Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"Did you pack this yourself"- What happens if you say no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Did you pack this yourself"- What happens if you say no?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:32 pm

They usually ask those questions on international flights to the US on US carriers by contract security companies, such as ICTS.

Last time I flew back to the US, I was asked questions by the contract agent. Of course, I answered them honestly which included answering one of the questions by stating that my laptop was my employer's property. I noticed that she pressed a button on her tablet device that said something like "escalate for supervisor." The supervisor came and while I was eventually cleared after answering additional questions, it seemed as though the agents were not used to people answering that question truthfully. I know that many people who travel for business take work laptops and other devices owned by their employer so I was really surprised at how much of an issue that they had with that response.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:26 pm

deleted

Last edited by ft556; May 28, 2018 at 8:17 am Reason: legal
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Sarcasm isn't really appreciated by pax either, although I realize it may be a perk of the job for some, as may retaliatory actions taken solely to assuage someone's ego.

Abuse of one's position is never pretty or admirable.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:59 pm

deleted

Last edited by ft556; May 28, 2018 at 8:18 am Reason: legal
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FedGuard
It is often more of an issue of preventing discussions later on. All too often when prohibited items are found the first response is trying to wave off blame. "I didn"t know it was in there" "Never seen that before" etc. If you answered the above questions with yes those defenses go out the window.
What if you believed you packed it yourself?

My wife turned down some oranges. Her SIL slipped them in her carry-on anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are referring to me, when someone yells at me when I want to scan his bag "careful, you can't scan that, there's a bomb in there!". I am not being sarcastic, even though he claimed afterwards the remark was only meant as a joke.

But you are completely correct. Officials should treat passengers with the respect they expect back, and therefore sarcasm is also inappropriate.
What, an Atari ET game cartridge??
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:11 pm

One of the few positive changes TSA made after 9/11 was removing the "Did you pack your bags yourself?" & "Have your bags been out of your possession?" ticket counter agent questions stateside.

I still remember traveling with my mother as a child pre-9/11 after a cruise when she answered the question honestly no one knew what to do. The ticket agent at the next desk was telling our ticket agent just to refuse our baggage. At least in the end a supervisor later just had my mother search our bags and then accepted them. The whole affair took half an hour and this was in MIA which has a large share of cruise customers.

I have only been to TLV once, the security agent phrase the question as "Did you pack your bags yourself, and have your bags been out of your possession? The reason I ask is that our concern is that someone could have concealed explosives in your luggage." I personalty think the agent was just tring to see if I had any reactions to the word "explosive".
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:31 pm

deleted

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I think at IAD at United checkin I was asked the question whether my checked bag had been out of my possession since being packed. I honestly responded that I'd checked it in my hotel for the day. I was surprised that they made me open the bag and made me confirm that it was the same way I'd left it in the morning. No actual search of the bag. Only time that's ever happened to me.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I think at IAD at United checkin I was asked the question whether my checked bag had been out of my possession since being packed. I honestly responded that I'd checked it in my hotel for the day. I was surprised that they made me open the bag and made me confirm that it was the same way I'd left it in the morning. No actual search of the bag. Only time that's ever happened to me.
When was this? I had to do that a few times, but it was back in the 90s.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Than this should be resolved in the follow up interview. We do understand these things can happen.

@Loren Pechtel
Sorry, I don't get the joke...
The point is that one can believe one packed the bag yourself without that being true.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:24 am

I wonder if these questions actually stop threats. Do they think that terrorists are unable to lie?

"No, my bag was packed by our expert bomb maker."
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:33 pm

deleted

Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:55 pm

Sometimes I get help from my minor grandkids. Without me really knowing. They dont tell me.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:29 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
They don't stop threats, they stop discussions after you find something.
You are confusing two different presentations of the question. Most people in this thread are talking about check-in agents and the dopey, feckless ICTS "security" types as one enters the check-in queue or boarding queue, not when it is asked by customs.

The flags raised and reactions had can sometimes be quite different between the two when asked or answered in the affirmative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.