Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Emergency Exit Wing Door: Leave Inside the Airplane or Throw Outside in an Emergency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency Exit Wing Door: Leave Inside the Airplane or Throw Outside in an Emergency?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Some escape doors are plugs - the door is slightly bigger than the frame to facilitate sealing. It's possible to get it through the hatch by twisting it, but it's fundamentally easier to pull the door in and set it on the seat, and bringing it in means there won't be doors on the wings where people are stampeding out.

Practically speaking, I'd be twisting the door and tossing it out, otherwise it's just one more thing in the way of people trying to leave a presumably bad situation. If there's a situation where the emergency exits are in play, the airline probably won't be that upset if you throw their door out.

The 737NG escape doors are hinged at the top and spring loaded so they pop open (gull wing style) with a pull of the handle. So that greatly simplifies the entire process.

Also... I love Youtube for bizarre findings like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAndXzhgurI
Nailed it. Also remember the door is about 45 lbs and an awkward shape. Most do not have the upper body strength to twist this and toss it out while working in a tight space - would take much less time to remove it and stash it somewhere inside the aircraft
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
If the door is detachable, pretty sure they can just get a new one if needed.
Cost saving in an emergency?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:24 am

I thought I was supposed to close the door back up. I don't want the wing to get too crowded if we have to stay out there for any reason.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
What I have never understood is the fixed armrests you often find in the exit row.

They require increased legroom (pitch) for the exit row then allow fixed armrests which would impede emergency egress? Wouldn't the armrests that flip up allow easier egress / exit?

Jim
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Don't scratch the paint

My wife and I were once in an exit row on a UAX flight with a mid-20s FA who was very blas about the whole safety routine when talking to us about our role in the event of an emergency. He concluded his spiel with the line, delivered deadpan, "Throw the door out through the window. Don't scratch the paint." And then walked away. It took two seconds for the line to register and then the whole row cracked up.

"Don't scratch the paint" has been a favorite in our family ever since.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 am

Depends.

It really depends on the aircraft. Thats why all you frequent flyers that think you know it all should pay attention during the flight safety briefing before takeoff. If you are in an emergency situation trying to escape, who cares if you damage the aircraft door? NOT ME! Those doors usually are quite heavy; thats why they ask able bodied people to sit in emergency exits. In training- the one we lifted was 60 pounds.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by jayne52
It really depends on the aircraft. Thats why all you frequent flyers that think you know it all should pay attention during the flight safety briefing before takeoff. If you are in an emergency situation trying to escape, who cares if you damage the aircraft door? NOT ME! Those doors usually are quite heavy; thats why they ask able bodied people to sit in emergency exits. In training- the one we lifted was 60 pounds.
Exactly! One thing I still do while occupying the exit row is to check how the door opens and what to do with it once opened.. Procedure is set by aircraft type. To my knowledge airlines do not set policy on this. (But I could be wrong)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Various memberships
I did the BA Flight Safety Awareness course a couple of years ago (well worth it if you are UK based)

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...fety-awareness

The over- wing doors on a mid haul are actually very easy to open but it seems that there is a difference in procedure.

The BA instructions are for the exit door to be thrown out the hole you just created as it will impede the exit of those behind you. Apparently in the US the advice is to leave it in the plane.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gld / 1MM, Marriott Plat
I can't believe frequent fliers are just speculating wildly about this. Read the safety card and do what it says. It's different on every aircraft.

Some have a wing-attached emergency slide that could be destroyed when you throw the hatch on it. PLEASE don't throw it out there just because you think it's the right thing to do.

Others tell you to throw it out, presumably because it would be in the way if it were sitting on the seats.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by netopia
I can't believe frequent fliers are just speculating wildly about this. Read the safety card and do what it says. It's different on every aircraft.

Some have a wing-attached emergency slide that could be destroyed when you throw the hatch on it. PLEASE don't throw it out there just because you think it's the right thing to do.

Others tell you to throw it out, presumably because it would be in the way if it were sitting on the seats.
If you're going to do it, do it right.
1. Pull the Latch.
2. Remove the Door.
3. Go to First Class and retrieve a Blanket.
4. Wrap the door in the Blanket.
5. Find a roll of tape and secure the blanket.
6. Take the door to the rear galley for safe keeping.
7. Return to your seat and announce that it is safe to exit the Aircraft.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by netopia

This 10x. It's certainly good to run through scenarios where you might have a good reason to do something different than the instructions (e.g. tilt/angle), but if you're sitting in that exit row you had better read and know how it's expected *for that plane* and plan that as the default.

I can guarantee if the card says to put it on the seats and you decide to throw it out, but it gets jammed in the opening because it's heavier than you expected, or deflates the slide, and people are trapped because of that, you're going to have a lot of questions to answer (if you're around to do so). I don't pretend to know what kind of legal liability goes along with assisting in an airliner emergency, but "yeah, I read it and did something different just because. No, it didn't work out" isn't going to be very fun to repeat in court even if you eventually prevail...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Plat, AS MVP 75k, B6 Mosaic, Mariott Lifetime Platinum, SPG P100
The people that write those safety cards are probably the same ones who told us for years that using your cell phone in airplane mode while in flight would cause the airplane to burst into flames. So no, I am not going to accept what they say on blind faith in an emergency situation.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by jimquan
What I have never understood is the fixed armrests you often find in the exit row.

They require increased legroom (pitch) for the exit row then allow fixed armrests which would impede emergency egress? Wouldn't the armrests that flip up allow easier egress / exit?

Jim
This is my question as well. Being tall I always get the exit row seat and I like the window. The first thing I do when I sit down is look at the instructions on the door to determine if I'm suppose to throw it out or place it on the seat.

If you're suppose to place it on the seat and the arm rests do not move you will have to somehow make it so it fits just in your seat and will be stable there and not fall over - which in an emergency is just not a reasonable expectation.

If it's a throw the door on your seat exit procedure the seats should have adjustable arm rests.
IMO
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Originally Posted by QDDawg
This is my question as well. Being tall I always get the exit row seat and I like the window. The first thing I do when I sit down is look at the instructions on the door to determine if I'm suppose to throw it out or place it on the seat.

If you're suppose to place it on the seat and the arm rests do not move you will have to somehow make it so it fits just in your seat and will be stable there and not fall over - which in an emergency is just not a reasonable expectation.

If it's a throw the door on your seat exit procedure the seats should have adjustable arm rests.
IMO
I'm pretty sure the reason they aren't moveable is because they have to be able to support the weight of the door. Moveable ones are an extra step a passenger would have to remember to do before opening and picking up the haevy door.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 pm

I just had this discussion last week with my wife returning from BOS. I believe that the people cramming through to get out would inevitably knock the door around and possibly clog the works. My wife (naturally) took the opposite view from mine, saying it could get in the way outside.

I am with the "hurl it first and ask questions later" crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.