Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Max number of liquid items in sealed bag? (Global, not just USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Max number of liquid items in sealed bag? (Global, not just USA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
No. Fill it with water, zip it closed, measure the water in the bag.

For a Glad bag from the quart sized box, it's 44 ounces.

Think of the havoc that would bring if the TSA knew of the risks they face every day by not knowing not all plastic bags are created equal.
Honestly, then, I and many other TSOs allow more than that, then....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk
And is must be one quart, not less. I used a sandwich ziplock bag because I only had three items. I was not this was not allowed and I put them in my wife's one quart bag as she had enough one.
Because you, sir, dealt with an idiot.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
this is not the first time I have heard this

And is must be one quart, not less. I used a sandwich ziplock bag because I only had three items. I was not this was not allowed and I put them in my wife's one quart bag as she had enough one.
this happened to a FT'er a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:25 am

Only quart size bags are made of the special material that renders all liquids harmless. I think it's the same material that the trashcans and trash bags are made from that all of the surrendered liquids are thrown away in next to the checkpoint.

It's interesting that a quart bag holds more than a quart of liquid. Of course you can't just put only liquid in a bag though. The magical 3.4 oz bottles that are required also render liquids harmless. The bottles also confuse terrorists because they don't realize they can combine their liquids after the checkpoint.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I saw a woman get asked to remove all her stuff from her quart sized freezer bag and put it into one of their quart sized bags because the freezer bag was tinted blue. So apparently they must douse the bags with some kind of ray to render the contents harmless, and whatever they use can not get through the blue tinted plastic of the freezer bags.

She was actually pretty funny about it in her use of the word "really" in confirming her stuff would be magically less dangerous in a regular plastic bag instead of the freezer ones.

There are zip close clear (and colorless) plastic bags in sizes from the usual 8 x 8 or whatever size your brand uses to bags for things like posters that can be 2 x 30 (also about a quart). Imagine showing up with all your stuff in a three foot long clear plastic resealable tube.

Most places it probably wouldn't matter, but to just drive that one nutcase crazy.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
YGBFKM!

Originally Posted by cordelli
There are zip close clear (and colorless) plastic bags in sizes from the usual 8 x 8 or whatever size your brand uses to bags for things like posters that can be 2 x 30 (also about a quart). Imagine showing up with all your stuff in a three foot long clear plastic resealable tube.
Oooh, I want to try it. Maybe I can fill my tube-bag with frozen shampoo, so it's not liquid, even if they object to my baggie.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
There are countries that actually do limit the total number of milliliters. I think you can only take 900 ml though HKG.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:43 am

Limit to number of items in liquid bag?

Is there a limit to the number of items that can be included in the carry on liquid bag?

I have a 20cm x 20cm bag containing about 25 items, totalling 700ml. All are less than 100ml. The bag is massively bulging, but the clip at the top stays shut.

Would this be allowed?

(Before anyone asks what I'm carrying, it's sachets of a food item that a friend can't seem to buy outside the UK plus my usual bathroom products. I'm staying within the EU, so no customs issues. I don't have any checked in bags.)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Is there a limit to the number of items that can be included in the carry on liquid bag?

I have a 20cm x 20cm bag containing about 25 items, totalling 700ml. All are less than 100ml. The bag is massively bulging, but the clip at the top stays shut.

Would this be allowed?

(Before anyone asks what I'm carrying, it's sachets of a food item that a friend can't seem to buy outside the UK plus my usual bathroom products. I'm staying within the EU, so no customs issues. I don't have any checked in bags.)
I've merged your question into a thread discussing the same topic. Please review the earlier messages.

I usually travel with a liquids bag that's on the verge of bursting. I have never had an issue taking it through security in the US, Mexico, the EU, the UK or Israel.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If everything's the right size and the bag closes, you're good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.