Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are USA passports stamped upon entrance to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are USA passports stamped upon entrance to USA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by pepinowski
For the last two years, I have been coming to Ireland approx every 3 months for personal reasons. I stay about 10 days each trip. I have never paid attention to the stamping process at US Immigration pre-clearance in the Dublin airport.

Today, when I flew into Dublin, I was harranged by Irish Immigration because I didn't have any US entry stamps in my passport associated with my previous trips. I was told this was highly unusual. Of course I had no answer as to why this would be. The officer detained me for about 20 minutes, asked to see my ticket to return to the US, took my picture, entered me into their database, (which I assume was a watch list), took my Irish hosts information, and asked me all kinds of questions. I thought I wasn't going to be let in. All because the US is inconsistent in its stamping policy.

It is humorous that the two organizations are in the same building and have no idea what each other are doing :-)

In the future, I will be requesting a stamp each time I enter the US when traveling abroad. I assume I am now on some sort of watch list for the Irish...*sigh*
Welcome to FlyerTalk! You probably met a Garda having a bad day
Old May 10, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've now gotten US entry stamps from 31 different ports of entry. Images of them are scanned at: http://web.mit.edu/stransky/www/us_e...rt_stamps.html
Old May 11, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by scottsinct
I've now gotten US entry stamps from 31 different ports of entry. Images of them are scanned at: http://web.mit.edu/stransky/www/us_e...rt_stamps.html
I've entered the US probably 40 or 50 times, but because I'm Canadian, I've only gotten a stamp once.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
I've entered the US probably 40 or 50 times, but because I'm Canadian, I've only gotten a stamp once.

They'll usually stamp your passport if you ask.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:58 pm

I think I had my passport stamped by the US once, in 1983 (about 4 passports ago). After that, they just stamped the customs slip and since getting into GE, nothing.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chucko
I think I had my passport stamped by the US once, in 1983 (about 4 passports ago). After that, they just stamped the customs slip and since getting into GE, nothing.
Unless I'm using GE or APC kiosks, CBP and predecessors have stamped my US passports most times when it comes to flying into the US on commercially scheduled passenger flights.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unless I'm using GE or APC kiosks, CBP and predecessors have stamped my US passports most times when it comes to flying into the US on commercially scheduled passenger flights.
I've noticed an East Coast/West Coast difference. West Coast entries usually didn't try to stamp arrivals, East Coast usually did. I haven't come in through mid-US.

LAX TBIT has NEVER stamped my passport.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My most recent entry was EWR and I received the stamp much to my surprise, first US stamp in this passport. In the past 18 months I have entered without stamp at ORD, LAX, and YHZ Preclear.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
I've noticed an East Coast/West Coast difference. West Coast entries usually didn't try to stamp arrivals, East Coast usually did. I haven't come in through mid-US.

LAX TBIT has NEVER stamped my passport.
Ditto SEA. My theory was that US stamping was intended to protect Americans from accusations of overstaying after departing from places with less stringent exit controls and/or missed Schengen exit stamps (i.e., BCN if you catch them right after their siesta), but this thread leads me to believe that it's probably just the whim of whoever happens to be in charge at a given airport and/or the current price of ink refills ...
Old May 27, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We've returned to the US twice in the last few months through DFW and CLT. Just got our passports out for our trip next week and thumbed through the pages. No reentry stamps in either of our passports. Both of these recent trips were before we got GE so that wasn't a factor. One return trip, the one through DFW, originated in Istanbul, Turkey. Both passports had their share of Turkish entry and exit stamps and our Turkish visas. The second return trip, the one through CLT, originated in Rome, Italy. No visas but a couple of entry and exit stamps from EU and non-EU countries we visited. Again, no reentry stamps so EU or non-EU apparently made no difference to CBP at either airport.

Last edited by Randyk47; May 27, 2015 at 9:17 am
Old May 27, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Stamps are important for Legal reasons

Originally Posted by Randyk47
We've returned to the US twice in the last few months through DFW and CLT. Just got our passports out for our trip next week and thumbed through the pages. No reentry stamps in either of our passports. Both of these recent trips were before we got GE so that wasn't a factor. One return trip, the one through DFW, originated in Istanbul, Turkey. Both passports had their share of Turkish entry and exit stamps and our Turkish visas. The second return trip, the one through CLT, originated in Rome, Italy. No visas but a couple of entry and exit stamps from EU and non-EU countries we visited. Again, no reentry stamps so EU or non-EU apparently made no difference to CBP at either airport.
Stamps are important - you might find yourself needing those stamps for later legal/immigration reasons.

To wit:

1. to obtain a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad for my son (and thus document his US status as a natural born citizen) I had to prove I was not only a citizen but that I had also physical presence in the United States for at least five years. This included providing a detailed listing of all exits/entries to the US. Without the stamps in my passports (save all those canceled ones!) there is no way I would have been able to accurately recall the exit/entry dates of the many trips I was lucky enough to go on as a small child.

2. As part of the K1 Fiancee visa process both I and my now-wife had to also document physical presence in the US. Again, without the stamps in the passports neither of us would have been able to accurately recall all our dates of exit/entry.

3. If my son who was born abroad has children who are also born abroad those children (my grandkids) will not necessarily be eligible to claim natural born citizenship if my son cannot show he has at least 5 years of physical presence in the United States. Stamps of his passports will be very important in documenting his physical presence.

4. Stamps in passports can be very useful confirmation/documentation during national security investigations and for obtaining security clearances.

Get those stamps because 1) one can never know when such information is needed, and 2) while the government keeps this information electronically one cannot necessarily rely on the government to give you information it has about you when you need to give that same information to the government to prove/disprove or confirm something about you.

[sometimes they like to see how resourceful/clever you can be or trustworthy you are by not giving you the information - which can be quite amusing or aggravating, depending].
Old May 27, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Section 107
Stamps are important - you might find yourself needing those stamps for later legal/immigration reasons.

To wit:

1. to obtain a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad for my son (and thus document his US status as a natural born citizen) I had to prove I was not only a citizen but that I had also physical presence in the United States for at least five years. This included providing a detailed listing of all exits/entries to the US. Without the stamps in my passports (save all those canceled ones!) there is no way I would have been able to accurately recall the exit/entry dates of the many trips I was lucky enough to go on as a small child.

2. As part of the K1 Fiancee visa process both I and my now-wife had to also document physical presence in the US. Again, without the stamps in the passports neither of us would have been able to accurately recall all our dates of exit/entry.

3. If my son who was born abroad has children who are also born abroad those children (my grandkids) will not necessarily be eligible to claim natural born citizenship if my son cannot show he has at least 5 years of physical presence in the United States. Stamps of his passports will be very important in documenting his physical presence.

4. Stamps in passports can be very useful confirmation/documentation during national security investigations and for obtaining security clearances.

Get those stamps because 1) one can never know when such information is needed, and 2) while the government keeps this information electronically one cannot necessarily rely on the government to give you information it has about you when you need to give that same information to the government to prove/disprove or confirm something about you.

[sometimes they like to see how resourceful/clever you can be or trustworthy you are by not giving you the information - which can be quite amusing or aggravating, depending].
You make some good points and while they don't all impact me.....it isn't like I plan at my age on any foreign born children or wives in my near future. Funny thing is that when we filled out our GE applications the list of countries was long and varied. We actually thought we might be asked about those travels as some countries have been on and off hot spots over the past couple of years. Never came up in either interview. That said I actually hadn't paid much attention to US reentry stamps until this thread. Probably will now I've been reminded that they potentially could be an issue.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I always ask when reentering the US (I'm trying to get every air port of entry samp) and I've never been refused. This includes my last two trips back (ATL and SEA) where I had to use the automated kiosk for entry. Now that I have GE though my stamp getting days may be over.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Since getting GE, I haven't been stamped.

Before GE, the only times I WASN'T stamped were at YYZ, where they stamp the BP.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by N1120A
Since getting GE, I haven't been stamped.

Before GE, the only times I WASN'T stamped were at YYZ, where they stamp the BP.
Since getting GE, I still get stamped by U.S. CBP at airports; but the CBP stamping now is mostly taking place when I'm not using GE kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.