Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are the Amish eligible to apply for US passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are the Amish eligible to apply for US passports?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:14 pm

you can always get a some travel document to return at the us consulate in the country where you are.

do the us consulates actually issue anything but passports and limited passports or can they also issue some kind of transportation letters for their citizens in case of emergency?

al

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Indeed. And that amounts to a de facto prohibition of exit without a passport.

Last edited by crescatfloreat; Mar 28, 2021 at 9:38 pm
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:04 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I'm not sure how it is at the ports, but airlines check your passports before leaving the US now.
Is that really a US requirement? It is a US requirement that they check for passports for pax on incoming flights.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I'm not sure how it is at the ports, but airlines check your passports before leaving the US now.
While this might affect other travelers with religious convictions aginst being photographed, it is unlikely to affect the Amish. While they will travel in cars, trains, and buses, they generally don't fly.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:42 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ralfp
Is that really a US requirement? It is a US requirement that they check for passports for pax on incoming flights.
They want to make sure you will make it into the country you are travelling to so they don't get fined and pay to transport you home.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.