Wiki Posts
Search

No downside to leaving belt on

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SWG Plat
No downside to leaving belt on

I am on a crusade to document and expose the idiocy I experience when traveling. I don't know if it does any good, but at least I don't feel like I just took it.

Today's lesson: leaving your belt on.

This obviously depends on what you're wearing. If I'm not wearing a suit where my belt is exposed, I leave my belt on with my shirt covering it. One of two things has happened so far. On most occasions, it fails to register on the screen and I just walk through. The one time where they noticed it, all he asked to do was pat it down (I made him change his gloves, of course). Then I went through.

In my estimation you save time even in the instance where they notice the belt and want to check it. Much better than having my pants fall down as I go through.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I do the same thing - unless I'm asked specifically to remove it, I wear it.

PreCheck has reduced the instances where I need to take this approach.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A lot of checkpoints (at non-Pre airports) though insist if they see the belt; they won't let you even go into the nude-o-scope or through the WTMD without removing it.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:27 pm

I always leave my bet on (unless a clerk says take it off) and never had a problem at the WTMB. Unfortunately that belt broke (at ORD no less) and haven't magnet tested my new one yet. I've found that if the buckle isn't magnetic it won't be a problem at the WTMD 99.9% of the time.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I always take my belt off because if I didn't it would ring the metal detector (if one is used) for sure.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I always take my belt off because if I didn't it would ring the metal detector (if one is used) for sure.
I take my belt off for the same reason. I don't want the metal detector to go off. I feel good everytime I walk through the metal detector and it doesn't go off. Its like I scored points or something.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Echo
I am on a crusade to document and expose the idiocy I experience when traveling. I don't know if it does any good, but at least I don't feel like I just took it.

Today's lesson: leaving your belt on.

This obviously depends on what you're wearing. If I'm not wearing a suit where my belt is exposed, I leave my belt on with my shirt covering it. One of two things has happened so far. On most occasions, it fails to register on the screen and I just walk through. The one time where they noticed it, all he asked to do was pat it down (I made him change his gloves, of course). Then I went through.

In my estimation you save time even in the instance where they notice the belt and want to check it. Much better than having my pants fall down as I go through.
The only person this hurts is the guy behind you who gets delayed while the Officer checks under the belt.

Practically speaking this matters less and less as pre-check becomes the norm.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The only person this hurts is the guy behind you who gets delayed while the Officer checks under the belt.

Practically speaking this matters less and less as pre-check becomes the norm.
Practically speaking why are we worrying about belts? I won't even go into the shoes, liquids, and tiny knives.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Practically speaking why are we worrying about belts? I won't even go into the shoes, liquids, and tiny knives.
There is the issue when TSA agents ask to remove everything out of your pockets including belts and shoes. If this question is asked, then there maybe consequences for not following instructions. YMMV.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Practically speaking why are we worrying about belts?
Have you ever heard of belt buckle knifes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.