Wiki Posts
Search

Gorillapod through security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue
Gorillapod through security

I have a gorillapod tripod in a side pocket of my camera bag.

Will this be a problem when taking the bag through airport security?
I guess it could be seen as something bad by some people..

I will be passing through security at OSL, LHR T5 and JFK T7 on my trip..

When in my bag it looks like this:

When taken out it looks like this:

Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:21 am

No, you should not have any problems. Have a good trip!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: KL, LH, DL, SAS, FI, Marriott, Hilton
I have taken my gorillapod through security many times, also inside my backpack. Never had a problem and never been stopped for additional screening for it.

Enjoy OSL!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mckvakk
I have a gorillapod tripod in a side pocket of my camera bag.

Will this be a problem when taking the bag through airport security?
It depends on whether or not you end up with a TSA clerk who wants to confiscate...accept the voluntary surrender of that item.

You should not have any issues.

On the other hand, you should not have to submit to being irradiated and/or groped by a high-school drop-out hired from an ad on the top of a pizza box, who is almost infinitely more likely to be a thief, rapist, child molester, or other type of criminal or deviant than they'll ever actually find a terrorist, just to board an aircraft.

Also, any TSA clerk can choose to claim your item as prohibited at any time:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

The prohibited items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure travelers' security, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the Prohibited Items List is prohibited.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
You should not have a problem. I routinely travel with a 20" Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod and machined aluminium ballhead. In well over 100 security screenings, all I've received from TSA is one x-ray operator asked "is that a tripod in your bag?" I told him yes, and that was it.

Frankfurt screeners wanted to see the ballhead because it looked like a grenade, and the Nice airport screeners said that a tripod was a club and therefore a weapon. But no problems from TSA.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:50 pm

I've taken my Gorillapod through countless airports on five of the seven continents and nobody has batted an eye at any of them.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No, you shouldn't have a problem.

I occasionally run into a TSO who has no clue about a tripod, monopod, or other piece of similar gear, and even a few times have been lectured that I "should check the item to avoid delays in the future," but by and large they don't even draw a second glance or bag check.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by exerda
No, you shouldn't have a problem.

I occasionally run into a TSO who has no clue about a tripod, monopod, or other piece of similar gear, and even a few times have been lectured that I "should check the item to avoid delays in the future," but by and large they don't even draw a second glance or bag check.
+1

I've had a bag check once and they spent a little time on the gorillapod, but no major issues. [They also said 'check the item to avoid delays in the future,' but I haven't, and it hasn't appeared to trigger anything since then..]
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mckvakk
When in my bag it looks like this:

Didn't notice it stuck out of your bag. Might even make things easier since if they glance at your bag they may see what it is.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue
An update for those interested:

I decided to put it in checked baggage OSL-LHR-JFK

But on the return trip i forgot to do this.

The TSA guy at the scanner at JFK asked what it was and when i answered tripod i examined it thoroughly and asked someone i think was a supervisor, which said OK.

LHR T5 security didn't say a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.