Search

Hand Sanitizer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:23 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Hand Sanitizer

I have just flown over 10 sectors, across Ireland, UK, USA, Germany, Spain, and their respective Airport Security procedures.

I have a 100ml hand sanitizer gel bottle that i keep in one of my side pockets in my bag. I never take it out and put it through my liquids bag. Interestingly, my bag has never been pulled out, and the hand sanitizer has never aroused suspicion.

Can the screeners not see the hand sanitizer or is there another explanation?

Just curious? Anyone else got a similar experience?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
They are probably not worried about it. In FRA my bag got pulled because of small 2oz bottle of eye glass cleaner solution. First time in many, many flights. I have hand sanitizer in another pocket. I never worry about it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:24 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
They don't care. I often have moisturizer and other small liquid sundries in my purse and I've never removed them or been asked to remove them.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've had DUB and LHR catch this before. I usually forget it is in my bag.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:25 pm

I never pull out liquids into a separate bag. I figure it's not my job to make it easier for the TSA. If they want to see everything, they can let me know. Is there something about hand sanitizer that makes it forbidden?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by zitsky
I never pull out liquids into a separate bag. I figure it's not my job to make it easier for the TSA. If they want to see everything, they can let me know. Is there something about hand sanitizer that makes it forbidden?
I do the same in the US, but be careful about it in the UK. The security staff at LHR have a nasty reputation for, when then find liquids in somebody's bag, sending them off for a secondary inspection which involves completely unpacking every bag the pax is carrying.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:59 am

Anyone know what the rules for liquids are in CDG? I'm going through there in about a month.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I do the same in the US, but be careful about it in the UK. The security staff at LHR have a nasty reputation for, when then find liquids in somebody's bag, sending them off for a secondary inspection which involves completely unpacking every bag the pax is carrying.
I've never had that issue at LHR (or any other European airport out of which I've flown) for international departures to the US, and I generally have a small hotel tube of lotion in my laptop bag. I do pull out my toiletry bag, however.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At LHR T4 security I was behind a couple who didn't have all of their liquids in baggies, nor would what the woman had fit. After some delay, they moved to the side to determine what to throw away and what to put in each baggie. They claimed to be unaware of the rule.....and this was the premium class FastTrack line.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by zitsky
Anyone know what the rules for liquids are in CDG? I'm going through there in about a month.
When I flew out of CDG the liquid rules were the same as in USA: 3 ounces (100 ml) maximum per container and all in a 1 quart sized bag.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
LHR is a nightmare. We got pulled out once, and could not figure out why. The officer tore our bags apart, and finally pulled a moisturizer out of my 311 bag, claiming it was too big. It was, in fact, smaller than the allowable size, and after the officer called over a supervisor (we never said a word; she just kept looking at it, turning it over, etc.), the supervisor took one look, pointed at the mL amount clearly marked on the bottle, put it back in the 311 bag, and apologized to us. Of course, the whole ordeal took 20 minutes. All because the initial officer though the bottle "looked" too big. Grrr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.