Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those Were The Days My Friend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Those Were The Days My Friend

I was reading an article on professional ways to avoid jet lag. I would take a few bottles of spring water on board. Instead of depending on flight attendants I had my own comfort to help keep me hydrated. An excerpt from the article: "The air within an airplane is often drier than in the desert! While the air humidity of the Sahara amounts to about 20 per cent, it occurs at long distance flights that it falls below the ten-per cent border. Therefore you should drink much water during, before and after the flight.

Professionals take beverages themselves

In many cases the water on board isn’t particularly good-tasting and is served in containers by the size of an egg cup. You won’t to constantly trouble a flight attendant with your desires. Therefore take yourself also a large bottle of your preferential mineral water on board."

Reading that I had to sing the lyrics:

"Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days"
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Truly sad indeed. Especially when people believe that water can bring down a plane. /sigh
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Granted, there was a brief, unfortunate period of time where you couldn't bring liquids on board. But to be honest, you can bring as much water as you want on board an aircraft nowadays. You just can't carry it through security.

But if you're willing to pay the usurious prices for water at the gateside concessions or to haul some empty bottles and refill them at water fountains after security, you can bring on board enough water to quench a camel's thirst.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
Get some empty 3oz bottles and bring them along with you, filled with water, whiskey, or whatever. You can fit a healthy amount of whiskey in a 1qt victory bag.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by Cholula
But if you're willing to pay the usurious prices for water at the gateside concessions or to haul some empty bottles and refill them at water fountains after security, you can bring on board enough water to quench a camel's thirst.
Unless one is unlucky enough to be traveling to the US from an international location where somehow the rules have evolved such that the water bottles purchased inside security can't be brought on board. This was my experience within the past year at SJD and HKG.

And both were discovered after I paid said usurious prices!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by michellemck99
Unless one is unlucky enough to be traveling to the US from an international location where somehow the rules have evolved such that the water bottles purchased inside security can't be brought on board. This was my experience within the past year at SJD and HKG.

I didn't realize that.

They're taking a page, it seems, from the beginning of this water madness in the US.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by michellemck99

But, didn't you feel safer?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
They're taking a page, it seems, from the beginning of this water madness in the US.
For the record, the liquids hysteria began in the UK. I believe the culprits have now just begun trial.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo
For the record, the liquids hysteria began in the UK. I believe the culprits have now just begun trial.
No, the culprits are still cashing government paychecks in London and Washington, D.C.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo
And while they may have believed their plan to be feasible, it was not. We might as well ban invisible pink unicorns as ban water in reasonably sized bottles.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:34 pm
Cee

Originally Posted by sinanju
And while they may have believed their plan to be feasible, it was not. We might as well ban invisible pink unicorns as ban water in reasonably sized bottles.
I hear ya...those invisible pink unicorns always look shady! Ban them all!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by mangokitty92262
But, didn't you feel safer?
Nah, pretty much just pissed and parched.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I just bring a 1 liter EMPTY bottle and a water filter with me and fill it up from a fountain past security, never had a problem

I am considering getting something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/720270
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
Originally Posted by sinanju
According to the accused, he only planned to make an explosion at the airport - not onboard a plane.

Since the trial is in open court, perhaps we will find out the truth.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by straygaijin
to the accused, he only planned to make an explosion at the airport - not onboard a plane.

Since the trial is in open court, perhaps we will find out the truth.
Don't hold your breath, the UK govt. has as big a stake in this Liquid Menace as anyone, probably moreso. If the truth isn't what they want it to be, they'll change it.

And no, I don't believe the accused either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.