Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on a pumpkin?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Carry-on a pumpkin?

No, the title is not a typo. Seriously. I grow pumpkins in my backyard. I'm flying to see family and want to take them one. I don't want to check it. Do you think there's any problem carrying a roughly 20lb squash onboard an airplane? My concern is not so much AA--the thing's gonna be in a large backpack--but more with security--does a pumpkin contain liquid? Could it be used as a weapon?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:55 am

I know this is/may be serious, but that started my day off with a good laugh!

I honestly have no idea, but LOL
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Wow, this is a new one... I can't tell you about pumpkins, but I can tell you that it's dicey carrying on bowling balls, which is about the closest thing I can relate to this. Sometimes TSA declares bowling balls must be checked, other times they let them go through. I think you have hit the nail on the head, though. The real question is does a pumpkin contain liquid and I think the answer is no. I'd say go for it.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Even if the TSA let it pass I'd have thought the carry-on size limits will be a risk too ...

Length shall not exceed 22in / 56cm, width shall not exceed 14in / 35cm and height shall not exceed 9in / 23cm

9in isn't much of a height for a 20lb pumpkin
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What did the TSA website say on the matter?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
What did the TSA website say on the matter?
Fair question. The only guidance I was able to find on TSA.gov was that "fruits" are ok to carry on, but they give, you know, a plum as an example. And I don't think I'm going to be able to point to my iphone in security, show them the language and say, "see, it says fruit is ok." And I suppose a pumpkin is a vegetable anyway.

As for the carryon size requirments: Well, first of all, we know those aren't enforced. Second, and more importantly, there is a lenght, width, and height requirement, but I've never seen any scientific proof for exactly how to apply those to a pumpkin. Meaning is the longest axis the lenght or the height? is a really "tall" pumpkin really tall, or is just being measured on the wrong axis. I'm not being funny--I'm dead serious. Height, width and length is just another way of saying it has three distinctly measurable sides, and each can be a certain length. Put another way, a 14 inch "tall" pumpkin which is 9 inches "wide" when placed on its side is 9 inches tall and 14 inches in length.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
We experienced the TSA considering Peanut Butter in an unopened plastic jar as a liquid a few years ago. If it is important I'd box it very good and check it, or box it and FedEx it.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In pie form, it may be a gel, but I'd guess the whole gourd ought to be okay.

This should probably be moved to the TSS forum (kind and gentle subforum), that's where the experts are.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:43 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
We experienced the TSA considering Peanut Butter in an unopened plastic jar as a liquid a few years ago.
Just last week, I saw a guy have his jar of peanut butter confiscated by the TSA at LGA.

As the OP mentioned, the first hurdle the pumpkin has to clear is TSA, not AA, so the question here actually pertains more to airport security. As such, we'll soon shift this over to the new "Practical Travel Safety Issues" forum for the experts there to chime in.

Thanks! /JY1024, AA forum co-moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 15, 2011 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bts09
As for the carryon size requirments: Well, first of all, we know those aren't enforced.
Many people have found to their cost that the wrong GA on the wrong day will absolutely enforce the rules as they are subject to personal penalty if they don't and you really don't want to think about what will happen if you gate-check a pumpkin, I guess 'Squash' will be an apt description.

Second, and more importantly, there is a lenght, width, and height requirement, but I've never seen any scientific proof for exactly how to apply those to a pumpkin.
You are over-thinking this one.

Is any dimension of your pumpkin less than 9" if not then game over.

If so then is the next largest dimension under 14" etc ...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Mark_T
and you really don't want to think about what will happen if you gate-check a pumpkin, I guess 'Squash' will be an apt description.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:01 am

And I suppose a pumpkin is a vegetable anyway.

No, it is a fruit. I think the only potential problem will be wether it can be used as a weapon. This will probably come down to a discresionary call on the part of the TSA agents on duty. I think nine times out of ten it will be let through.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for the carryon size requirments: Well, first of all, we know those aren't enforced. Second, and more importantly, there is a lenght, width, and height requirement, but I've never seen any scientific proof for exactly how to apply those to a pumpkin...I'm not being funny--I'm dead serious.
No, I think you're being silly. It should be rather straightforward. Does the pumpkin fit in a carry-on bag that is no larger than 22x14x9 inches or not?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold
For what its worth I take farm fresh eggs through all the time and never have an issue. They obviously contain liquid but I guess less than 3 oz. each! I would think the Pumpkin would be ok if the size works.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT
I had to laugh when I first saw the title. I thought you might be the person who was behind me at SFO Monday night!

I packed a 5 lb pumpkin in my carry-on and it caused some very minor issues with TSA. At first they were confused as to what it was and sent my bag thru the x-ray machine twice. It took me a second to realize what was going on so I told them it was a pumpkin. They then wanted to make sure it "was really a pumpkin" and swabbed it for explosives and searched the rest of my bag. Not a big deal since I was early, and we all had a pretty good laugh about it. I have a sneaking suspicion they thought I was nuts, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.