Wiki Posts
Search

Random SSSS check YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Random SSSS check YYZ?

Had to make a quick trip up north and flew out of lga Tuesday morning and breezed right through TSA checks. On my return today I tired to print my boarding pass and I was denied and at check in I got SSSS on my boarding pass. I'm wondering if this is just random or is there a reason I was targeted even though I flew in without an issue and returning within 48 hours?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:33 pm

Sadly, this is not unusual for flights from Canada to the USA on both Canadian and US carriers. It applies even if you have Global Entry, Nexus, or have enrolled in the TSA's PreCheck system.

I have no doubt that this is a TSA requirement for a certain percentage of passengers to be subjected to secondary screening. In Canada, it applies to US and Canadian carriers. In other countries, the SSSS occurs only on US carriers.

In Canada, this typically means a visit to a body scanner with the option to be frisked instead. It is less oppressive than SSSS status in the US, but it is irritating and farcical. It also negates the purpose of "known traveller" systems.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I was expressly told by the Garda contractors that the airline placed the SSSS on me when I got one a few months ago. I sent a very upset email to the AA station manager, who said this wasn't true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.