Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview with Chertoff (from July 2006)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Interview with Chertoff (from July 2006)

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200608u/chertoff-full

Interesting excerpt, especially considering what's going on now:

What are your proudest accomplishments at this stage of the job?

The thing that I thought was most important, and I hope I have achieved to some extent, is an honest and straightforward conversation with the American people that says there's always going to be risk and that, if we really wanted to eliminate risks, we would have to [create] a society so autocratic and encumbered by security that we would have neither our liberty nor our prosperity.

We've got to find a place in the world of homeland security that does allow us to have a free society and does allow us to have prosperity and doesn't just smother us with security. But that means that we have to be honest about the fact that we will be accepting some level of risk if we do that. The extent to which we've incorporated that philosophy into Homeland Security is the thing I'm proudest of.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200608u/chertoff-full

Interesting excerpt, especially considering what's going on now:

What are your proudest accomplishments at this stage of the job?

The thing that I thought was most important, and I hope I have achieved to some extent, is an honest and straightforward conversation with the American people that says there's always going to be risk and that, if we really wanted to eliminate risks, we would have to [create] a society so autocratic and encumbered by security that we would have neither our liberty nor our prosperity.

We've got to find a place in the world of homeland security that does allow us to have a free society and does allow us to have prosperity and doesn't just smother us with security. But that means that we have to be honest about the fact that we will be accepting some level of risk if we do that. The extent to which we've incorporated that philosophy into Homeland Security is the thing I'm proudest of.
Duh? And where was this Chertoff last week - seems to me he's hopped the fence.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
What he said in July makes perfect sense -- and was expressed eloquently, too. What he did in August is totally insane and contradicts what he said the month before. Strange!

Bruce
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:59 pm
Suspended

What he said in July makes perfect sense -- and was expressed eloquently, too. What he did in August is totally insane and contradicts what he said the month before. Strange!

Bruce

Don't know if you were alluding to my post, Bruce. Maybe I didn't say it right but you did. ^
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
The conspiracy theorists will say that the political situation for his bosses deterioriated between July and August, including the Lieberman loss in CT, which necessitated the hysteria on 8/10 to "rally the troops." I'll let everyone make up their own mind on that validity of that argument, but it's definitely interesting how he "flip-flopped" on this issue.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Chertoff's a "loyalist" hardliner who wanted the USA PATRIOT Act before 9-1-1 meant anything under than an emergency services call. Even during his Latham & Watkins days and later in his days as a prosecutor, he was known for playing a standard game: "reluctant, but compelled". A dog and pony show that was too. Chertoff attracted the attention of "allied" countries' foreign intelligence agencies even before his current position.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
My irony meeter is pegged!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.