-BEY, LH BEY-FRA and AC FRA-YYZ. Both of us have Global Entry/Nexus. Neither of us ended up with any SSSS or X/O issues. As I understand, travelers to Lebanon were being hit with the same nonsense as Turkey, so I wonder if the assessments have varied. Another friend, M/33, traveled on his own less than a week later DCA-BEY via YYZ/IST and back via DXB and YYZ, and also didn't have an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1120A
A related data point:

My wife (F/36/Canadian) and I (M/34/American) flew to/from BEY, via IST one way, on a 016 ticket using AC YYZ-IST, ME IST-BEY, LH BEY-FRA and AC FRA-YYZ. Both of us have Global Entry/Nexus. Neither of us ended up with any SSSS or X/O issues. As I understand, travelers to Lebanon were being hit with the same nonsense as Turkey, so I wonder if the assessments have varied. Another friend, M/33, traveled on his own less than a week later DCA-BEY via YYZ/IST and back via DXB and YYZ, and also didn't have an issue.
BEY hasn't been causing <SSSS> anywhere as much as IST has/is.

IST transit -- as opposed to stopovers -- hasn't really been as much of an issue as either BEY or IST stays.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:13 pm

Looking forward for a trip to India this summer. Turkish has the best rates but I heard of this special treatment coming for free!

Is SSSS assured even when you are just in transit at IST?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cyclops13
Looking forward for a trip to India this summer. Turkish has the best rates but I heard of this special treatment coming for free!

Is SSSS assured even when you are just in transit at IST?
In transit on a single ticketed PNR and traveling without a Turkish visa of any sort? <SSSS> is far from assured then. I've flown TK to/from India in recent years without <SSSS> hitting me on my domestic US flights thereafter.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:21 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone had any recent experience on this? I'm looking at buying a SFO-ATH through IST on TK in J with a 2 hour layover. I'm still debating if we should buy it on TK
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by portland67
Has anyone had any recent experience on this? I'm looking at buying a SFO-ATH through IST on TK in J with a 2 hour layover. I'm still debating if we should buy it on TK
I've seen a lot of this kind of stuff done this year without haraSSSSment hits.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I connect from TLV to Europe once a month on TK. Never harassed by anyone on either end. Will let you know in July what happens when we go TLV-IST-SFO
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:56 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Any recent experiences with this, especially after the recent incidents. I have a flight from Amsterdam with a layover in Istanbul going to New York.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I'm in the midst of flying ADD-IST-ORD on an award ticket and just got SSSS on my boarding pass after changing my seat with the *G lounge attendant in IST.

My first boarding pass for IST-ORD didn't have SSSS but after switching seats it did. And I only switched seats because I wanted a row of 2 seats to myself and someone *had* to choose my row to sit in the aisle instead of the other 6 rows with open aisle seats.

The nice lounge lady blocked the seat beside me after I switched but now I have to contend with SSSS. I hope it's not too bad and there are no lasting consequences for future domestic flights and PreCheck
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
So the SSSS on my IST-ORD boarding pass made no difference in screening at IST. The contract security firm, Gozen, already essentially does secondary screenings on almost all passengers, searching you bags, swabbing your hands, waist, crotch and shoes. The SSSS on my boarding pass had no apparent consequences for my security experience.

That being said, the long queues for US-bound flights and ensuing security circus were such a hassle I'm not sure I'm eager to fly TK again, although the food and service in Business Class was great.

After arriving ORD, my onward boarding pass had PreCheck and no SSSS. So I think it was a one-time thing to get SSSS at IST, and at least there, it won't do much.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ang2383
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Any recent experiences with this, especially after the recent incidents. I have a flight from Amsterdam with a layover in Istanbul going to New York.
Same or better than before: short international to international flight transits (X on tickets) at IST are very unlikely to be a source of this problem. It's the tickets that have Turkish airports as Os (origin/destination) that remain way more of an issue than Xs for Turkish airports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 9, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Same or better than before: shot international to international flight transits (X on tickets) at IST are very unlikely to be a source of this problem. It's the tickets that have Turkish airports as Os (origin/destination) that remain way more of an issue than Xs for Turkish airports.
Yup. It's highly unlikely that someone will, during a two hour layover in IST, leave the airport, run over to Syria, fight for ISIS, come back to the airport, and then get on a plane.

The profile that's more likely to attract attention is June 1 - USA-IST, Sept 10 IST-USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.