Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Shows Up At Opening of Phoenix Light Rail

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Shows Up At Opening of Phoenix Light Rail

Here's another rail transportation story involving none other than our erstwhile TSA. A friend who has retired to the Phoenix area sent me the Youtube link. Apparently, TSA screeners showed up at at least the one station filmed in this video. Watch this stunning display of professionalism for yourselves...

TSA Security Theater at Phoenix Light Rail
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'd like to know what they're "inspecting." Looks to me like they're just standing around.

If they're not going to talk to the press, they should have had the number readily available to give people to find out what the hell they're doing there. Not having that tidbit of info didn't surprise me.

They didn't look like the sharpest tools in the shed.

Gotta love how they're standing around trying to look important while playing secret squirrel too. Just another show of farce.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! I didn't expect see TSA must to be show up at the stations today. I am rode on the Light Rail today. The ride is absolutely great where I rode from Central/Camelback Rd. I rode on the trains all the way to Rural Rd/University Dr. The trains is very extremely quiet. I have a nice ride on the trains where I am met with trains operator front of the first car. I am concerns about TSA is taking own responsibilities for checking the ticket before boarding the trains. I knows that I am acknowledgeable information where I must to pays the fares at the vending machines before to get on the trains. If someone who doesn't have the ticket or reciept. It will be result subject face fined $50 to $500 citation. It will be lose the transit pass.

So however, TSA will own responsibilities where the passengers must to pays the fares at the vending machines. I remember where I rode on the Tri-Rail from many years ago since I lives in Florida. I know where I must pay the tri-rail ticket. It will be take care the customers who is already paid the ticket. If someone doesn't have without ticket. It will be subject $50 citation and must go to court for that.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd like to know what they're "inspecting."
That was my first thought, also.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
1. The Light Rail is a means to transfer tax dollars from the citizens of Arizona to the construction industry.

Service provided to citizens = zero, except for those individuals in Glendale who want to visit Tempe, and those in Tempe who want to visit Glendale.
Business on Central Ave that are now located elsewhere in the valley >> 1.

2. The TSA is a means to transfer tax dollars from the citizens of Arizona to the individuals employed by the TSA.

Service provided to citizens = zero.
Accountability = zero.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We've removed the last post in this thread as blanket condemnations of the TSA are not allowed.

Just a reminder of the posting rules in this forum:

1. All TSA personnel are idiots, trash, burger-flippers, Walmart Greeters, etc is not allowed.

2. The TSO I dealt with yesterday in ORD was a moron, idiot, etc. is OK.

3. TSA management and public figures are morons, idiots and the like is OK.

While we don't condone calling anyone an idiot or moron and would hope the posters here could be a bit more civil in their discussion, only when the TSA or it's TSO's are painted with a broad brush will we step in.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
TSA = Train Spotters Anonymous?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Wow. The arrogance is astounding.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Funny. I've never seen TSA officers on the People Mover.

I guess they don't care what terrorists do to the monorail in Detroit!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I'd like to know what they're "inspecting." Looks to me like they're just standing around.

If they're not going to talk to the press, they should have had the number readily available to give people to find out what the hell they're doing there. Not having that tidbit of info didn't surprise me.

They didn't look like the sharpest tools in the shed.

Gotta love how they're standing around trying to look important while playing secret squirrel too. Just another show of farce.
"draw the curtain, the farce is over" .

i'd like to know why the reporter/recorder didn't ask them for i/d. anyone can buy a uniform and badges (we don't need no stinking badges) but a uniformed government employee must have i/d if on duty. if a leo comes up to you in uniform (or plainclothes for that matter), you are within your rights to ask them for i/d and record the information as a badge is not i/d and the same applies to these maroons.....

Originally Posted by doober
I'd like to know what they're "inspecting."
That was my first thought, also.
shame on you-don't you know that's ssi...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i sent the youtube link to a buddy who lives in phx and he thinks it was shot when the new phx metro was opened where the governor and other assorted big-wigs played choo-choo charlie and rode the trains-that could explain the canine and equine performance
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This video is a classic. Kudos to the producer. Of course TSA serves no purpose there; they are just grandstanding and wasting taxpayer money.

The amazing thing is how tone-deaf to public relations they can be -- sending out people who are not articulate, not even bothering to explain why they are there, or at least giving them a business card with the public relations phone number on it.

I guess this is typical for TSA. The arrogance is astounding.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:38 pm

You would have thought that the inspectors would have been given a standard response when asked that question or business cards with a number for someone to call. There I go thinking again.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:57 pm

Well. If I had to venture some guesses...

They all seem to be TSIs (yes, the guys that broke the AA plane). They're the only ones who get such snazzy jackets. I'm also convinced that, in the recent 60 Minutes piece, one of the TSIs let Kip Hawley borrow his jacket. Otherwise, I've never seen him wear such a thing in any other video or image.

Second...

They are, in all likelihood, on a VIPR operation.

Visual Intermodal Prevention and Response. Quite literally, it's like a show-of-force type of situation. The only thing the TSA personnel are there for are, essentially, extra sets of eyes for LEOs. It's a... "uniformed presence" thing. A "make people feel better" thing.

Or, as TSA themselves put it:

...to increase visibility, heighten vigilance and complement law enforcement efforts...
On the off-chance TSOs get invited to participate in VIPR operations, we do not get the snazzy jackets. We have to stand out there in full uniform, like so.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all,

I have been heard the car is involved accident near the trains from few days ago. So here the articled came in from AZ Central. It was everything is fine but, there is no injured. Here it is:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/traffi...crash1230.html

I think they need to have more extra carefully what they are doing on the streets. This is not excuse for the driver were not supposedly to be hit near the trains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.