Flying with Cash INTRA USA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Deeg
Originally Posted by peachfront
You know and I know that no criminal conviction, or even an arrest of a person, is required for the money to be seized. Much less probable cause.
As I said in my very first post on the subject...perhaps you are correct under some state's laws. I don't know. But for seizures under federal law, that is wrong. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

(The bit about no criminal conviction is correct. There are two types of forfeiture: civil and criminal. The latter requires a conviction, the former does not.)
In other words, money and material goods may be seized, wrongful as it may be, by the federal authorities, even in the absence of a criminal conviction, even in the absence of a civil judgment.

The federal government has become more aggressive in locking people out of their accounts or seizing possessions (including money) before a civil sentence or criminal conviction has even been handed down (if ever).
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by knighthawks97
The cash was for a vehicle and the seller offered a reduced price for cash on the spot.

It did feel like I was doing something illegal just holding that much $$$.
You weren't doing anything illegal. The seller almost certainly was, or will be when he doesn't pay sales tax on the transaction...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You weren't doing anything illegal. The seller almost certainly was, or will be when he doesn't pay sales tax on the transaction...
I don't know about NYC, but down here sales tax is collected upon registration - to ensure money is collected when cars are sold or transferred. The new owner would need to pay the tax.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras

Does cash show up as cash on the carry-on Xrays?

There are a substantial number of people who believe that the security strips embedded in the bills can be counted through remote sensors (sort of like RFID).

Not true:
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/strip.asp
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Didn't you mean income tax?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Didn't you mean income tax?
If it is like here in Texas, he meant sales tax. A sale of a car involves the payment of a sales tax as part of the registration process, though I do acknowledge that it is the responsibility of the purchaser and not the seller.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ND Sol
If it is like here in Texas, he meant sales tax. A sale of a car involves the payment of a sales tax as part of the registration process, though I do acknowledge that it is the responsibility of the purchaser and not the seller.
I did mean sales tax. It's usually the responsibility of the buyer here too, although I don't know how NY would handle it if I sold my car to someone living in a state without a sales tax...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
About 10 years ago a little old lady on her way to Las Vegas had 5,000 confiscated. MSP was so proud they mentioned how much they took in their newsletter.

Turns out it was a congressman's mom. Never heard another thing about it.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Actually, believe it or not, I'm neither nor was I asking for information on how to launder money. My original question was whether or not there are laws governing how much currency one can transit the airsystem with (i.e. for internation arrivals/departures one is to declare cash and equivelent instruments of $10,000 or more). I just never seen any paper work at my local airport that asks the same thing.

Originally Posted by peachfront
If you do the seizing, then you already know the answer and you also know that what you are telling people is untrue.

Look, the OP is either a dupe of a money launderer or he's asking us how to launder money. He's a bad guy. I don't blame you for giving the answers you have given. But they are not accurate.

You know and I know that no criminal conviction, or even an arrest of a person, is required for the money to be seized. Much less probable cause. I've known people to have their money stolen at traffic stops for speeding and that great southern classic, the broken taillight.

Virtually all U.S. currency is contaminated with trace elements of cocaine. Therefore all U.S. currency has "probable cause" that it was involved in a crime somewhere down the line.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In other words, money and material goods may be seized, wrongful as it may be, by the federal authorities, even in the absence of a criminal conviction, even in the absence of a civil judgment.

The federal government has become more aggressive in locking people out of their accounts or seizing possessions (including money) before a civil sentence or criminal conviction has even been handed down (if ever).
Pretty much, yeah. With some exceptions (real property, stuff inside your house or other 4th Amendment area), only probable cause is required to seize the property. No warrant or court order required. It's very similar to making an arrest of a person in that regard.

However, in order to forfeit the property (IOW, for the Government to keep it), the agency generally must prove it in court.

I have it in the back of my mind that to freeze a bank account, a court order is indeed required. But I'm not positive.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by GeneCMH
Actually, believe it or not, I'm neither nor was I asking for information on how to launder money. My original question was whether or not there are laws governing how much currency one can transit the airsystem with (i.e. for internation arrivals/departures one is to declare cash and equivelent instruments of $10,000 or more). I just never seen any paper work at my local airport that asks the same thing.
Well, I guess you got more of an answer than you bargained for! The simple answer is that there is no such law, but you run the risk of authorities being suspicious of why you have such large amounts of currency.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:32 pm

There was a farmer in Oklahoma who flew to Texas with $25,000 cash to buy a tractor. He was stopped when he got off the plane in Texas and the cash confiscated. His activity was "suspicious" because he was flying out and back the same day. I never heard if he got it back.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by vasantn
Believe me, cashier's checks are not the same as cash and, in fact, are often harder to negotiate than ordinary personal checks.
Boy, did I ever find that out the hard way. Certified funds are NOT like cash. TCF bank here in Chicago once put a certified check I had for $23,000 on a 10 day hold. I had One-and-Two-Thirds bank put a $4,000 cashier's check on hold for 5 days. I was told that just because the person on the other end had to put up cash to get the chcek meant nothing to them, they would put it on hold until such time as the check cleared the issuing back.

I was also admionished that the only options ofr real time or near real time money transfer were good old American greenbacks, or a wire transfer. The sometimes significant wire transfer fee is their way of punishing you for not letting them use the money interest free for several days.

One day someone will explain to me why we don't all keep our cash under the mattress where it belongs!

--PP
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by GeneCMH
Believe it or not, there is no good hard and fast answer. Cash transportation is largely conditioned on the caprices of local law enforcement and their ability to confiscate cash at will in the name of drug interdiction. Getting it back requires legal assistance that will likely exceed the amount of the cash being transported. Short answer, transport money at your own risk. Using cash generates no paper trail, and we don't like that, citizen.

--PP
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:38 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
What a very interesting subject with lots of answers. I think you can carry as much cash as you want without leaving the US. I personally know someone who deals in currency transactions nationwide and has no problem clearing airport security. With regards to everyones checks getting holds put on them I would suggest seeing an officer of the bank before you make the deposit and let them know if you find the holds unexceptable. I would move my accounts in an instant if any bank even thinks of the word hold,what nonsence it is just one more thing most people just grin and bear.
I would sugest getting out of the large banks where you are nothing more then a number and this is less likely to happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.