Wiki Posts
Search

Expired passport help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Expired passport help!

Hello all,

I, and my two minor daughters (whose 5 year US passports are expired) will be moving to Switzerland. We all have dual US and Swiss nationality. We have lived in the U.S. But have traveled to Switzerland before. We have one-way tickets and valid Swiss passports. Will we encounter any problems? Should we all travel with our Swiss passports or me with my valid US passport and the girls with their valid Swiss passports?

Thank you for any guidance,
Diane
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The US has no real exit passport check program. The airlines verify you have legit documents to be accepted into the other country.

I would say it is worth it to renew their passports anyways before leaving because if they were to return or visit the US they'd technically be required to use their US passports or go through hassles if they tried to use their Swiss passports or expired US passports even though they have a legal right to reentry. This can be done while abroad but can be one less thing to have on your mind.

It's none of our business but you said you and your two children are moving. To take them outside the country you may need paperwork if you have a husband/exhusband or father of the children that has a level of custody. If so it is best to have a copy of that paperwork though if they're traveling on their Swiss passports that may be a nonissue.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:05 pm

You'll be fine traveling on your Swiss passports. As Yoshi212 suggested if time allows I'd try to get them renewed before your move (rather than after since it'd be easier than going through the US consulate once in Switzerland) because technically US citizens are required to enter with their US passport. As US citizens they can't be denied reentry into the country but it's a lot bigger hassle to go through then just getting their passports renewed. If they're now over 16 they can get a full 10 year passport otherwise they'll get another five year one.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:14 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
As I have noted on other threads, the US CBP can and does do outbound immigration checks on flight at airports around the country.

I have it happen often enough; some might call it rare but not uncommon.

Just understand if CBP is doing outbound checks at the gate/jetway you will normally be required to have a valid US travel document.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Well received

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I will renew my daughters' (both under 16) US passports before leaving, for sure. Yes, I will be traveling with them alone. I was not married to their father and there is no custody arrangement but your advice for adequate paperwork is well taken.

Thank you again,
Diane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.