Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Control at Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Passport Control at Frankfurt

I travelled from india to Sweden via Frankfurt last month. I hold a Sweden Resient permit. At frankfurt at the passport control i Showed my passport and resident permit and i was allowed to go. But after reaching Sweden i noticed that there was no stamping made in my passport during passport control at Frankfurt. I am returning India next week and worried that will it create a problem..
Old May 20, 2014, 6:05 am

I would not expect them to stamp the passport of someone who lives in a Schengen country and has a residence permit. What's the point? You don't need proof of a date of entry as you are not limited to 90 days.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:32 am

Next time just ask the official to stamp the passport.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rameshd1985
I travelled from india to Sweden via Frankfurt last month. I hold a Sweden Resient permit. At frankfurt at the passport control i Showed my passport and resident permit and i was allowed to go. But after reaching Sweden i noticed that there was no stamping made in my passport during passport control at Frankfurt. I am returning India next week and worried that will it create a problem..
Why would you be worried about it creating a problem. Not all Indian passports are stamped on entry into the Schegen zone.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: Skymiles - FO
I'm in a similar situation - I'm a non-Schengen citizen, but with a Schengen residence card. Most airports I've been to stamp me in and out of the Schengen zone, but I've also noticed that Frankfurt never does, once I show them my card.

The initial interaction always begins with me handing them my passport. They then flip through the book, looking at the ~100 Schengen stamps, trying to figure out if I've somehow over-stayed during what appear to be multiple "visits" to Europe. Once I get the plastic residence card out of my wallet a few seconds later, they quit looking at the stamps and just wave me through.

So ultimately, as long as you don't lose your residence card, the stamps appear to be unimportant.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:13 am

[QUOTE=RedSnapper;22917101]The initial interaction always begins with me handing them my passport. They then flip through the book, looking at the ~100 Schengen stamps, trying to figure out if I've somehow over-stayed during what appear to be multiple "visits" to Europe. Once I get the plastic residence card out of my wallet a few seconds later, they quit looking at the stamps and just wave me through.QUOTE]

Just curious--why not present your passport and residence card to the immigration officer simultaneously, and save those few seconds?

I only ask because whenever I have a visa, or in the past when I've had a separate residence card, I always make sure that's the first thing the IOs see. I either hand them my passport open to the visa page or hand them my passport with the plastic card on top of it. It seems to save fumbling and questions.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by candyann
Originally Posted by RedSnapper
The initial interaction always begins with me handing them my passport. They then flip through the book, looking at the ~100 Schengen stamps, trying to figure out if I've somehow over-stayed during what appear to be multiple "visits" to Europe. Once I get the plastic residence card out of my wallet a few seconds later, they quit looking at the stamps and just wave me through.
Just curious--why not present your passport and residence card to the immigration officer simultaneously, and save those few seconds?

I only ask because whenever I have a visa, or in the past when I've had a separate residence card, I always make sure that's the first thing the IOs see. I either hand them my passport open to the visa page or hand them my passport with the plastic card on top of it. It seems to save fumbling and questions.
I rarely show or pull out my European residence cards when entering or exiting the Schengen Zone. Why? Because I want to minimize the risk of losing the cards, because I'm not generally asked for the cards, and because presenting the cards slows down things as passport control then reviews more docs and seems to review things more thoroughly. In the main I'm doing everyone a favor by presenting just my US passport.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by candyann

Sometimes I do that, if I have to wait in line and I have time to arrange all of my documents. But when the line moves quickly or there is no line, the passport is the easiest thing to get out of my pocket. My residence card is jammed into my wallet, and it takes a few more seconds to take out. So sometimes they see the passport first.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:18 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I would not expect them to stamp the passport of someone who lives in a Schengen country and has a residence permit. What's the point? You don't need proof of a date of entry as you are not limited to 90 days.
This is the right answer. This was also confirmed by passport control in NL: if you have a residence permit, there is no need to check when you enter and exit, as you can stay as long as you want.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yno
This is the right answer. This was also confirmed by passport control in NL: if you have a residence permit, there is no need to check when you enter and exit, as you can stay as long as you want.
Some Schengen countries stamp in and out Schengen residents frequently (or even most of the time) even when presenting a Schengen country residence card in conjunction with say a US passport.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:30 am

Thanks. Good to know--my aim is always whatever is going to get me through most quickly
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:20 am

Canadian passport, not a EU resident: getting passport stamped everywhere in Schengen, except Italy. On multiple occasions when entering or exiting Italy, passport control officers just waved me through as soon as they see my Canadian passport, without stamping it, and even without really looking inside the passport.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Canadian passport, not a EU resident: getting passport stamped everywhere in Schengen, except Italy. On multiple occasions when entering or exiting Italy, passport control officers just waved me through as soon as they see my Canadian passport, without stamping it, and even without really looking inside the passport.
Wish the CBSA would do tht to canadians, whatever italians did to you...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by echino
Italy not stamping caused me a problem leaving ZRH in on a US passport. Just recently leaving CPH upon seeing the US passport I was stamped out without my passport being scanned.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Italy not stamping caused me a problem leaving ZRH in on a US passport. Just recently leaving CPH upon seeing the US passport I was stamped out without my passport being scanned.
What problem did ZRH give you? You missed your originally scheduled flight because of Italy not stamping your passport, or something else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.