Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk home page/child safety seats/FAA/research

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Interesting article on the Flyertalk home page: http://www.flyertalk.com/story/faa-e...e-message.html
Unfortunately, the only decent research article I found (admittedly, I did not delve into the databases too deeply) shows that the child safety seat requirement leads to more deaths, not less.
Reason: having to buy a seat for the child makes the trip less cost efficient, hence parents decide to drive, which is more dangerous than flying, thus leading to more deaths.
http://www.safetylit.org/citations/i...ls&citationIds[]=citjournalarticle_306176_38

As often happens in what seems reasonably policy: an unintended, dangerous consequence (in this case even deadly).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
This is an ongoing fight between NTSB (which wants to mandate that kids have their own seat and travel in a carseat) and the FAA (which has opposed the mandate for 20+ years. Everyone agrees that:

1. Kids on planes are safer in a carseat than in a lap.
2. Kids on a lap on a plane are safer than kids in a carseat in a car for a similar distance.

The debate is over the degree to which requiring parents to purchase a seat for small children will cause them to drive instead. The FAA's position has been that the higher cost will shift enough families to drive such that the increased risk from #2 will outweigh the benefits from #1. The NTSB disagrees (NTSB white paper on the topic is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/recletter...n_analysis.pdf).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zaynab
Interesting article on the Flyertalk home page: http://www.flyertalk.com/story/faa-e...e-message.html
Unfortunately, the only decent research article I found (admittedly, I did not delve into the databases too deeply) shows that the child safety seat requirement leads to more deaths, not less.
Reason: having to buy a seat for the child makes the trip less cost efficient, hence parents decide to drive, which is more dangerous than flying, thus leading to more deaths.
http://www.safetylit.org/citations/i...ls&citationIds[]=citjournalarticle_306176_38

As often happens in what seems reasonably policy: an unintended, dangerous consequence (in this case even deadly).
Lots of injuries of young children are due to parents juggling -- or being distracted/encumbered by -- too many things, carseats included. More kids still are probably injured while parents/guardians are removing or installing a car seat than are injured in a plane. The NTSB should consider that too.

Squeezing one side of a balloon, in the name of "safety/security" to reduce an extremely low probability risk, can cause the other side of the balloon to pop and drive up a higher probability risk of injury/death into a much higher probability risk of injury/death.

"To save the village, don't kill more of its people."

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 2, 2014 at 5:05 am
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of injuries of young children are due to parents juggling -- or being distracted/encumbered by -- too many things, carseats included. More kids still are probably injured while parents/guardians are removing or installing a car seat than are injured in a plane. The NTSB should consider that too.

Squeezing one side of a balloon, in the name of "safety/security" to reduce an extremely low probability risk, can cause the other side of the balloon to pop and drive up a higher probability risk of injury/death into a much higher probability risk of injury/death.

"To save the village, don't kill more of its people."
As I noted above, everybody involved in the debate (NTSB and FAA) agree on this principle - the debate is over the magnitude of the factors (particularly the degree to which requiring carseats on planes would cause consumers to choose to drive. FAA's estimate for the elasticity is a lot higher than NTSB's, hence the dispute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.