Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Any recents changes to TSA liquids policy re: contact lens solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold

Have there been any recent changes to the Theatrical Security Agency's liquids policy for medications?

For at least a couple of years now, I've been flying with the big (16oz) bottles of contact lens solution. They've fallen under an exception for medications. About 1/2 the time they'd trigger a secondary screening where they'd hold some test strip over the tip to test for explosives.

It hasn't been an issue, even when traveling through foreign airports such as FRA, MUC and TXL.

On Wednesday I was stopped at SFO/Intl Terminal A. The agent there said that there was a change to policy and it was no longer allowed. I asked for a supervisor who repeated the same. When I asked for documentation, such as a memo, he couldn't provide any. He just said in typical power trip fashion "don't waste your time arguing with me." (SFO has outsourced private security instead of TSA, not that that makes a huge difference.)

I can't find any notice of this change on the TSA Web site. The only thing I see that's related says specifically that the exception for contact lens solution exists.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have never had a problem @ SFO. I get grief at LAX (the last time, she wanted to me open the entire lid - and I tried to explain that it wouldn't close again (not to mention that the sterility would be gone)), but they let me through. It always seems to be a problem at foreign airports for flights to the US.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by rocky
Have there been any recent changes to the Theatrical Security Agency's liquids policy for medications?

For at least a couple of years now, I've been flying with the big (16oz) bottles of contact lens solution. They've fallen under an exception for medications. About 1/2 the time they'd trigger a secondary screening where they'd hold some test strip over the tip to test for explosives.

It hasn't been an issue, even when traveling through foreign airports such as FRA, MUC and TXL.

On Wednesday I was stopped at SFO/Intl Terminal A. The agent there said that there was a change to policy and it was no longer allowed. I asked for a supervisor who repeated the same. When I asked for documentation, such as a memo, he couldn't provide any. He just said in typical power trip fashion "don't waste your time arguing with me." (SFO has outsourced private security instead of TSA, not that that makes a huge difference.)

I can't find any notice of this change on the TSA Web site. The only thing I see that's related says specifically that the exception for contact lens solution exists.
You've been lied to.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:10 pm

Contact lens solution is an exempt liquid. IF the container is more than 3.4 ounces in size then it must be tested. Usually that means you open the top and the TSO waves a test strip over the opening. There is some newer technology coming that will eventually replace the test strips, but I couldn't tell you when.

Sterility of your solution is given up the moment you open the bottle for any reason, and you can’t use all 16 ounces in a single use (at least I never have). So being concerned about sterility is useless, it becomes un-sterile the first time you use it anyway.

Not all lens solutions are going to pass the test by the way. I have had one bottle in my entire time on the checkpoint fail the test. One. Don’t know what was in it, but it was not allowed through the checkpoint.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:12 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
I've been asked to open up the entire top (instead of just the cap that covers the tip) at various airports. On the brand that I use the full top doesn't actually come off and when I explain this, it's not a problem.

This guy was just on a power trip. It was really annoying b/c I had to go rent a car just to buy contact lens solution when I arrived.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I learned something new!

I had no idea that contact lens solutions fell under the exemption. I have wasted so much money on travel size bottles that get opened and then tossed when they expire. Thanks!!!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gov't, Choice Gold
Also check w/your eye doctor when you go in - sometimes you can get the sample sizes (not the travel size, but not the regular size). I use ClearCare and I can the sample packs that are 4oz sizes. So if I'm going somewhere short enough I don't need the big 12oz bottle or long enough the 2oz won't cut it, I have an option. Plus I discovered the you can pull the top out, so I just refill it.

Plus unless they look closely, the 4oz bottle looks small enough that it doesn't get a 2nd glance in my freedom baggie.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My contact lens solution tested positive for explosives!

I travel with a regular 12 oz. size multi-purpose solution (usually Target, but I'm not brand loyal). Nobody usually bothers me, but a couple of months ago a TSA agent made me open it and waived a "test strip" over it. I've travelled incident-free since then.

Until this weekend. At MCO early Saturday morning, an agent did the test strip thing. This time it tested positive! This got me a visit from the TSA bomb detection agent, and the complete examination of my suitcase. He took every item out of it and used lots more test strips. It took about 50 minutes. I would have missed my flight, except for a very lucky break -- boarding was delayed by a half-hour due to thunderstorms at my arrival city.

The bomb agent said little to me, but the agent who initially "flagged" me said they get a fair number of "false positives" from contact lens solutions.

This experience will probably make me switch back to the "travel size" versions that I can fit in the plastic baggie. I assume nobody will want to test those? If I need to, I guess I can pack two small bottles of solution.

It's obviously much more economical (and convenient) not to have to buy the small travel sizes, but I guess there's nothing wrong with refilling the little bottles with a bigger bottle a couple of times. If I'm reasonably careful, I assume the contamination risk is low (just popping off the cap on the small bottle and squirting in more from the larger bottles). If there are any opthamologists out there, is it OK to rinse out the smaller bottles and just re-fill them? Or do I now need to stock up on the little contact solution bottles at Target?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:07 pm

I love my extended wear contacts. Changing them once a month makes travel much easier (the backup/extra pair take up very little baggie-space). I can also see perfectly clearly as soon as I wake up
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I love my extended wear contacts. Changing them once a month makes travel much easier (the backup/extra pair take up very little baggie-space). I can also see perfectly clearly as soon as I wake up
This has been my solution as well.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have never had a problem @ SFO. I get grief at LAX (the last time, she wanted to me open the entire lid - and I tried to explain that it wouldn't close again (not to mention that the sterility would be gone)), but they let me through. It always seems to be a problem at foreign airports for flights to the US.
+1 and be forewarned - the Mexican TSA confiscated my 4oz bottle.

Originally Posted by TSORon
Contact lens solution is an exempt liquid.
Can you provide a link to a public source which specifically addresses this item? I think it would be helpful as it appears some of your colleagues need additional training.

Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
I had no idea that contact lens solutions fell under the exemption. I have wasted so much money on travel size bottles that get opened and then tossed when they expire. Thanks!!!
+1 - it's very frustrating.

Of course, for longer family trips, I simply pack the bottle in a ziplock bag in my checked luggage and cross my fingers that it does not explode in flight due to pressurization.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I carried my wife's 16 oz lens solution through DEN and YYC two weeks ago. Was tested in DEN, ignored in YYC. When a TSO tries to prevent you from taking anything, you claim medical necessity.
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/labels/policy.html

If you’re flying after November 20th and carrying medically necessary liquids in containers larger than 3 ounces, you should use the Family Lane. Medically necessary liquids include: baby formula, breast milk, insulin, cough syrup, contact lens solution, and prescription medications. These liquids must be presented to a TSA Officer for additional screening, which should usually take less than 2 minutes.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
Lovely, but that is NOT an option for all of us who wear contacts.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Same stupidity, different day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.