Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Agents seize travel bloggers computer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
We got "change" all right: thuggery against journalists.
From a pseudo fly on the wall at DHS HQ:

'We need some good press, like a high profile tewwowist related arrest. How about that Bin Laden guy?"

"Been looking for 8 years, can't find his cave in Hideoutistan."

"Who can we get?"

"How about some American Bloggers? We know where they live, he!! they're in the phone book. We can send agents there during daylight hours with no travel or perdiem expenses."

"Book 'em Danno!"
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by DIFIN
they threaten you with massive removal of all electronics in the hope you give them your PC.

TELL ME WE DON'T LIVE IN A POLICE STATE
Let the b***ards have them. And then go out and get new stuff (phones, etc.)....a prudent person would have backed up their data so they could keep right on truckin."

I would also highly suggest calling the police on the TSA agents.... a subpoena is not a warrant and they would not be legally able to use force to collect on a subpoena. The regular police can be the best friend you ever had when dealing with bureaucrats gone mad.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Doesn't the government have something better to do with its time? Like actually checking out those names on the watch list? Or at least making sure that those on the list get flagged for secondary screening?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Go ahead. Make my day.

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Simple answer here is tell the agents to get a warrant and show them out. If they refuse to leave call the cops. In fact call the cops anyhow as you can not be sure the "agents" are law enforcement officers.
The Second Amendment offers a better solution than calling the cops if they refuse to leave. @:-)

No warrant? No probable cause? You better get off my property now or I will deem you a threat to my health.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:24 pm

If they want to seize my computers, it won't do them much good, unless they can figure out where my data is stored.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Associated Press story is making national headlines.

Funny, TSA doesn't want to comment.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I skimmed the thread but I might have missed it. Steven Frischling is a member here on FT. Sorry if it's already been mentioned.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:53 pm

"It was 'give it to us voluntarily or we will take every computer, blackberry and iPhone out of your house',"

----

NEVER hand anything over voluntarily. If they have to ask for your permission then they have no authority to take it.

Last edited by oldjonesy; Dec 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by oldjonesy
"It was 'give it to us voluntarily or we will take every computer, blackberry and iPhone out of your house',"

----

NEVER had anything over voluntarily. If they have to ask for your permission then they have no authority to take it.
I looked at the subpoena and have a couple questions for those with legal expertise. Aren't subpoenas supposed to have somewhere on them the court that wants compliance information? The one I saw had no such information on it. Doesn't that invalidate the subpoena?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
TSA can't find their butts with both hands behind them, but...

they persecute bloggers who post about non-classified regulations. In the meantime, they forget they allowed Abdulmurtallab to board a US-bound flight in spite of the fact 1) he was banned from flying to the UK; 2) his father turned him in to the US Embassy, 3) he arrived from Yemen in Lagos, and purchased a one-way ticket to DTW with cash, 4) he had been going to Yemen to terr school. A number of failures, and TSA was involved with some of it - UK MI-x was responsible for some of it, USDoS for some more, Lagos and Amsterdam security for some more, but hey, let's go after the bloggers and see who leaked the actual content of SD 1544-09-06.

Those bodies (I dunno about brains) could have been better utilized for thinking how they can actually respond to the threat and catch terrs - more a la Ben Gurion Airport or El Al, but no, let's go after some 'goats, they spend valuable (?) resources on going after American citizen bloggers with very known histories and zip chances of trying to bring down a plane. Give me a break!

These people are ore like the Queen of Hearts, who had to say "Off with their heads!" at every person they came across, than members of a so-called "intelligence" community. As a taxpayer, I want my money back; I'll take my chances on my own.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 2009 at 7:39 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JDiver
they persecute bloggers who post about non-classified regulations. In the meantime, they forget they allowed Abdulmurtallab to board a US-bound flight in spite of the fact 1) he was banned from flying to the UK; 2) his father turned him in to the US Embassy, 3) he arrived from Yemen in Lagos, and purchased a one-way ticket to DTW with cash, 4) he had been going to Yemen to terr school. A number of failures, and TSA was involved with some of it - UK MI-x was responsible for some of it, USDoS for some more, Lagos and Amsterdam security for some more, but hey, let's go after the bloggers and see who leaked the actual content of SD 1544-09-06.
Oldest diversion in the book. "Look! Over there! (Not over here.)"

Disgusting.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
This is downright scary. Here's a story about Fish from Wired:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...eatens-blogger
I love how he is looking at the TSA guy like he is a total idiot!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/th...sa_blogger.jpg
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Aren't subpoenas supposed to have somewhere on them the court that wants compliance information? The one I saw had no such information on it. Doesn't that invalidate the subpoena?
Nah, it's an administrative subpoena. No court required. Although, as mentioned previously, no real teeth behind it either.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Deeg
Nah, it's an administrative subpoena. No court required. Although, as mentioned previously, no real teeth behind it either.
Ah, got it - government toilet paper.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Ah, got it - government toilet paper.
In some ways, yes. In others, it's a very useful tool. For example, cell phone companies and Internet Service Providers are required by law (18 USC 2703) to turn over records when presented with an administrative subpoena. And many other service-type businesses (i.e. utility companies) generally will comply with them as well. As for using them to obtain records/information from a target of the investigation...well, obviously sometimes it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.