Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond

So this was a shocker for me.
Just flew from London to Brazil via Houston and didn't need to collect and re-check my luggage. At Heathrow I got a little sticker which had a green T on it which I had to show before Immigration in Houston. As it was new to me I didn't think much of it, but sure enough, once I came to the immigation lines there was a special lane for those with the big green T. This lane was so short and fast that it was great. Even the officer I met was a guy with a great sense of humor. 10 points to this ^

So may I ask, is this valid for all passengers transiting or just for those coming on certain routes?

(Please merge if a thread has the same info)
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
sounds somewhat similar to the pre-check they do in DUB, quite nice.

Wish they would do something like that for FRA-EWR, full on customs and such, AND you get to go through TSA again...for no good reason....(is that just bad airport layout?)
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Could this be the "progressive clearance" that CBP has been talking about?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

I've had this in MIA a few years ago flying SCL-MIA-YUL on LA-AA... it's at some airports for some airlines when doing an international-international connection. You still have to go through immigration (sometimes expedited) and customs with your carry-on, but the checked luggage is transferred directly.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
New Policy Apparantly

Don't know if it's select flights. Flying SJO > IAH > LAS last weekend they announced everyone would have to pick up checked bags and re-check. After awhile they came back on and announcded they were just notified, those connecting to another international destination did not have to get their bags - they would be checked through.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by pixitha
Wish they would do something like that for FRA-EWR, full on customs and such, AND you get to go through TSA again...for no good reason....(is that just bad airport layout?)
If you have to go through customs with your checked luggage there is no way you can avoid TSA checkpoint if you are connecting elsewhere. That's because you've had access to your checked luggage and possibly to items that are prohibited in carry-on.

Good thing to everyone if US CBP does not waste time and US taxpayers' money screening luggage that is not going to stay in US in any case. Next thing would be not wasting money and time with persons transiting to third country either.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pixitha
sounds somewhat similar to the pre-check they do in DUB, quite nice.

This is actually quite different than CBP Preclearance at DUB. This is a sort of transit clearance and happens in the US, while CBP pre-clearance happens outside of the US. [As you may already know, TSA's PreCheck is different than CBP pre-clearance.]

"Progressive clearance" is when a flight into a country unloads persons for customs clearance at more than one airport in the country with the pax's personal admissibility (and perhaps cabin baggage) inspection is done at the first port of entry into the country but the checked baggage inspection is done at a following airport.

Originally Posted by CBP
Transiting the U.S.

(03/15/2013)All travelers transiting through the United States are required to be documented with a valid passport and a valid visa (or Electronic System for Travel Authorization – ESTA).

Progressive Clearance

Progressive clearance is a system where the admissibility inspection is conducted at the first port of arrival; the baggage inspection is conducted at the second port.

Procedures

Progressive clearance passengers will retain their stamped CBP Declaration (Form 6059B) and present it to the CBP officer at the appropriate U.S. port of final destination.

Stopover passengers (those who disembarked and stayed in the first city and re-boarded the flight to a second port in the United States) will retain and present it at the final port in the United States a CBP Declaration stamped “Domestic.”
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/iti_transit.xml
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:19 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
AFAIK Houston IAH was the first airport in "recent" times to have the new "One-stop" system. IIRC Chicago ORD has it now also but someone please confirm.

If you are on one airline itin, as in all on UNITED, and transiting int'l-to-int'l at IAH your bags will check through (has a friend use it BZE-IAH-LHR recently for example). And you process through the "one-stop" line which is just behind the special Global Entry area next to the diplo and crew line. I do not recall if there is one on the north side of FIS also.

Here is a bit more info though this does not cover everything. http://www.fly2houston.com/OneStop

If you have carry-on only you can use one-stop also and bypass the second line at customs (Carry-on only with GE allows this also).
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
AFAIK Houston IAH was the first airport in "recent" times to have the new "One-stop" system. IIRC Chicago ORD has it now also but someone please confirm.

If you are on one airline itin, as in all on UNITED, and transiting int'l-to-int'l at IAH your bags will check through (has a friend use it BZE-IAH-LHR recently for example). And you process through the "one-stop" line which is just behind the special Global Entry area next to the diplo and crew line. I do not recall if there is one on the north side of FIS also.

Here is a bit more info though this does not cover everything. http://www.fly2houston.com/OneStop

If you have carry-on only you can use one-stop also and bypass the second line at customs (Carry-on only with GE allows this also).
Chicago has it too. I thought Chicago was first, but I'm sort of partial despite having lived in both cities.

I don't use the one-stop at ORD but I have tried to use it.

Personally, I'd rather claim my bags at initial port of entry to the US because sometimes I am not going to be flying further on the itinerary after arrival in the US. But I'm more eccentric in that way.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Didn't they change the rules after 9/11?

I remember what exactly talking about. You don't have reclaimed your checked bag in Customs anymore. Your bag is automatically to your final destinations cities. You don't have pickup the bag. I remember our bags went through BSL. I don't have pickup the bag in CDG. Because it was EU customs control. It was automatically. You don't have worried about the bags.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH

I remember what exactly talking about. You don't have reclaimed your checked bag in Customs anymore. Your bag is automatically to your final destinations cities. You don't have pickup the bag. I remember our bags went through BSL. I don't have pickup the bag in CDG. Because it was EU customs control. It was automatically. You don't have worried about the bags.
The US sort of changed the rules after 9/11, and the limited transit (without admission into the country) was killed.

The EU continued to -- and continues to -- allow bags to transit the EU without claiming them at port of first arrival into the EU. The EU continued to -- and continues to -- allow passengers to be admitted into the EU at the first point of entry into the EU and/or Schengen Zone, and it continued to -- and continues to -- allow passengers to transit the EU without seeking admission into the EU. The physical lay-out of airports and some EU countries not being part of the Schengen Agreement and some EU countries being part of the Schengen Agreement does result in practical differences, but those were not a direct result of rule changes after 9/11.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US sort of changed the rules after 9/11, and the limited transit (without admission into the country) was killed.

The EU continued to -- and continues to -- allow bags to transit the EU without claiming them at port of first arrival into the EU. The EU continued to -- and continues to -- allow passengers to be admitted into the EU at the first point of entry into the EU and/or Schengen Zone, and it continued to -- and continues to -- allow passengers to transit the EU without seeking admission into the EU. The physical lay-out of airports and some EU countries not being part of the Schengen Agreement and some EU countries being part of the Schengen Agreement does result in practical differences, but those were not a direct result of rule changes after 9/11.
I just wonder how much US airlines lose in revenue because potential flyers skip the US completely on their itineraries due to this requirement.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by flyerhog
I just wonder how much US airlines lose in revenue because potential flyers skip the US completely on their itineraries due to this requirement.
I am one of those that they lost. I used to transit the US to fly from the UK to Pacific Islands and Australia. Transiting at LAX was so utterly awful that I stopped doing it. I now always fly via SIN or HKG.

If the US authorities were to be more sensible about travellers through their country then I would come back to the LAX route.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by N830MH

This has little or nothing to do with this thread, which is about transiting a US airport. Countries of the EU, and many others, do not require passengers to undergo immigration or customs processing when in transit, and this has been the case as long as I can remember.

Also, BSL isn't in the EU.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:59 am

Perhaps the flight was actually to MLH. In any case, the airport is physically located in France, which is part of the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.