Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding due to SSSS on Boarding Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding due to SSSS on Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Just a data point. I read it to mean SATTSO was offering to help, too.

I reported the very bad experience of a wheelchair-bound pax at SAT a few months ago. SATTSO offered to look into it if I provided specific information. (I declined for fear of retaliation against that individual. Moot point: she will never fly again. She now has panic attacks if a checkpoint clip comes up on the evening news).

In another thread (regarding number of opt-outs at LAS, SATTSO posted that he 'made a call' to someone he knows to get information not available to us pax.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 15, 2011 at 3:27 am Reason: argumentative
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Missing from all of this is the distinct possibility that the UK advised DL that it would deny OP's friend admission. Those posters who assert that anyone with a BP and passport who presents himself at the gate in a timely manner must be boarded are simply wrong.

This is then between DL and UK immigration authorities and it is entirely possible that TSA has no role whatsoever (people get denied boarding on intl. flights every day for document problems).

The UK (and other nations including the USA), make the carrier 100% responsible for returning a pax denied entry to his original departure point. If this is the case, DL would not have denied OP's friend transport from FNT-DTW (presuming that OP's friend is not otherwise prohibited from flying), but would have denied him boarding at the intl. gateway, that is DTW.

Why a BP with "SSSS" was printed is unclear.

At a minimum, OP's friend needs to work this out with DL in the first instance. It does no good if DL simply reissues him a ticket/BP for another flight if the situation will repeat itself at the gate.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OP also mentions that 14 people, not just the OP's friend, were sent back. He doesn't say who the other people were, but I don't get the impression the OP's friend knew them.

If that's the case, it seems unlikely it is a single pax/ticket issue.

Odd indeed.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
One of the things about FlyerTalk is that if someone posts bad information it will usually get questioned fairly quickly. That's just the nature of a huge chatboard with many experienced posters. Somewhat unique to this Travel Safety/Security forum is that long time members will be more than willing to answer and explain things to new members, no matter how many times its been covered before. Compare this to some of the snarky "why don't you just do a search?" replies in some of the airline forums.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 15, 2011 at 3:32 am Reason: off topic
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cb1111
There are additional ways of getting the SSSS markings without being on a "list," but this entire story is implausible.

It makes no sense to get a SSSS marking on a connecting flight when one is already in the sterile area.
Well, that which some may think makes no sense was a daily occurrence for years and years and years.

Also, it actually has been possible for a watch or no-fly list match to trigger on one segment of a trip but not another.

Originally Posted by Often1
Missing from all of this is the distinct possibility that the UK advised DL that it would deny OP's friend admission.
Not missing. Check out the post about UK APIS related processing kicking back.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 7, 2019 at 1:49 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just in case it isn't clear already, the "riots" in Birmingham were nowhere near the airport which is a bit outside of the city. Although it was made to look spectacular on the TV news it was pretty small scale compared to the events in London.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Just in case it isn't clear already, the "riots" in Birmingham were nowhere near the airport which is a bit outside of the city. Although it was made to look spectacular on the TV news it was pretty small scale compared to the events in London.
Hello everyone.
Wow, a lot of comments since I last checked this earlier on today.
I don't understand all of the jargon used, but I just wanted to say thank you all for trying to help my friend.
He's been onto Delta today and they're issuing him a full refund (minus taxes) as it's stated (on what I don't know) that he's entitled to one.
Now all he has to worry about is going through it all over again? Nobody still has given him a proper explanation.
Thank you to the person (sorry I don't remember who it was) that gave the telephone number for Delta HQ in Atlanta - he will be taking it up with them.
Thanks all!

Originally Posted by chollie
OP also mentions that 14 people, not just the OP's friend, were sent back. He doesn't say who the other people were, but I don't get the impression the OP's friend knew them.

If that's the case, it seems unlikely it is a single pax/ticket issue.

Odd indeed.
That is correct. He doesn't know any of the other people placed on a return flight to FNT.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 7, 2019 at 1:49 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Good luck to you and your friend. Keep giving us complete information as it comes in and we will try to help.

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not missing. Check out the post about UK APIS related processing kicking back.
Which carrier would actually submit the UK APIS? Delta gets the pax as far as AMS, from there it is KLM to the final destination.

When I fly similar routes, I've always been under the impression the UK APIS is being done ex-AMS by KLM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Which carrier would actually submit the UK APIS? Delta gets the pax as far as AMS, from there it is KLM to the final destination.

When I fly similar routes, I've always been under the impression the UK APIS is being done ex-AMS by KLM.
The operating carrier to the country itself is the party that may be held accountable by the relevant government authority (i.e. the UK in this kind of situation) in situations of missing or inaccurate APIS data. It can be submitted by carriers beside the operating one for the final segment too.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 7, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
SSSS printed on a BP would not stop or prevent anyone from entering a country.

The SSSS is specific to US air carriers and the TSA.

As long as your friend had a valid US passport and was at the departure gate 45 minutes prior to boarding, there is no reason your friend should have been denied boarding in Detroit.

Speak to the Delta supervisor at FNT - if that doesn't produce desired results, call Delta HQ in Atlanta and ask to speak to Richard Anderson's (CEO) office. That should get your friend connected to a higher level Delta representative.

Call 404-715-2600 for Delta Corporate headquarters.

Hope your friend gets it sorted. It really sounds like Delta dropped the ball somewhere.
On behalf of my friend, I just wanted to say a very big thank you to you for your information in this thread. He called Atlanta and spoke to somebody and now feels (for the first time) that he's actually getting somewhere. So thank you very much, you are a big help!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spd476
I've never had the SSSS so I'm not sure of the procedure other than the extra screening. Is it possible to have a SSSS on a connecting boarding pass? I would think you would only get that on the boarding pass at the first airport since you likely wouldn't go through security at a connecting airport in the US.

I don't travel internationally that often but I would think they would let him get to AMS. If it's not safe to continue on to Birmingham, then the airline wouldn't fly there.
I was flying, on aa, lga-stl-las-dfw-lga (about 4 years ago). NO SSSS on lga-stl (nor on my initial stl-las bp). I was in the aa lounge in stl, waiting for my connecting flight to las; my upgrade to first class had cleared and when my new bp printed it had SSSS on it, the agent was as confused as I was. She was able to print a new bp, which suppressed the SSSS. On the return trip, the las-dfw (but not dfw-lga)had SSSS.

Last edited by nrr; Aug 12, 2011 at 3:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.