Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Traveling internationally to/from the US with outstanding traffic warrants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling internationally to/from the US with outstanding traffic warrants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AirportGuy7
I guess Chicago and some other states are different but that is exactly what happens in NY...they are handed to the local jurisdiction to process as a "fugitive from justice" and then extradited. Again, this only takes place IF the issuing agency says they will extradite.
For relatively minor moving violations, sounds like a major waste of money to extradite for such kind of traffic FTA. [The costs of locking up and transporting the person for such purposes makes perfect sense since the governmental budget and debt situations are to be disregarded. ]

Do NYS traffic FTAs or something else traffic violation related drop off after around 33 quarters or so? Some people talk about traffic violations and 8 year 3 month periods for something related to such.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 12, 2012 at 1:16 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 pm

Since when is a red light cam offense a criminal offense in the U.S.? What state is this?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Since when is a red light cam offense a criminal offense in the U.S.? What state is this?
Failure to appear for a traffic ticket can still result in issuance of a warrant, even when the underlying charge isn't criminal. Different jurisdictions do it differently though many busy departments don't have time to arrest people for traffic FTAs.

The only way I can think of that a camera could generate a criminal charge is if it catches one speeding in excess of 30mph over the limit (20 or 25 in certain jurisdictions, Virginia being the most obnoxious).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:15 am

The bottom line for the OP is this: nobody can say for sure whether there will or won't be a problem when you reenter the US. If you don't want to risk being detained for a few days on your return, you need to take care of the problem well before you reenter (to give time for the records to be updated).
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
Is it really an arrest warrant, or scary misleading boilerplate from a private traffic camera company trying to collect on a ticket because they get a cut of it.
This. What say you, OP?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:58 pm

How about if you are Military on orders with an outstanding traffic warrant traveling internationally?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jrh0138
How about if you are Military on orders with an outstanding traffic warrant traveling internationally?
Wont be an issue, unless 1)you return via state it was issued in and 2)the warrant requires them to arrest you (not all do). Even then unless it was a state warrant or the city is nearby they won't.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wont be an issue, unless 1)you return via state it was issued in and 2)the warrant requires them to arrest you (not all do). Even then unless it was a state warrant or the city is nearby they won't.
If, and that's a very big if, the warrant was to come to the attention of the admitting officer on your return to the US, AND if CBP was inclined to detain while ascertaining if the issuing authority desired extradition, AND the answer was yes, then it would still be highly unusual for CBP to detain a military member on orders for anything but serious crimes.

But if it got as far as the first two steps and CBP did not detain, you can be certain your chain of command will be informed of your situation....
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
If, and that's a very big if, the warrant was to come to the attention of the admitting officer on your return to the US, AND if CBP was inclined to detain while ascertaining if the issuing authority desired extradition, AND the answer was yes, then it would still be highly unusual for CBP to detain a military member on orders for anything but serious crimes.

But if it got as far as the first two steps and CBP did not detain, you can be certain your chain of command will be informed of your situation....
Yes. Not that it is necessarily the end of the world -- or even of career progression -- if that happens.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:46 am

Unhappy Flying with a warrant ? helppppp

Hello, I have a warrant for a ticket from a year ago which I missed court because i had to leave the country urgently but stupidly, never dealt with it.

**I am not a US citizen I was just a tourist**

I will be flying back to USA just to catch a flight back to Mexico i won't be there more than 7 hours.
Will I be stopped and arrested at the airport ?

Also, in my ticket they don't have my full name. I have two last names and they only used one and they have no record of my id/passport number. They only have half my name and my birth date. I will deal with this, i know this is horrible but I just don't have time right now and I need to get home.

I am already in contact with an attorney but my flight is very soon.

Thank you very much.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Most likely not. Especially if your port of entry into the US is not identical with the jurisdiction that issued the warrant.

Read this older thread discussing the same thing - post 12 sums your situation up nicely:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...l#post19822032

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Unless the warrant is from the local or state agency that has jurisdiction over the airport where the OP arrives at, they will probably not be aware of the outstanding warrant. This is because most agencies don't bother with putting a failure to appear on traffic violation warrant into NCIC.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mariael
Hello, I have a warrant for a ticket from a year ago which I missed court because i had to leave the country urgently but stupidly, never dealt with it.

**I am not a US citizen I was just a tourist**

I will be flying back to USA just to catch a flight back to Mexico i won't be there more than 7 hours.
Will I be stopped and arrested at the airport ?

Also, in my ticket they don't have my full name. I have two last names and they only used one and they have no record of my id/passport number. They only have half my name and my birth date. I will deal with this, i know this is horrible but I just don't have time right now and I need to get home.

I am already in contact with an attorney but my flight is very soon.

Thank you very much.
Highly unlikely to be a problem unless you draw attention to it and have some really bad luck. Asssuming this is for something like a speeding ticket for going ten miles over the speed limit on a 65MPH road.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:12 am

Thank you for your response.
It was for a speeding ticket.

I am honestly just trying to prepare for the worst, if they do in fact run my name, and the warrant is in the system.
Will it matter that my passport name is not the same as in the warrant ?
They never got my fingerprints or mugshot or anything.

Thanksss
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mariael
Thank you for your response.
It was for a speeding ticket.

I am honestly just trying to prepare for the worst, if they do in fact run my name, and the warrant is in the system.
Will it matter that my passport name is not the same as in the warrant ?
They never got my fingerprints or mugshot or anything.

Thanksss
For a substantial name mismatch, not likely to come up.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This

Originally Posted by AirportGuy7
I guess Chicago and some other states are different but that is exactly what happens in NY...they are handed to the local jurisdiction to process as a "fugitive from justice" and then extradited. Again, this only takes place IF the issuing agency says they will extradite.
Agree, this is what happens in most, if not all, places. The main police agency that serves the area (could be local PD, Sheriff's, or State Police) will take them from specialty agencies, like ICE or FWS, and process them for extradition.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.