Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we really at risk from snacks on a plane?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Question Are we really at risk from snacks on a plane?

JUST a couple of days ago a pilot was stopped by a security guard while getting ready to board his aircraft at a bustling British airport and informed he had a fork in his bag which would have to be taken away.

Sarcastically, the pilot says he “asked if the security guard would come up to the flight deck and stop me pointing the aircraft at terra firma. Also would the guard help me to decide if I should use the fork as a weapon against myself or the axe that sits beside me on the flight deck? Common sense seems to be a thing of the past.”

Speak to anyone in the aviation industry today and they’ll tell you the current draconian security measures at British airports – which see passengers prohibited from taking even water onboard in some instances – are “bureaucratic madness”, “security lunacy”, “stupid” and “absurd”. They are unanimous in their fury towards the government for enforcing regulations they see as “ridiculous”.

(snip)

Staff cynicism is endemic. “The sheep are buying it,” writes one American pilot on a website used by air crew. “We’ve already seen Angie Airhead, the 6pm news reporter, on the scene at the airport interviewing passengers stuck in hour-long screening lines. Angie: ‘How do you feel about these new security measures?’ Traveller: ‘If it promotes the war on terror, I’ll gladly give up my tube of Pepsodent.’ The only thing it promotes, moron, is tooth decay.”

(snip)

Ground staff – as well as not being allowed to bring food and water airside – are also prohibited from taking radios through security. “How are you supposed to keep in touch and get your flight out in reasonable time if you can’t communicate,” one worker said.

http://www.sundayherald.com/57459
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:51 pm

Amen. But how do we stop this madness.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The "right people" with the "right connections" will need to be inconvenienced I fear.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snacks on a plane. That's very funny.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Even though I'm an airline employee, I have cancelled my vac. trip due to this nonsense....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.