Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

POST HERE: Links to articles about WBI/groping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:56 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)

Here's something we can all do at home without protesting at an airport: influence public opinion by commenting on articles about these important issues.

Please post articles from newspapers and blogs here about the WBI and groping. Let's hit them hard and often.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:41 am

Here's an article that is in desperate need of comments. I've already made my contribution.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com//2010/..._n_774695.html
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: OnePass
NoS at EWR starting today:

Body scanning machines debut at Newark Airport today.

No comments, needs them. You'll have to sign up for an account tho (its free)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Buffalo/Niagara

Four backscatter machines installed.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikemey
NoS at EWR starting today:

Body scanning machines debut at Newark Airport today.

No comments, needs them. You'll have to sign up for an account tho (its free)
Tried to register and all I got was a message that the forum doesn't allow spammers!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by doober
Tried to register and all I got was a message that the forum doesn't allow spammers!
Here's another article on the Newark scanner: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...dy_scanne.html

So far, almost all NJ.com commenters on this story are opposed to the new machines.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ellie M
Here's another article on the Newark scanner: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...dy_scanne.html
nj.com apparently would not accept my comments.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed...foreplay-like/
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
From two other threads:

A CNN Poll asking about full-body scanning. (On the front Travel page—volatile—vote soon!)

MSNBC article about pat-downs, also with a poll. (No good multiple-choice options. "I won't fly," with a comment, is as good as you'll get.)

Regarding polls, remember that your web-enabled phone can vote too!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
CNN article on the "enhanced patdowns" this morning. Appeared in a segment at 6:30 EDT this morning, so hopefully lots of people were watching.

Also online: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/28...rity.pat.down/

Best of all (for us, not her), CNN employee and frequent traveler Rosemary Fitzpatrick was featured. Her bra alarmed the WTMD at MCO, and she was very disturbed by the enhanced patdown. She said she was in tears during the process, and she said the screener touched her crotch.

There was not a single pro-TSA quote in the TV segment. No "anything for security" kettles were quoted. And CNN sort of chided TSA for sending an automated reply and no actual response to Fitzpatrick's complaint.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:34 am

nj.com apparently would not accept my comments.
What did you say? They usually post everything.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikemey
What did you say? They usually post everything.
Suggested filing sexual assault charges if you get felt up at the airport, listed all of our websites, encouraged people to print and distribute the flyers.

Perhaps it was too many links as I see another one of us was published and that post included a link to dontscan.us.

Originally Posted by studentff
CNN article on the "enhanced patdowns" this morning. Appeared in a segment at 6:30 EDT this morning, so hopefully lots of people were watching.

Best of all (for us, not her), CNN employee and frequent traveler Rosemary Fitzpatrick was featured. Her bra alarmed the WTMD at MCO, and she was very disturbed by the enhanced patdown. She said she was in tears during the process, and she said the screener touched her crotch.

There was not a single pro-TSA quote in the TV segment. No "anything for security" kettles were quoted. And CNN sort of chided TSA for sending an automated reply and no actual response to Fitzpatrick's complaint.
Comments on the article seem to be running against the TSA also.

I found it interesting that Ms. Fitzpatrick was taken into a private room because her underwire bra alarmed. If that is accurate, then many, many women are going to be hauled off for a private inspection. SATTSO told us that this type of search is going to be very rare. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:29 am

Suggested filing sexual assault charges if you get felt up at the airport, listed all of our websites, encouraged people to print and distribute the flyers.

Perhaps it was too many links as I see another one of us was published and that post included a link to dontscan.us.
Yeah, that was me.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comments on the article seem to be running against the TSA also.

I found it interesting that Ms. Fitzpatrick was taken into a private room because her underwire bra alarmed. If that is accurate, then many, many women are going to be hauled off for a private inspection. SATTSO told us that this type of search is going to be very rare. Hmmmmmm.
He also said that there is no such thing as an "Enhanced Pat Down".
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by studentff

Comments on this article are SIZZLING now ... very polarized between the enlightened and the sheep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.