Wiki Posts
Search

Newark/Miami Connections Security Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Newark/Miami Connections Security Checkpoints

Hey guys,

I live in the UK and I'm about to go on holiday to Nassau. I have a Continental travel voucher which means that bizarrely the best way for me to get there is to fly from

London Heathrow -> Newark with Continental
Newark -> Miami with American Airlines
Miami -> Nassau with American Airlines

Nassau -> Newark with Continental
Newark -> London Heathrow with Continental

My question is about security checkpoints when you're just connecting between flights. Like many people on this forum, I am quite passionate in my distaste for the ridiculous security measures that are being implemented, and I fear that if I come up against one I will opt out of the scan and then become rather enraged when the TSA goon gropes me in the patdown (which would not end well for me, I fear).

I was hoping that, assuming I managed to get through Heathrow ok, will I get through Newark and Miami without being scanned/groped, since I should never have to leave the departures area?

You obviously have to put up with security checkpoints when you checkin, but would I have to put up with it if I'm just going from one gate to another?

I will have carryon luggage only, and the only terminal change would be from terminal C to terminal A at EWR for my American Airlines flight.

I am genuinely considering discarding my voucher, and paying an extra $1000 to fly direct to Nassau just to avoid this rubbish. No religious reason for it or anything - I just find the idea of being pictured naked/groped and being told it's to protect me quite hideous.

Cheers
BHM
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will clear TSA at EWR in both directions.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
You will clear TSA at EWR in both directions.
Why would he clear security at EWR on the way back?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Well, Nassau is clearly not in the US. I suppose it's possible that he might pre-clear TSA/CBP in Nassau rather than in EWR. Either way, he'll have to transit a TSA checkpoint somehow on the return trip.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, Nassau is clearly not in the US. I suppose it's possible that he might pre-clear TSA/CBP in Nassau rather than in EWR. Either way, he'll have to transit a TSA checkpoint somehow on the return trip.
Why. If Nassau is a preclearance location-- and it has been one since 1974-- then the OP would arrive at a domestic gate in EWR.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Why. If Nassau is a preclearance location (which it has been since 1974), then the OP would arrive at a domestic gate in EWR.
That was the piece I wasn't aware of. So, the OP will have to go through TSA-style screening in Nassau on the way back.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
That was the piece I wasn't aware of. So, the OP will have to go through TSA-style screening in Nassau on the way back.
Perhaps, but it likely isn't as bad as actual TSA. The Canadian preclearance security isn't as bad as true TSA . . .
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
Sorry - Nassau is pre-clearance. OP won't clear TSA in EWR on return, but security at Nassau has to meet TSA standards.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Sorry - Nassau is pre-clearance. OP won't clear TSA in EWR on return, but security at Nassau has to meet TSA standards.
Right. However, the TSA standards for such locations are different than what they mandate at home for themselves. For example, shoes are allowed on in Canada and they don't have the same gropes as true TSA, even for transborder flights.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Ari
Right. However, the TSA standards for such locations are different than what they mandate at home for themselves. For example, shoes are allowed on in Canada and they don't have the same gropes as true TSA, even for transborder flights.
Official CATSA policy is actually shoes-off for US flights (while domestic and int'l are indeed not required to remove shoes).

However, plenty of people (myself included) have passed thru transborder security without the need to remove shoes. And the security is definitely less "personal" than the TSA in the US.

I don't think that TSA sets the standard for security at pre-clearance posts. They can make such a request, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be honoured.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by BigHairyMonk

I am genuinely considering discarding my voucher, and paying an extra $1000 to fly direct to Nassau just to avoid this rubbish. No religious reason for it or anything - I just find the idea of being pictured naked/groped and being told it's to protect me quite hideous.

Cheers
BHM
I highly recommend that. Intl-Intl flights via the US are not exactly a terrific experience. Not just the security - but the whole clearing immigration (which btw - EWR has long lines depending on what time you land), is a huge factor that I'd weigh in. Also the ESTA you have to fill out online... Which costs money.

Pay $1,000, and avoid starting your vacation with the nonsense down in the US.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Can you tell me what OP stands for please?

I think I'll probably take your advice. The $1000 will knock about 7-9 hours off my travel time because it's direct, and if the alternative involves molestation then direct sounds even more attractive.

Also I didn't realise I'd have to fill out the ESTA just to pass through an airport.

Thanks for the advice!

BHM
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:10 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'll probably take your advice. The $1000 will knock about 7-9 hours off my travel time because it's direct, and if the alternative involves molestation then direct sounds even more attractive.
That's the best idea.

By the way, OP means original poster.

And welcome to flyertalk.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks

I'll catch up on the abbreviations soon.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:30 am

Thanks

I'll catch up on the abbreviations soon.
You may want to look at this stickey-thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-glossary.html
and welcome to FT, BigHairyMonk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.