Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Travelling w/Kids - Kiosks or GE at YVR?

In a couple of weeks, my wife, me, and our five and seven-year-old kids are flying YVR-LAX. We all have Global Entry. We are Canadian citizens, and it's a leisure trip.

Should we use the GE machines, or the automated kiosks? I've never used the kiosks, always the GE machine, but this is the first time travelling with the kids. The kids were fingerprinted when they got GE.

As a Canadian, when you use GE in YVR transborder you still have to answer all the "Where are you going what are you doing?" questions from a CBP officer, so it comes down to which machine is better experience for a family of four with two young kids.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by gglave
In a couple of weeks, my wife, me, and our five and seven-year-old kids are flying YVR-LAX. We all have Global Entry. We are Canadian citizens, and it's a leisure trip.

Should we use the GE machines, or the automated kiosks? I've never used the kiosks, always the GE machine, but this is the first time travelling with the kids. The kids were fingerprinted when they got GE.

As a Canadian, when you use GE in YVR transborder you still have to answer all the "Where are you going what are you doing?" questions from a CBP officer, so it comes down to which machine is better experience for a family of four with two young kids.

Thanks.
Can't say anything about GE as I don't use it (nor is my nationality eligible), but the automated kiosks do allow for the simultaneous control of People residing at the same address. In other words the two steps involving passport and Fingerprint scan are repeated for the number of People travelling
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yeah, that's basically the situation. We were living in the US for a bit but moved away and she hasn't been back for a few years. We just let the the card lapse and the residency expire rather than going through any official channels to give it up. (it was the newly married 2 year version anyway)
I was going to suggest trying to enter as a perm resident until I saw that she was on a conditonal GC since you don't give up perm resident status until it is explicitly revoked at the POE. But with a conditonal 2 yr GC that has expired that may not work. I'm not too familiar with marrage based GC - mine was employment based (H1B->GC(EB2)->US Citizen was the path I took) and for employment based GC there is no interview and a 10 yr GC is given right away. I'm not sure if CBP is linked to USCIS directly and keeps a record of GC status.

But I cannot see any reason why she cannot enter on ESTA and use the kiosks where allowed. However to be sure you can try asking on an immigration related forum. I know there are some where immigration lawyers host a web chat and you can ask questions like this for a more definitive answer.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I'm a UK citizen with an ESTA. However, at MIA I got an X and had to queue up (much to the frsutration of my American wife!). The guy couldn't tell me why I wasn't allowed through, but does anyone here know if there's anything I can do to prevent this next time?

We live in the UK and I've never started the process of getting a green card.

EDIT: The itinerary on that trip was ex-DUB, not LON so maybe that was an issue?
Next time you get an X, memorise the two-letter reference code at the bottom (Ref code). You can tell from a receipt where the issue lies. (for non-X receipts, the code is PG)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Crazydre
Next time you get an X, memorise the two-letter reference code at the bottom (Ref code). You can tell from a receipt where the issue lies. (for non-X receipts, the code is PG)
Are these codes documented anywhere? I got an X on my most recent APC entry because I timed out on the fingerprint entry screen (or at least thats why I think I got the X).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:54 pm

What if you're traveling from YYZ with a family member who has B1/B2 Visa but a 3rd world passport ? Possible to skip the stupid kiosks ?

Going via kiosk is useless because its sure that the travelers would end up in secondary anyway. The kiosk is an additional time wasted.

A couple of yrs ago we could skip it and just go to the officer booth directly, got stamped in, used those paper customs forms. Is this no longer an option?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Conor99
Are these codes documented anywhere? I got an X on my most recent APC entry because I timed out on the fingerprint entry screen (or at least thats why I think I got the X).
See page 33 of this document: Automated Passport Control Service Release 2.0
Interface Control Document
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:24 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

AP APIS Problem
traveler is not found on a manifest

BF Biometric Failure
traveler has no Enrollment Record on file or biometrics

CD Check Documentation
referral based on EITHER
foreign national traveler's passport expiration date is less than 6 months OR
USC or US LPR traveler's document query results in a mismatch or not "Issued" status

DR Declaration Referral
traveler answers Yes to any general declaration question

EA Entry Authorisation
visa waiver traveler does not have an approved ESTA status

ER Enforcement Referral
traveler has enforcement type issues

PG Passage Granted
traveler receives passage granted

RR Random Referral
traveler is selected for random compliance

TR Technical Referral
referral based on EITHER
traveler has attempted use the kiosk during the configurable enforcement lockout OR
biometric pre-verify check returned a fault response OR
the return code from a vetting query was other than normal completion OR
a cancellation command from the kiosk that the traveler processing has been terminated
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:29 am

If the Kiosk timed out on you completely, you would get the code TR. If only the biometrics couldn't be verified, you'd get BF.

When I flew ARN-JFK a while ago, the airline, Norwegian, were noobs and didn't send the APIS correctly - in fact nothing was submitted to the CBP, so I got an X with the code AP.

Since then, I ALWAYS go to the airport before departure and demand to be shown a printout of the APIS they've sent.

Last edited by Crazydre; Jan 19, 2016 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by cdn1
What if you're traveling from YYZ with a family member who has B1/B2 Visa but a 3rd world passport ? Possible to skip the stupid kiosks ?

Going via kiosk is useless because its sure that the travelers would end up in secondary anyway. The kiosk is an additional time wasted.

A couple of yrs ago we could skip it and just go to the officer booth directly, got stamped in, used those paper customs forms. Is this no longer an option?
You can, of course, but the Point is that B1/B2/BC holders can actually successfully use the kiosks at YVZ These days, or at least so it says on the airport's Website.

Also, it could be worth noting that a first-time ESTA passenger trying to use the kiosk other than at YVR/YVZ/MCO(?)/MIA would get an X-marked receipt with BF as the code because of the lack of Fingerprints. (I wonder how it works at the first-timer friendly Airports - three of them told me via E-Mail that first-timers can use the kiosks there)

Last edited by Crazydre; Jan 19, 2016 at 1:49 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gglave

Thanks.
For the APC kiosks, the Canadian and American children in that age range don't end up having fingerprint issues; but for GE, fingerprints are more of an issue -- even for adults. If there is no long/slow line before or after the APC kiosks and I were in the kind of situation you mentioned at some airports, I would be almost indifferent between using the GE kiosks and the APC kiosks. But I would still consider using the GE kiosks because of potential customs clearance benefits after baggage claim.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Thanks both of you for this document! I'm actually quite surprised it's available publicly like that. However I got the 'SF' code (this was an APC kiosk in DUB) which wasn't listed. Doing some more digging I found the Business Requirements Document on the CBP website as well which seems to indicate 'System Failure' as the likely reason.

When I did ask about the X at the exception desk (which was quicker compared to the normal APC queue everyone else had to go through), the agent said something about system issues. He went through the usual 60 seconds of why are you here and for how long before taking all 10 fingerprints and then stamping my passport and letting me on my way.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Will I be eligible:
- Entering JFK Terminal 7, International flight
- UK Passport with ESTA
- Visited EWR once in Mar 2014
- Age 16
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by james_yuen
Will I be eligible:
- UK Passport with ESTA
- Age 16
If JFK T7 has APC kiosks and they allow returning ESTAs (which they do at the majority of Airports), the answer is yes!

There should be signs indicating "returning ESTA" or "ESTA". Otherwise, there should be a Supervisor to direct pax - you can tell them you're "returning ESTA" and ask for "Automated passport control"

Note, "returning ESTA" (sometimes called "ESTA second time") means you visited the US (port of entry is irrelevant) since 2008. At many Airports, it must have been on your current passport

Last edited by Crazydre; Jan 24, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by james_yuen
Will I be eligible:
- UK Passport with ESTA
- Age 16
You're eligible, but I'm pretty sure T7 doesn't have the kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.