Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
When we flew to ORD from Japan recently, not only we filled out the paper custom form airline crew gave us, we were also directed to use the AUTOMATED Passport control ATM like machine after landing and it was same info we had to type in.

Was the paper custom form not required than? We no longer have to accept & fill out the paper custom form the flight attendant gives us?
If you are entitled to use the APC kiosks and use the APC or GE kiosks, then those forms need not be filled in by hand.

Crew members keep trying to give me forms even when I know I don't need them because I'll be using APC, MPC, or GE and thus not need to use a pencil/pen to fill in a form.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
Still confused

For a flight landing at SFO, we had already made out the blue card. We were directed to the kiosks, which duplicate the same inquiries. Could we have SKIPPED the kiosks, and just gotten in line with the paper card, saving 5 minutes. Does anyone know this for sure/
Old May 24, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you are entitled to use the APC kiosks and use the APC or GE kiosks, then those forms need not be filled in by hand.

Crew members keep trying to give me forms even when I know I don't need them because I'll be using APC, MPC, or GE and thus not need to use a pencil/pen to fill in a form.
I don't know whether I am entitled to use any kiosks. I know I have no global entry or anything like that. I am using US passport. I filled out the paper custom form given in flight. Upon landing and wait to stand in line at the US citizen line, there were few Kiosks where I was told by one of the worker there to scan my PP, selection the options and print out and show it to the officer. I checked and info on the paer custom form and the Kiosk form was same. Gave them both to the officer.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Just got back from Europe and no U.S. citizens were required to fill out paper customs forms upon arrival (only non-U.S. ones were). I have Global Entry so I just moved past the crowd at the customs line, but it looked like people were filling out an electronic customs form similar to the Global Entry's electronic machines. Is this the new trend?
As of 6 weeks ago my DH who,does not have GE was directed to a kiosk similar to GE and just followed the prompts. I actually have GE and was at the kiosk next to him and it was basically the same thing.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do the electronic kiosks really ask you all the same questions as the blue form? I know on the blue form I have to write in my address and sometimes write in the names of 10+ countries I've visited on a trip, those questions aren't on the kiosk are they?
Old May 27, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Do the electronic kiosks really ask you all the same questions as the blue form? I know on the blue form I have to write in my address and sometimes write in the names of 10+ countries I've visited on a trip, those questions aren't on the kiosk are they?
Used the kiosk in AUH yesterday. The machine asks you the customs related questions, but none of the address, countries visited, and other nonsense US citizens never should have had to answer anyway. It was a really fast process.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Used the kiosk in AUH yesterday. The machine asks you the customs related questions, but none of the address, countries visited, and other nonsense US citizens never should have had to answer anyway. It was a really fast process.
Indeed. Glad that AUH got in on the APC kiosk action too.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dkywin
Folks using APC don't get to breeze past customs though.
Indeed. At IAD a couple of days ago, the customs line was probably 45 minutes long. GE line was at most 3 pax deep at any given time. A few times, the non-GE pax did try to block the GE line as they apparently thought people were trying to skip...
Old May 30, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
So theoretically, a US citizen could use the kiosk, hand in the receipt with passport, and if the officer asks "Where are you coming back from," respond "None of your business."

You'd get delayed I'm sure, but I think they would have to let you in, without you ever saying where you have been.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
So theoretically, a US citizen could use the kiosk, hand in the receipt with passport, and if the officer asks "Where are you coming back from," respond "None of your business."

You'd get delayed I'm sure, but I think they would have to let you in, without you ever saying where you have been.
I just said "here" on this occasion and it was sufficient. I'd connected earlier from MCT, but by asking "where are you coming from" he was sufficiently vague I could deceive and not be lying.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Theoretically, yes. If you are a US citizen presenting valid, authentic documentation of your identity and citizenship, the officers cannot prevent you from entering the country. As a citizen, you do not have to give any verbal answers. However, if you do not cooperate with questioning, you can be subject to delays and extensive searches to make sure you are not attempting to violate any laws of the United States (customs, agriculture, intellectual property, etc). The CBP officers have to risk-assess every passenger, including US citizens.

Note that when you are at a port of entry, presenting yourself to enter the United States, you do not have the same constitutional protections that you enjoy inside the USA. For example, the officers can detain you for a reasonable amount of time needed to search your belongings and person. They can search you and your belongings without your permission, probable cause, or a warrant. (However, they do need some level of suspicion that you might be attempting to conceal something or violate the law, except in the case of random searches.)
Old May 31, 2015, 12:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used these on my last two international arrivals (ATL and SEA) which occurred before I got GE. They're great, you don't have to search for a pen on the plane, remember where you put your form, or if you're like me...struggle to make sure your handwriting is legible
Old May 31, 2015, 8:37 pm

They announced 6 weeks ago that Las Vegas had the kiosks, but when I arrived recently on an international flight we used paper forms and no sign of the kiosks.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jun 1, 2015 at 2:29 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:06 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Now if Guam would just get rid of that tree-killing novel one has to fill out upon entry and have a customs APC that would be nice...rant over... LOL

I am so tired of having the fast GE entry at GUM then waiting to deal with the surly Guam Customs Agency.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:30 am

Does anyone know when this paperless initiative began? I haven't traveled in months and during my business trip last week, I realized that my blue US customs declaration form was no longer required.

All in all, I like paperless but I felt a little silly having a fully-completed form (I keep a stack of these and pre-fill at home prior to my travels) in my hands when they weren't even using them anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.