Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying domestically with felony warrant??

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by skchin
You don't need a photo id to fly. TSA will run a secondary check on you to see if you are carrying illegal items. That's how people fly when they loose their wallet for example.
Always a good idea to keep a tight grip on your wallet.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Get the warrant taken care of. You will be ok to fly though.
Old May 2, 2013, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by LaurenMercedes
I never had a criminal record until a boyfriend of mine got into some trouble and I lied to a grand jury about his whereabouts. Because we were from out of state, the DA wanted to teach me a lesson.
Actually pretty sure the DA acted because you lied to the Grand Jury, not because you were from out of state.

If your username is your real name, I would probably change it and anything else that can tie anything you have posted back to your real name.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:03 am

He ran my real name, then came back and told me that they didn't want to extradite me, so he let me go.
One thing that stood out to me in the original post was this line. If they didn't think it was worth the effort of extraditing you then, then I'd guess it's not likely they'd be all that interested in paying to extradite you now. Of course, you never know about that, and of course, just because they choose not to extradite you doesn't mean you can't get flagged and the additional delay of waiting for them to contact the other jurisdiction to get a decision on that which would ultimately cause you to miss a flight. (And I'm guessing the airline isn't going to be real sympathetic when your reason for missing the flight was "sorry, got held up waiting to hear if I was going to be extradited for a felony").

Obviously, as others have mentioned, it's far better to clear this up as soon as possible than keep it hanging over your head.

Side note: I'll listen to the police scanner from time to time at home, and it absolutely astounds me how many people get pulled over that have warrants out for them. Most of them are pretty minor things, but I'm shocked that people that have warrants out for them still drive in a manner that makes them likely to get pulled over. Most of these are pretty small and for other local jurisdictions, but for those, I'd say about 4 in 5 they end up arranging a meet to turn the person over. Longer distance ones definitely have a lower percentage, but I've heard a few from out of state where they were asked to hold the person because the other jurisdiction definitely wanted them.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:38 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Thanks for the info. Yes, I do need to deal with it and get a lawyer. I never had a criminal record until a boyfriend of mine got into some trouble and I lied to a grand jury about his whereabouts. Because we were from out of state, the DA wanted to teach me a lesson. Now, just because I had never been in trouble with the law before doesn't mean that I wasn't screwing up. At the time I skipped out on my probation I was on methadone for a heroin addiction. In Oregon it's up to your probation officer whether or not you can be on methadone. My PO said no, so I left. During these past 5 years I've been able to get my life on track. I'm almost finished with college, I own my own home and car now. I'm just terrified that when I go back I could be looking at 3 years in prison (the time left on my probation); everything I've worked so hard for will be gone. So yes, one of these days.
No, you got into trouble because you lied to a grand jury. If you accept responsibility for that, get a lawyer and get this dealt with properly, I think you'll likely be fine. The fact that you've been responsible since then and gotten your life back on track is a huge point in your favor. Good luck.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I second the idea that you get this handled so you can move on with your life... with no fear.

Are you posting your real name, your drug history and the fact that you have a warrant?

I hope for your sake that you use caution on the internet. This is a scary world.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by piper28

Side note: I'll listen to the police scanner from time to time at home, and it absolutely astounds me how many people get pulled over that have warrants out for them. Most of them are pretty minor things, but I'm shocked that people that have warrants out for them still drive in a manner that makes them likely to get pulled over. Most of these are pretty small and for other local jurisdictions, but for those, I'd say about 4 in 5 they end up arranging a meet to turn the person over.
Which is why so many cops assume that everyone they encounter is a criminal--so many are! I've tried telling my cop buddies about sample selection bias but they're having none of that.

To the OP: Why not take the train or a bus? Flying seems to be a gamble.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by China Clipper
To the OP: Why not take the train or a bus? Flying seems to be a gamble.
That's an 1800 mile drive from Chicago to Vegas. Unless the OP loves long-distance driving and has an extra 5 days to kill (2-3 days each way), driving doesn't seem like a viable option.

Also, no Amtrak into Vegas, only Greyhound, so OP would have to take the train somewhere and transfer to a bus in what is probably a 36-40 hour trip. Not my idea of a good time. And not any cheaper than flying, at $400-500 round trip.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying seems to be a gamble.
What are you basing that on? Speculation, I imagine.

Since the inception of SecureFlight, we have not seen one news story indicating that TSA scans for ordinary criminal warrants or, if they do, that they pass that information on to local LE resulting in arrests. Given that TSA brags about any case in which they are involved in the aprehension of a criminal-- even if their officers were just standing there-- the absence of a news story is a strong indication that the OP will be okay. Not 100%, but far from "a gamble".

Last edited by Ari; May 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Ari
Since the inception of SecureFlight, we have not seen one news story indicating that TSA scans for ordinary criminal warrants or, if they do, that they pass that information on to local LE resulting in arrests. ...
the absence of a news story is a strong indication that the OP will be okay. Not 100%, but far from "a gamble".
Agreed. Even if only a miniscule fraction of air travelers had outstanding warrants, there would have been many thousands of arrests at least some of which should have been either observed by "us" (FTers) or reported in the news.

Now what does seem to happen is if TSA or the passenger calls over a LEO as part of an incident at the checkpoint, the LEO seems to reflexively take the passenger's ID and do a warrant check even though there is usually no justification for doing so. So my advice to the OP, other than getting the warrant handled, would be to minimize interaction and conflict with TSA to avoid potential interaction with the police.

Which is why so many cops assume that everyone they encounter is a criminal--so many are! I've tried telling my cop buddies about sample selection bias but they're having none of that.
There seems to be a pattern of police departments intentionally screening out candidates that are too intelligent.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/ny...iq-scores.html

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2012/01/0...t-to-be-a-cop/

It seems management doesn't want their officers understanding complex subjects like selection bias.

IMO the root cause of so many negative police encounters with truly innocent citizens (photographers, bicyclists, Harvard Professor Henry Gates, whatever) is the police assuming everyone they encounter is a hardened criminal and needlessly escalating the situation to assert dominance/control. Making it worse is that the average law-abiding educated citizen likely has no real experience dealing with the police by virtue of being law abiding. Such citizens also are probably unaware of unintentional triggers that can cause the LEO to instinctively and rapidly escalate a situation out of self-preservation--e.g., hands not in sight or reaching for a cell phone, or, in way too many cases, use of a camera.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
What are you basing that on? Speculation, I imagine.

Since the inception of SecureFlight, we have not seen one news story indicating that TSA scans for ordinary criminal warrants or, if they do, that they pass that information on to local LE resulting in arrests. Given that TSA brags about any case in which they are involved in the aprehension of a criminal-- even if their officers were just standing there-- the absence of a news story is a strong indication that the OP will be okay. Not 100%, but far from "a gamble".
The OP does(or did) want to travel to Las Vegas.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:21 am

I wonder how many people with outstanding arrest warrants fly each year - it certainly would make it safer for the general public if the TSA (or rather a computer checking passenger lists) was detecting them rather than some non-existent terrorist.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Pleae keep remarks to PRACTICAL issues

thanks

squeakr

co MOD TS/S
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by alanR
I wonder how many people with outstanding arrest warrants fly each year - it certainly would make it safer for the general public if the TSA (or rather a computer checking passenger lists) was detecting them rather than some non-existent terrorist.
At Sky Harbor, there are always a few people that end their Mexico holiday in jail, because of warrants.

For the O/P information, Oregon only will extradite in the Northwest. Shoot, in my other life as a highway patrolman, we stopped a guy wanted for a serious sex charge and Oregon wouldn't come twenty miles south of the border to pick him up.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
At Sky Harbor, there are always a few people that end their Mexico holiday in jail, because of warrants.
That would mean they aren't traveling within the US-- they would be an international arrival and going through CBP, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.