Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Two quick questions on TSA locks and corkscrews

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

From reading the TSA regs, I'll need to put my corkscrew which has a 3.5mm knife to tear the foil casing in my checked baggage. I'd rather be safe, as it's new and not cheap. Because of the fear of theft, I can secure the zipper pulls on my B&R with stronger zip ties. My plan is to secure all zippers. The question is how do I cut them off? I have a small nail clippers that have a file and the file is also 3.5mm. Can that be placed in my carryon?

I know how to place the zip ties, but where can I buy super strength ties? Do I really need to buy handcuff strength at a police supply store?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you buy "police supply store" zip ties you're just going to end up with a broken bag. TSA will cut them off just like they would a lock if they deem your bag needing examination. I travel with a cheap wine opener most of the time and if you want to take along your more expensive one I'd wrap it in something and just lock or regular zip tie your bag shut.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If you buy "police supply store" zip ties you're just going to end up with a broken bag. TSA will cut them off just like they would a lock if they deem your bag needing examination. I travel with a cheap wine opener most of the time and if you want to take along your more expensive one I'd wrap it in something and just lock or regular zip tie your bag shut.
Ok, makes sense. I'll just use regular zip ties and wrap the corkscrew in clothing. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by happymom2008
Ok, makes sense. I'll just use regular zip ties and wrap the corkscrew in clothing. Thanks.
Also yes your nail clipper can go in your carry on. Forgot that part. Some TSOs have made it their mission to ban them but it isn't specifically on the ban list and if the file is not over 4 inches you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.