Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of food can you bring into the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:06 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wilp888
I'm not a Nexus member but the Global Entry kiosk have now been amended and no longer ask a general question about "food". Instead, the new question is: Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?”
I did not notice this on my last use of the Global Entry kiosk, I will certainly look next time, as I did not bring anything back with me, only because I wanted to speed up my departure from Customs and Immigration. I usually bring back cookies or candy etc but since using GE I am bringing back any food items. However, one must fill out the blue immigration form as well as a back up and on that it still has the word food, so one would have to mark yes on that form regardless of what one is bringing back.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sfo
I did not notice this on my last use of the Global Entry kiosk, I will certainly look next time, as I did not bring anything back with me, only because I wanted to speed up my departure from Customs and Immigration. I usually bring back cookies or candy etc but since using GE I am bringing back any food items. However, one must fill out the blue immigration form as well as a back up and on that it still has the word food, so one would have to mark yes on that form regardless of what one is bringing back.
When the GE program first started, most members also fill out the Custom Declaration form as a backup in case the kiosk wasn't working. However, there is no requirement to fill out the Custom form. In fact, one of the benefits of the GE program, on the CBP website, expressly stated: "No more filling out a paper customs declaration form".
Old May 3, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Food Allowed to be brought in the US?

I'll be flying to JFK this summer then maybe go to Canada a week after, i was planning to bring some european delicacies to the US. I would like to bring italian cheese(mozzarella,parmisan), prosciuto and salami. Or even canned goods. There's a really good canned tuna dipped in olive oil in Italy. Also some turkish food maybe, just love the baklavas. Oh i almost forgot the italian coffee.
The big problem is if i can bring all of these stuff in the us and canada?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
US:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82
Old May 4, 2010, 2:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this is really a Customs question rather than a NYC question, please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety & Security Forum.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator
Old May 4, 2010, 2:43 pm

As for Canada, the meats are prohibited; the rest sounds all right (and tasty).

The other thing is there is a limit of 20 kg per person to a maximum of $20 of cheese. Anything above that is supposed to be imported commercially. Dairy industry protectionism, I assume.

This link can be used to determine what is allowed into Canada. Always choose "Travellers & Personal use and not for resale or distribution" when selecting the end use of the product.

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; May 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm Reason: Additional information
Old May 4, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Into the U.S.: prosciutto and salami, no. Mozzarella, probably not, Parmesan should be no problem. Canned tuna, coffee should be ok. U.S. agriculture department has strict and detailed guidelines that you'd best study before loading your suitcase with food that could be confiscated and land you a big fine.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Into the U.S.: prosciutto and salami, no. Mozzarella, probably not, Parmesan should be no problem. Canned tuna, coffee should be ok. U.S. agriculture department has strict and detailed guidelines that you'd best study before loading your suitcase with food that could be confiscated and land you a big fine.
So long as you declare that you have food the worst that happens is they take it.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
The stupid dog that works for CBP is able to sniff out food unless you follow this procedure:

Place food inside cellophane. Place package on clean counter.
Wash hands thoroughly, using soap and warm water.
Place package inside ziplock bag. Place package on clean counter.
Place ziplocked package inside hermetite/sealed food container. Place ziplocked package on clean counter.
Place ziplocked food container inside paper bag that has previously held clothes and mothballs.
Pack inside a Rollaboard bag that does not contain any other foodstuff.
Bob is your Father's Brother.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
The stupid dog that works for CBP is able to sniff out food unless you follow this procedure...
Is there any law that you respect?
Old May 4, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by blumage
I'll be flying to JFK this summer then maybe go to Canada a week after, i was planning to bring some european delicacies to the US. I would like to bring italian cheese(mozzarella,parmisan), prosciuto and salami. Or even canned goods. There's a really good canned tuna dipped in olive oil in Italy. Also some turkish food maybe, just love the baklavas. Oh i almost forgot the italian coffee.
The big problem is if i can bring all of these stuff in the us and canada?
Restrictions on importation of fresh food into the USA are in place for good reasons, please don't try to circumvent the rules, and please don't listen to those who advocate doing so.

More interesting to me is WHY you think you need to bring all these "delicacies" with you from Europe. Has it not occurred to you that people in the US (especially the NY area ) already have access to all the same stuff?
Old May 5, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by jiejie
More interesting to me is WHY you think you need to bring all these "delicacies" with you from Europe. Has it not occurred to you that people in the US (especially the NY area ) already have access to all the same stuff?
Well since i'm already in Italy i have instant access to original and probably cheaper products. I'm also going to meet some friends in the Canada and was trying to think about some gifts, and it came to my mind what's better than a yummy parma smoked ham?
Plus haven't you ever been to a place and liked the local food so much that you decided to bring some home? It always happen to me when i go in Asia.
It's sad that i can't bring any food in. Although US border is less strict than the Australian authorities, a lot of items are still prohibited.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:52 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
You may be able to bring some of the cheeses, prosciutto, and salami into the US if you buy them in the airport and they are designated as being allowed to be taken into the US. When I was in Madrid, the airport had some of the wonder Spanish ham available for purchase that could be brought into the US.

I've brought polvorones from Spain and cannolis from Italy into the US (pastry). I did declare them and there was no problem. The most difficult problem was refraining from eating them on my trip home.

As others have said, canned goods are no problem.

Don't forget some Italian wine or Lemoncello!
Old May 5, 2010, 1:14 pm
B1

It is important to answer the questions carefully on the declaration card. Read every category as there are multiple items. The US card has "food" as an item between much less general items. The US officer noted that a few crackers in the pocket of a coat having checked "no" on the line with "food" is an offense.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The CBP usually doesn't care about cookies and crackers and packaged breakfast cereals, but it is food to be declared. More often than not, the agents won't care to send such persons to ag inspection after the passenger answers the question about what kind of food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.