Search

Sikh Coalition's Guidance on TSA Procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Sikh Coalition's Guidance on TSA Procedures

The Sikh Coalition has written an excellent practical (non-political) explanation of what passengers can expect at TSA checkpoints. While written especially for Sikhs, I think the document is useful for all travelers. Here's the link:

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/documen...llofRights.pdf

The above link is to a document in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.

Also, back in November, the Sikh Coalition News also ran a helpful article summarizing the guidance:
The Sikh Coalition News:
Know Your Rights at the Airport

November 21, 2011

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2014 at 8:11 pm Reason: (updated URL from nonfunctioning to current)
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sheet seems to offer some decent guidance to people who need it, but the advice to wash hands before going through screening without mention the soap problem gives me pause.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The Sikh Coalition has written an excellent practical (non-political) explanation of what passengers can expect at TSA checkpoints. While written especially for Sikhs, I think the document is useful for all travelers. Here's the link:

The Sikh Coalition:
AIRPORT SCREENING PROCEDURES AS APPLIED TO SIKH TRAVELERS AND YOUR RIGHTS AS A SIKH AIR TRAVELER

Last Revised: January 13, 2011
(PDF)

The above link is to a document in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.

Also, back in November, the Sikh Coalition News also ran a helpful article summarizing the guidance:
The Sikh Coalition News:
Know Your Rights at the Airport

November 21, 2011
Great info and easily understood. It should be in the sticky.

phrase edited by moderator

Originally Posted by Ari
The sheet seems to offer some decent guidance to people who need it, but the advice to wash hands before going through screening without mention the soap problem gives me pause.
I always wash up before going through and it is never a problem. I handle and am exposed to chemicals in my work, so I always do a final scrubbing. I just avoid the sanitizer until after the screening.

Last edited by squeakr; Dec 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm Reason: snark
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: DL
Self-Patdown

The document mentions a self pat-down at least of turbans for ETD testing... So if that's acceptable, why can't we do a whole body self-pat down and then get our hands swabbed and be on our way. The whole pat-down thing doesn't really seem to be actually looking for anything on the body (at least that was my take; between rubbing my feet for 30 seconds and the waistband thing is going to reveal anything), just a way to get any explosive traces. That said I'm still not convinced ETD swabs could do anything if someone carefully concealed an explosive and made sure to clean up carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.