Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is not a state according to the TSA agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum

I just went through the TSA expedited line at O'Hare. I handed my boarding pass and driver's license to the TSA agent -she's like we don't accept foreign driver's licenses. I informed the agent that Hawaii is a state. She's was adamant that it was a foreign country. Calls her supervisor over and proceeds to ask him if Hawaii was a state or not. He's like yes! And rolls his eyes!
Where do the Feds find these employees ?!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
I posted the same thing a while back.... as it happened to me at MCI.....
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

April Fool's was 3 days ago.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: Platinum
The rainbow throws them mainlanders off all the time
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
They advertise on pizza boxes.

Oh, don't wait for a punchline. It's not a joke. They really do.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
They advertise on pizza boxes.

Oh, don't wait for a punchline. It's not a joke. They really do.
and gas stations.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I'm guessing a Puerto Rico, Guam, or USVI driver's license wouldn't have flown with this TDC either (pun intended )
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went through the TSA expedited line at O'Hare. I handed my boarding pass and driver's license to the TSA agent -she's like we don't accept foreign driver's licenses. I informed the agent that Hawaii is a state. She's was adamant that it was a foreign country. Calls her supervisor over and proceeds to ask him if Hawaii was a state or not. He's like yes! And rolls his eyes!
Pizza boxes!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:53 am

I'm so glad we have such vigilant, prepared, and astute guards protecting our safety! This woman deserves boundless praise for spotting the "Auslander," who was trying to board a flight with a driver's license from a foreign country. Kudos!

Wait until she finds out that Rhode Island isn't actually an island. All of those passengers with Rhode Island licenses have been trying to "pull a fast one" and evade her detection. "Rhode 'Island?' That's 'artful concealment.' Do you want to fly today?"

I feel safer just knowing that this woman is at O'Hare.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Tried going through the expedited line at BOS Term B a few months ago with my NEXUS card... TDC was adamant that "we don't accept NEXUS." I asked him to call a supervisor over, supervisor sighed loudly, and said "really?" gave me the magic squiggle and sent me on my way.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:42 am

Heck, there have been people on this site that have asked if you need a passport to fly to hawaii. So they're out there. (I'll admit, I'd be willing to bet most of those that ask that here have been new posters, but I know I've seen the question come up a few times.)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cbn42
April Fool's was 3 days ago.
More like "Groundhog Day" (the movie) when it comes to the TSA

I'll bet this cerebral lightweight who is supposed to keep us safer says the same thing about New Mexico as well
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:03 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
my cousin lives in New Mexico and has a NMDL.
He gets asked by people all the time how he likes the United States and about drug killings in his "country". Several folks ask him for a passport....
TSA once also, in BOS.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Never mind.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Apr 5, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reason: Thought we were over on the spitball side. Sorry.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:47 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've gotten crap for my Puerto Rico license a few of the times I've used it.

I've used it to cross borders before (well, "border" Spain/Gibraltar), I've presented to armed officers it as a 'cédula de identidad' in Latin American countries that ask me for one, but it's not good enough for a few TSO's.

At least they've gotten a lot better about the passport card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.