Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Airport staff are allowed to opt out and receive a standard search (i.e. in place and of the nature used for passengers who trigger a WTMD in a lane with no MMW). (Source: conversation with security manager at EDI, January 2014)

I will let you draw your own conclusions.

As an aside, a scanner has been installed at LHR T5B transit checkpoint.
I take it that the "standard search" is less intrusive than the opt-out search. I just don't understand how a procedure that's so simple in other countries, is such a fuss in the UK! Why do they insist on being slow, and constantly arguing and threatening you? Is there some clause in the DFT policy that says "be as pedantic and vindictive as possible to passengers who exercise their right not to be scanned"?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anwar Dean-Afhim
I take it that the "standard search" is less intrusive than the opt-out search. I just don't understand how a procedure that's so simple in other countries, is such a fuss in the UK! Why do they insist on being slow, and constantly arguing and threatening you? Is there some clause in the DFT policy that says "be as pedantic and vindictive as possible to passengers who exercise their right not to be scanned"?
No it's the same, but done privately

It obviously is to annoy you as much as possible to discourage people from taking the opt outs
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Calchas

It obviously is to annoy you as much as possible to discourage people from taking the opt outs
Their "punishment" search can't annoy me any more then the scanners existing in the first place.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:11 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Himeno
Their "punishment" search can't annoy me any more then the scanners existing in the first place.
Me too.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The present scientific consensus is "definitely not"

Strictly speaking that is founded on a degree of untested assumption regarding the interaction of biological matter and electromagnetic radiation
I don't think it's "definitely" not. No one has yet found any danger in them assuming they are operating at the doses indicated. However, remember that it's not uncommon for drugs to be withdrawn from the market years, or even decades, after they get initial regulatory approval.

Yes, it used to be the same in the US when the scanners were first introduced. However, at this point, the TSA figures they have done what they can to discourage people, and the remaining holdouts probably aren't going to cave, so they just get it done as quickly as possible.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think it's "definitely" not. No one has yet found any danger in them assuming they are operating at the doses indicated. However, remember that it's not uncommon for drugs to be withdrawn from the market years, or even decades, after they get initial regulatory approval.
I agree with you but I think the consensus is pretty firm for now.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: VS Flying Club
If people are refusing both MMW and a pat-down then that's one thing but the airport staff need to understand that it is everyone's legal right to opt-out of MMW and receive a pat-down if they want to.

Giving innocent passengers a ton of attitude and inconvenience doesn't help anybody and is likely only going to make people more determined to exercise their legal rights in future. They should just do what the TSA do. Accept the request for a patdown, briefly explain the process, do the frisk search and then send people on their way.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by cbn42
Yes, it used to be the same in the US when the scanners were first introduced. However, at this point, the TSA figures they have done what they can to discourage people, and the remaining holdouts probably aren't going to cave, so they just get it done as quickly as possible.
The TSA's approach of de facto exempting frequent travellers through the pre-check system has very cleverly quietened down the noisiest folks.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:10 am

The TSA's approach of de facto exempting frequent travellers through the pre-check system has very cleverly quietened down the noisiest folks.
It's sad that although the U.S. has become internationally known as a small hell on Earth for air passengers (in terms of both security and immigration checks), the TSA seem to be alarmingly more forward thinking than their British counterparts.

From my experience over the last several years, Britain is the single worst country to travel through by air these days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BloodRose
From my experience over the last several years, Britain is the single worst country to travel through by air these days.
Totally agree! Thank god we still have Eurostar (for those living on the continent). But even by train travelling to/from the UK is more complicated and stressful than it should be (read: "compared to other high-speed train trips"), thanks to the security checks, the 30 minutes check-in time etc.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
Totally agree! Thank god we still have Eurostar (for those living on the continent). But even by train travelling to/from the UK is more complicated and stressful than it should be (read: "compared to other high-speed train trips"), thanks to the security checks, the 30 minutes check-in time etc.
Definitely and that is completely and utterly pointless. Anybody determined to cause havoc on a train in either France or Britain would only need to buy a Tube or Paris Metro ticket. I'm not sure why they would want to go to the hassle and risk of crossing an international border. I honestly believe that security checks have been put in place on the Eurostar only because they can be.

Unfortunately the Eurostar is usually a viable option for UK residents if you live in the South East though. Even with its basic security hurdles and irritatingly arrogant French security agents though, I would opt for it over flying on any day of the week.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just went through security at T5 and here's my update:

The North checkpoint has one NoS in the fourth from the left lane. The rest of the checkpoint, including FastTrack, is WTMD only.

The South checkpoint has one NoS in the fifth from the right lane. The rest of the checkpoint is WTMD only.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just went through security at T5 and here's my update:

The North checkpoint has one NoS in the fourth from the left lane. The rest of the checkpoint, including FastTrack, is WTMD only.

The South checkpoint has one NoS in the fifth from the right lane. The rest of the checkpoint is WTMD only.
This isn't correct. For one thing, South fast track has an NOS.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This isn't correct. For one thing, South fast track has an NOS.
Don't know what to tell you... Walked past both checkpoints and that is what I observed... When I get a chance, I'll upload the pics I took.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:15 am

Quick Update

LGW north no longer has the two scanners at the side. The current checkpoint is scanner-free. ^ Just one heads-up, though: a new checkpoint is under construction, which will probably be like the one in the south: MMW madness! Something tells me that by 2017 every UK air passenger will face a scanner.

Anyway, this should probably be in the international thread, but MUC now has MMW scanners at certain gates. Not sure of the selection criteria, but if anyone can edit the wikipost on the international thread (titled "Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanner"), that would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.