Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tree foliage - US Customs`

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Tree foliage - US Customs`

Hello all, looking for some advice on a question I have. I've had a look through the US Customs but couldn't find a clear answer to my issue.

I am flying from Edinburgh to the US (JFK) tomorrow. I have about a dozen Christmas presents in my hold luggage which have been wrapped with a small cutting of Christmas tree (a few inches from the tips of the branch). This seemed like a good idea at the time but now I am wondering if I will get stopped at US Customs for this, and if the gifts will get confiscated.

Also, on the customs form will I be required to tick the box that I have vegetation in my luggage?

Thanks for any help,

Jacob
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's better to declare it. The agent will ask what it is and when you describe it, let it go. Or you might be required to go to agriculture and let them make a decision.

Are you a US citizen?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
It is doubtful that you can import even very small bits of tree foliage without a permit. You're required to declare them and you'll be sent to agricultural inspection, at the least.

Can the sprigs be removed easily? I don't think that ag inspection would seize the entire package if the greenery can be removed.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...plant-products

this part may shed some light, though you don't seem to have propagative plant material so I'd think they may be less of a concern. I've brought in small bits of plants (declared) without issue but it depends on the specifics.

Propagative Plant Material (Plants/Plant Parts for Planting)

Many plants may enter the United States from foreign countries, provided they meet certain entry requirements. Entry requirements vary by plant, but the following requirements universally apply:...
But regardless, just declare it on the customs form. Worst case they'd confiscate the branch pieces; best case they give you the OK and you're good to go.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You must declare it because you are otherwise making a false statement on the Declaration and that will create an unending nightmare for you even if the the item itself is benign.

2. You are unlikely to be permitted to import the sprigs. My suggestion is that rather than attaching them to the presents now, put them in a baggie and attach them once you are at your destination. If the items aren't permitted, you won't have to sit there while the wrapping is shredded.

3. As a better idea, unless you are truly headed for the middle of the desert with no stores within 100 miles, you can't walk 50' in the States right now without bumping into a Christmas tree/wreath stand. Ask anywhere for a few sprigs and don't put yourself through the mess.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
In the future, I'd recommend not travelling with gift-wrapped items, if you can help it. CBP and/or TSA will have no qualms about opening carefully wrapped gifts if they deem it necessary. Better to just pack the wrapping and then take care of it after you arrive at your destination.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful.

I am a UK Citizen manneca. I think I've decided it's best I just remove them myself. Good to know that the worst case scenario would probably be them being removed by customs but I think I'll avoid it and just keep an eye out for some when I get there! Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Declare it !

if it is spotted after you have signed off a No, you can find yourself in the soup.

I have seen canniness doing a sniff at baggage claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.