Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight at MFE because of ID refusal and secondary - questions:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE

I was flying home from MFE today and had two interesting experiences.

First the "Border Control cop" asked if I was a US citizen to which I answered yes. He asked for my drivers licence. I showed my TSA issued TWIC card (transportation workers identity card) which is government issued ID. He said that wont work because that doesn't prove citizenship. Now I know there is a rule requiring ID but not citizenship?? I couldn't find my DL which was then an unnecessary hassle.

Then the TSA asked what were you doing down here? To which I answered "stuff". It was a mixture of business and pleasure but why is that required for travel. Long story short I received a retaliatory secondary screening which lasted just until my flight left requiring me to wait three hours until the next flight.

Do we have to answer personal questions to travel?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not so much airline specific it will be moved to the TS&S Practical forum. /Moderator
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by hotdogs
Then the TSA asked what were you doing down here? To which I answered "stuff". It was a mixture of business and pleasure but why is that required for travel.
It was TSA who asked you this? If so, they have absolutely no business asking questions of this nature in my opinion.

Legally you need a passport (or passport card) to enter the US from any foreign country; other government-issued IDs don't cut it. Immigration agents in principle can't refuse you entry to your own country without one, but they're allowed to ask questions to establish citizenship. It's much easier to just carry a passport.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I was IN my country traveling domestic from MFE-XXX

I didn't know I needed proof of citizenship....
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I was IN my country traveling domestic from MFE-XXX

I didn't know I needed proof of citizenship....
My mistake. When you mentioned your discussion with the border control cop, I took that to mean you drove across the border to MFE in order to catch a flight. Didn't realize they had random border agents interviewing people departing a US airport!

That said, I've been grilled at checkpoints in southern Arizona. They asked for my passport, and when I said I didn't have it with me (being a US citizen in the US) they didn't give me any grief, just asked a few simple questions (where are you from, where are you going) and let me on my way.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
See: Constitution-free zone
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Do we have to answer personal questions to travel?
Not from the TSA. CBP is a different matter, particularly that close to the border.

However, if you intend to stand up to the TSA workfarce, you must allow enough time before your flight to endure their petty punishments.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
You should visit your local congressional and/or senatorial office & have a chat with the staff. The only way any of this crap is going to stop is to have congress put an end to it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Just for kicks I filed a complaint on the TA website. I'll update here if anything comes of this.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Didn't realize they had random border agents interviewing people departing a US airport!
I often see CBP at TUS. Most of the time they just stand around at the TSA ID check talking amongst themselves, but the TSA here occasionally hands them Canadian passports.

I've also seen them take someone away in PHX for questioning. They just came up to the guy, asked him a few questions in Spanish and off they went.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Hello Hotdogs,

I am a frequent MFE flyer and this issue happened to me a while back. CBP is required to establish citizenship staus within a perimeter of the US border. Now with that being said, the agents at MFE have become very brazen to ask for ID when none is required when traveling in the US. I actually refused to provide my DL (a Texas a DL does not verify status). The irony is that when they ask for a DL, it proves nothing. Now the agent in question should have asked if you have your passport with you. Once your citizenship status has been confirmed NO FURTHER QUESTIONS need be asked or replied to.

I strongly urge you to complain to the CBP about this as I did in the past. Ironically, the agents in HRL are very respectful about this and don't approach passengers unless TSA has an issue.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
IHe asked for my drivers licence. I showed my TSA issued TWIC card (transportation workers identity card) which is government issued ID. He said that wont work because that doesn't prove citizenship.
Which state's drivers license proves citizenship?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Which state's drivers license proves citizenship?
Any that are in compliance with REAL ID, I think. (Well, technically, such DLs don't prove citizenship, but prove one has legal status to be in the US.) I'm not sure which states are actually in full compliance with REAL ID right now --- if any --- but if there are, that would be a positive answer to the question.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Would the NEXUS be acceptable?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Any that are in compliance with REAL ID, I think. (Well, technically, such DLs don't prove citizenship, but prove one has legal status to be in the US.) I'm not sure which states are actually in full compliance with REAL ID right now --- if any --- but if there are, that would be a positive answer to the question.
No state is in compliance with Real ID, and even the states that have started it have only started recently, so it will be years before all their residents even have the ability to have a Real ID license should they want one.

That does not answer the question as Real ID's don't prove citizenship. At least in my state, non US Citizens can also obtain a Real ID and it does not look any different than one issued to a US Citizen in the state.

In my state you also have to prove you have legal status for a regular license, not just a Real ID one.

Last edited by cordelli; Mar 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.