Wiki Posts
Search

Bottles of liquor ok in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Bottles of liquor ok in FRA

I'm going to be transiting in FRA and I know that I'll have to clear security when I transit. I would like to bring some wine home with me as a carry on from (not from duty free). Is this ok, or will it be an issue like if I were transiting in the US?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I'm going to be transiting in FRA and I know that I'll have to clear security when I transit. I would like to bring some wine home with me as a carry on from (not from duty free). Is this ok, or will it be an issue like if I were transiting in the US?
It will most definitely be an issue -- those p----- of s---- already have several bottles of mine, and have hassled me for other things. They are the same completely inflexible, rigid, uptight, stick up the a---, rule-bound f------s that they were when they started WWII -- didn't learn a thing from the experience, as I have learned the hard way.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it depends.

You need to find out if you will be screened at the gate before getting on the plane for the US. If it is one of the flights they do the second security screenings at, you will not be allowed to bring it on board. If it's not, it's just like buying a bottle behind security in the US, you can bring it on board.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by cordelli
You need to find out if you will be screened at the gate before getting on the plane for the US. If it is one of the flights they do the second security screenings at, you will not be allowed to bring it on board.
Unless things have changed recently, every US carrier I have departed from FRA had a gate screening far tougher than the main terminal screen downstairs. TSA tight, just with more polite and professional screeners. You will not get it on board.

The other problem is entering the US. Is the OP's destination the landing airport? If so, does it have an exit to the street after customs, or do the pax have to transit the sterile area like ATL? If OP has to go through TSA to get to the street, or if the OP is connecting, the TSA clerkpoint will confiscate for sure.

Bag each bottle in multiple 2 gallon ziplock freezer bags and bubble wrap and place in the middle of your checked bag. 99% chance it will survive unbroken. Theft is another matter.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Germany is in a (very slow) process of moving from prohibition of liquids to scanning liquids in a specialized scanner. Other Schengen countries are more or less dragging their feet on the issue.

AFAIK, at this point liquids (except the little bag of 100ml bottles) are still prohibited at almost any security check point in Germany, except international connections in Germany with bottles in a sealed duty free bag (including those from outside the EU) with a receipt showing when and where you aquired the items and some sort of time limit (24 hours, I believe). So you would not be OK, since your wine is not in such a bag.

Further easement is planned for 2013, IIRC.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Unless things have changed recently, every US carrier I have departed from FRA had a gate screening far tougher than the main terminal screen downstairs. TSA tight, just with more polite and professional screeners. You will not get it on board.
Flaflyer is right about FRA. The alternative is to use a certain other airport in Germany where it is very easy to avoid the secondary screening required for US-bound flights. PM me and I'll tell you which one it is, and how to do it.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:42 pm

I have flown from FRA to the US without any type of additional screening at the gate on LH. However, I think that it may be different if you were flying on a US carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.