Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help-gray hound bus station

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

need help-gray hound bus station

So im 16 and out of town. my dad drove me up to Dallas Tx and i need to catch a bus back to Houston Tx.

I do not have my school id or any type of id on me, just forgot to bring it.
I am able to make an online purchase. But main question is,
"Is there some way i can travel grayhound bus w/o my id."
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
If you do an online purchase/print, you will need an ID to board. If you buy your ticket at a Greyhound station, you probably don't need one for Dallas-Houston, but I have heard stories where someone was denied boarding because they didn't have ID, or they were unable to buy a ticket in the first place.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:13 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by wewelollol
So im 16 and out of town. my dad drove me up to Dallas Tx and i need to catch a bus back to Houston Tx.

I do not have my school id or any type of id on me, just forgot to bring it.
I am able to make an online purchase. But main question is,
"Is there some way i can travel grayhound bus w/o my id."
Their webpage www.greyhound.com has several sections about buying tickets and travel on the bus and none say anything about ID.

When trying to buy an express ticket it gives one this notice at step three:
•An $18 US Gift Ticket Fee applies when the primary card holder is not traveling.
•The reference number and valid photo ID are required to pick up tickets. As an option, you can create a pick-up password for the traveler to use as ID when picking up the tickets.
•Please arrive at the counter at least one hour before departure to receive your ticket and check luggage, if applicable.
•Special rules apply for passengers under the age of 14 who are traveling alone

So it seems you can get a ticket purchased online with a code and pick it up but that is 18 dollars which is more than the fare to Houston.

You could always say you don't have an ID but there is the catch 22 of proving you are over 15 and can ride alone. I'd give them a call and ask
1-800-231-2222

I don't think you would need one, especially if you buy with cash. Good luck

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Jun 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:00 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Their webpage www.greyhound.com has several sections about buying tickets and travel on the bus and none say anything about ID.

When trying to buy an express ticket it gives one this notice at step three:
•An $18 US Gift Ticket Fee applies when the primary card holder is not traveling.
•The reference number and valid photo ID are required to pick up tickets. As an option, you can create a pick-up password for the traveler to use as ID when picking up the tickets.
•Please arrive at the counter at least one hour before departure to receive your ticket and check luggage, if applicable.
•Special rules apply for passengers under the age of 14 who are traveling alone

So it seems you can get a ticket purchased online with a code and pick it up but that is 18 dollars which is more than the fare to Houston.

You could always say you don't have an ID but there is the catch 22 of proving you are over 15 and can ride alone. I'd give them a call and ask
1-800-231-2222

I don't think you would need one, especially if you buy with cash. Good luck
I regularly purchase tickets between NY Port Authority and Atlantic City (traveling on Greyhound), the purchase is on-line and I choose the option "will call". Contrary to what they post on the web site, I go to the "automated" computer terminal (generally 20 minutes before departure), and choose "will call", [I can use the "reference" number--which means typing digits] and swipe the cc I used to purchase on line--NO human intervention--and the ticket is printed. When boarding the bus the driver never has asked for an id.
[NYC-Atlantic City may be a "special" case; other markets may require id--I don't know.]
PS: It is unlikely that the OP has a cc--but hopefully the "reference" number should work.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:05 am

ive takin the greyhound several times you are never asked for id now when picking up tickets you purchased online i was asked for id
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I used to go between NY and Boston and never had to show ID to the driver.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:11 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Book on line at greyhound.com and then choose the option purchase your ticket a 7/11 you put in the zip code for the area you will be in, then it will give you a list of 7/11's in that area where you can pick up the ticket. You will have to purchase your ticket the day you make the reservation. You print out the reservation, take it to the 7/11 pay cash and the store clerk gives you a cash register receipt with the Greyhound info on it, no ID needed. Take that receipt plus the print out you originally did with you to board your bus.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:13 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
For 'Greyhound Express' reservations where everything is online and you print out your ticket, they have always checked ID when boarding in my experience. (presumably to prevent ticket reselling or credit card fraud)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:11 pm

I need a ticket

So I reserved a bus ticket from greyhound and I am goiong to pick it up at 711 do I need my I'd at all to pick up the ticket or get on the bus I have an expired I'd but I'm not sure if that works
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:24 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

No, you don't need ID. Just take the printout to 7-Eleven, pay with cash, and get your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.