Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Agents seize travel bloggers computer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sefrischling
My computer was removed by TSA and handled by a computer forensics person from the Secret Service, out of Boston, according to the TSA
So who do you think damaged your computer, TSA or their expert?

I would accept the offer of a new laptop getting at least if not better than what you had. See how they respond to padding the nest. If they say nothing I think they want you to just fade into the background.

Don't think I would price shop either.

If this agent threatened you in any way do you intend to pursue or at least investigate taking action of any kind?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
My computer was removed by TSA and handled by a computer forensics person from the Secret Service, out of Boston, according to the TSA
It sounds the the TSA SA called in some favors from his former employer to do the work. I would have thought he'd need to turn it over to a TSA forensic personnel. Then again I don't know what kind of agreements the individual agencies of DHS have with each other on matters like this.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
It sounds the the TSA SA called in some favors from his former employer to do the work. I would have thought he'd need to turn it over to a TSA forensic personnel. Then again I don't know what kind of agreements the individual agencies of DHS have with each other on matters like this.
The US Secret Service is part of DHS now. The USSS was pulled from Treasury and shoved into DHS some years back and since then the pull on assets has become a bigger mess. DHS doesn't have the Midas touch.

DHS routinely uses the USSS for these kinds of things.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I would have thought he'd need to turn it over to a TSA forensic personnel.
You probably never would have seen the computer again
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...enas_to_travel

The Economist has it on their site too.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by AArlington
Talk to an attorney about doing a FOIA or other request to find out the disposition of any images/electronic copies they made of your HD while in their posession. Since the case is closed on their end, I'd demand their certification that any and all copies have been destroyed prior to any settlement on your end.
This is an excellent idea.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
This is an excellent idea.
LOL, do you really think a "verification" is believable?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Then it's possible whoever worked on your machine knew what s/he was doing. But they'd have to drive it from your hose to the Boston location, take it apart, do their forensic image, THEN place some spyware on it (that your anti-virus/other systems would not detect) then get it back to you. I don't know the timeline, so hard to tell if they had time to do this. If they were THAT good, they'd also have returned your machine in working condition.

But then again, if they really wanted to bug your PC, they'd do it in such a way that you'd never know, and not be completely suspicious of them. So I doubt they bugged it. I just can't give them credit for being that good.
They'd not be putting and spyware or virus on a system, that is just stupid.

If the other topic is the case, they will attempt to get the email headers from the email host(bluehost it looks to be)

What they do exactly is, take the drive out and make a clone of it to analyze it later, that is it, and all they'd do in that amount of time, nothing more. And it sounds like whomever did it, did not know how to properly remove it from the laptop casing itself, and did a bit for bit clone with a tool that may have indeed corrupted the original which would also invalidate the 'authenticity' of the clone in case of being brought for evidence. Of course they aren't looking for evidence, just a vendetta against the sender.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rico567
If it's me, don't even bother to ask to search unless in possession of a valid warrant....house, car, person, whatever.

I don't claim to have learned everything in this life, but a few I have:

1. Never eat at a restaurant named "Mom's."

2. Never play cards with a man named Doc.

3. A Smith & Wesson always beats four aces.

4. Never cosign on a note with anyone you don't sleep with.

5. Never, ever voluntarily surrender your constitutional rights.
Four of these rules are good ones, but I have to challenge #4 (unless you want me to start sleeping with my children!).

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
LOL, do you really think a "verification" is believable?
Probably not, but get someone on record so you can harvest his testicles later when it is discovered that he "misrepresented the facts".
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Potentially. But highly doubtful. These thugs ("special agents") are apparently retired Secret Service, drawing their full retirement from the USSS, and are double dipping as TSA inspectors making a good pay. Jerks? Probably. Stupid enough to sacrifice their pensions on a patehtetic CYA witch hunt they were ordered on by some immature mope at headquarters? Doubtful.
Someone else could have bugged it.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then it makes no sense they damaged it unless it's simple mechanical damage--dropped or the like. Maybe they put it on a car seat and made a hard stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.