Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

2 pound free weight okay, 3 pound weight a "weapon"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT

Please tell me the TSO at LGA was pulling my leg...
I travelled ORD-MEM-ORD-LGA-ORD over the past week, with straps and a 2-pound weight in my carry-on so I could do exercises prescribed for a shoulder tendonopathy. The weight is a glorious cast-iron piece a gym once gave out as an ad, so in each location I warned the TSOs that it was in the carry-on - it stands out so beautifully solid on the x-ray! No problem til leaving MEM, where the TSO wanted to open up and verify, but did not send it back through. Then when I was leaving LGA, the TSO looking at the x-ray asked, "How much does it weigh?" I told him it was 2 pounds, and he said that was good, but if it had been 3 pounds (or more) I couldn't have carried it on because it would have been considered a weapon! He didn't crack a smile...but was he pulling my leg?

(Of course, with my shoulder in the shape it's in, I couldn't have wielded even the 2 pounder as a weapon...though I could have strangled someone with the straps!)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:41 pm

You! Thanks a lot for weaponizing shoulder rehab tools. Now I have to worry that some screener will want to confiscate the Thera-Band I use for my replacement.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It's not as if there were actual rules that Security Theater screeners have to follow.

It might help if you had a note from a doctor that you need to use it. That makes it a medical device.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:29 pm
YKF

Originally Posted by sethb
It's not as if there were actual rules that Security Theater screeners have to follow.

It might help if you had a note from a doctor that you need to use it. That makes it a medical device.
Getting notes to be allowed to carry on non banned items sets precedent for them to not allow more items which arent banned. Weights are not banned. No note needed.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by YKF
Getting notes to be allowed to carry on non banned items sets precedent for them to not allow more items which arent banned. Weights are not banned. No note needed.
And what do you do when the Security Theater Authority says "you can't take that on a plane"?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Check it?

http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea.....R2RugCPi.dpbs
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:48 pm
YKF

And what do you do when the Security Theater Authority says "you can't take that on a plane"?
Make them show me where it is in the rules
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
They say 3 pounds is the limit, but it's probably really 3.4 pounds.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swag
They say 3 pounds is the limit, but it's probably really 3.4 pounds.
lol
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YKF
Make them show me where it is in the rules
It's in the "because I say so" part of the rules. Do you want to fly today?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:39 pm
YKF

It appears we like in the NWO police state. You are correct
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I think we have a winner. My final report as OP, because I've progressed to the point of being able to use the 5 lb. weights usually available in hotel fitness rooms: In the past couple of weeks, I have randomly asked TSO's whether there is a weight limit on free weights in carry-ons, and have gotten the same type of answer, i.e. random.

My conclusion - it's up to the TSO's discretion, and if you look as if you could (or might want to) wield a 3 pounder as a weapon, they won't let you take it. Henceforth to be known as the "Little Old Lady" (or LOL) test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.