Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will TSA ban on liquids/gels end?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy When will TSA ban on liquids/gels end?

Any idea?

This is a fairly big nuisance for the business traveler who just wants to stay a day or night.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aceji
Any idea?

This is a fairly big nuisance for the business traveler who just wants to stay a day or night.
From what I have gathered from numerous sources, the answer is never. It is here to stay. There may in the future (a long time away) be a slight relaxation of the rules, but that it is highly unlikely at this time. I have also heard rumors of it being expanded, but according to Bart, that probably won't happen.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, World Club Member, Former Delta Platinum
From what I have gathered from numerous sources, the answer is never. It is here to stay.
But ONLY if they want it to continue to be a nuissance.

There is no way in hell that they couldn't have a liquid purchase, within the secure area, where a traveler could take liquids on board. Once they pass through security, without liquids, there is no reason that safe liquids, that are purchased in the secure area, shouldn't be allowed.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeSD

There is no way in hell that they couldn't have a liquid purchase, within the secure area, where a traveler could take liquids on board. Once they pass through security, without liquids, there is no reason that safe liquids, that are purchased in the secure area, shouldn't be allowed.
To me, the reason is that TSA does not have confidence in itself or its procedures. That is, it does not believe it is anywhere near sufficiently effective in finding liquids/gels at the entrances to the secure area and/or it does not believe that all liquids/gels brought into the secure area (by vendors or whomever) are in fact all safe. IMHO.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Unless a worker at one of the inside stores smuggles in the explosive liquid and 'sells' it to the idiot who will go onboard.

To the OP: If there is a case - and for the Greater Good of the safety of the traveling public I don't think there is - I think the case should be for the Mon - Thur/Fri traveler - the one night stayover road warrior can use the in-hotel shampoo and live without hair gel for a day. Get a hairstyle that doesn't require gel to hold it in place.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond

Agree with your thoughts. Part of what I am trying to piece together from a myriad of sources, and that is part of the whole problem, is what is going on behind the "closed doors".

I have an email from someone who works in the security system at an airport that has me wondering what is really going on with those in control. This is an excerpt from the email.

I understand your frustration with the current rules. I too sympathize with you. As you know the current rules are under constant review. One of the biggest complaints we have received is, "Why can't I bring something I purchased after security onboard the plane?" The short answer I have, is I don't know. What I do know is that the rules are very likely to be changed in the near future to avoid this confusion.
My read on this is that there will be new guidelines/rules put out to eliminate the confusion with regards to this. I have heard three different versions or what the rules change would be. The first one is a ban on the sale of liquids inside security. This would include the sale of beverages at restraunts and the like. If the airport desired to keep these available they would have to move the checkpoints to accomidate this. The second is the prohibiting the sale of beverages in sealed containers. In otherwords only open beverages that could not be placed inside a bag would be allowed. The third option would permit the sale of beverages and other items if they had a TSA seal on them, that showed they were safe.

I have no idea which way they are going to go on this. However, given the confusion that has been generated by the enforcement and implementation of the water ban, as it applies to the sterile area, a change is likely to occur. The problem is we may not like the change.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA General Member
I think the restrictions will be with us for a while. I just ordered some tooth powder and an old fashioned shaving mug & brush just for traveling. Now if I could just come up with an alternative for deodorant.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by winkydink
Now if I could just come up with an alternative for deodorant.
Based on my experiences last Tuesday and Thursday (8/15 and 8/17), solid stick deodorant is allowed. I specificially showed it to a TSAer on 8/15 (who said no problem), and just packed it in my carry-on for the return flight (no problem).

Last edited by jmd001; Aug 21, 2006 at 10:36 pm Reason: Clarified that I packed it my carry-on
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA General Member
I'll give it a try then, thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:34 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
UI think the case should be for the Mon - Thur/Fri traveler - the one night stayover road warrior can use the in-hotel shampoo and live without hair gel for a day. Get a hairstyle that doesn't require gel to hold it in place.
And the in-hotel toothpaste (okay), lip balm, makeup collection (right), gel deoderant, moisturizing cream, denture glue, topical creams etc. etc.? It gets a bit absurd.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this thread is focused on TSA issues, we'll move it to our Travel Safety/Security forum for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Mod., TBuzz
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Now if I could just come up with an alternative for deodorant.
Try Gold Bond Medicated Powder. You'd have to be working in a jungle to sweat through a liberal application of this stuff.
I've been using it for years and have yet to gross anybody out.

Well, maybe a few but that's a topic for another thread.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I hope the ban will end soon but have my doubts. Perhaps if one or more airline CEO here in the USA does a "Ryanair" that is start a lawsuit to overturn the ban.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I think the restrictions will be with us for a while. I just ordered some tooth powder and an old fashioned shaving mug & brush just for traveling. Now if I could just come up with an alternative for deodorant.
Try a crystal deodorant stone. They work well for most people, although for heavy exercise you may need to reapply.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Cholula
Try Gold Bond Medicated Powder. You'd have to be working in a jungle to sweat through a liberal application of this stuff.
I've been using it for years and have yet to gross anybody out.

Well, maybe a few but that's a topic for another thread.
Or even simple no-name baby powder/talc. Until of course some clod of a TSO mistakes it for anthrax or powdered explosive or WHY...

Hope the TSA HQ geniuses aren't lurking here. Um yes guys, powders can be dangerous too , best to ban them, eh ? Can't be too careful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.