Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Americans and Cuban Cigars

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Americans and Cuban Cigars

Slightly off topic but under the new travel rules with Cuba, American's can now return from Cuba with $100 of cigars.

Does anyone know whether this is also now allowable from i.e. Europe or other countries?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Shouldn’t matter where you buy them. They are now permitted as a part of your standard allowance I am presuming...
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tanglin
Shouldn’t matter where you buy them. They are now permitted as a part of your standard allowance I am presuming...
A few articles say no-- returning from Cuba only:
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe...-Can-Buy-17928
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Instead of presuming or relying on "media, what does the guvmint say?

Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) has information on its website that is different from that on CBPs website.

CBP website not only says the $100 tobacco allowance for persons given authorization to travel to Cuba is no longer in effect, it also says emphatically "NO", no products of Cuban origin are allowed.

Since CBP is the enforcer of the law/regulations I wouldnt chance a $250,000 fine or loss of Trusted Traveler benefits on "presumptions." However, note that this was last updated on 5 Jan 15.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-cuban-cigars

However, OFACs website gives a link to the Federal Register where it has published the new regulations. https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ol-regulations

I am not 100% sure of when they take effect (upon the date of publication or some other date) but it says that up to $100 of Cuban origin tobacco/alcohol that was purchased in Cuba may be imported.

I do not see where it says Cuban origin tobacco/alcohol purchased in a country other than Cuba is now permitted to be imported into the US.

Again, my fall back is to what the "enforcers" list on their website as that is most likely in tune with what they are being trained and instructed on how to enforce the law.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I think the key is, purchased "in" Cuba is the answer.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA: MM
New Rules?

Dredging this up as I understand the rules are different now.

So two questions:

1. Is it correct that US Citizens can by and bring back Cuban cigars within the normal duty free limits for tobacco products?

2. If so, do the duty free shops at the Calgary airport's (YYC) new terminal have Cuban cigars?

TIA
DLM
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmunz
Dredging this up as I understand the rules are different now.

So two questions:

1. Is it correct that US Citizens can by and bring back Cuban cigars within the normal duty free limits for tobacco products?

TIA
DLM
Yes, Americans can bring in up to 100 cigars worth $800. Beyond that you would pay the normal duty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.