Wiki Posts
Search

Crap... Drivers license expiring!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Crap... Drivers license expiring!

Ok... Flying out of Pgh on 5/26 on SW.

My PA drivers license expires on... 5/26. Been meaning to renew it, so I go online to the PA site and renew it. At the end, instead of allowing me to print out the form to take to the photo place, they tell me it will arrive in around 10 days!

Argh... am I going to run into trouble boarding if I have a PA photo ID that recently expired?
Old May 17, 2006, 1:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'll move this to Travel Safety and Security, since it's not Southwest specific.

FWIW, I carry an expired driver's license as a backup ID. I assume that the TSA will note that while the license may have expired, I haven't.
Old May 17, 2006, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ajf3

My PA drivers license expires on... 5/26. Been meaning to renew it, so I go online to the PA site and renew it. At the end, instead of allowing me to print out the form to take to the photo place, they tell me it will arrive in around 10 days!

Argh... am I going to run into trouble boarding if I have a PA photo ID that recently expired?
I've read anecdotal reports that some over-eager ticket checkers will give you a hard time for an expired license. But it makes zero sense. Most just seem to match your name and photo to the name on the ticket.
Do you have a passport you can show instead? That's all I use anymore. I'd rather lose my passport on a domestic trip than I would my driver's license as you can't rent a car with a passport.
Old May 17, 2006, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I called a local notary service and they said that since I've already renewed online, they can't do another renewal for me to get the card more quickly.

So as far as PA is concerned my only option is to wait for the new photo form to get a new DL.

She did say that the photo form is valid as a DL for 60 days, so I'm thinking worst case I can get someone to pick it up and mail it to me in FL before I come back...

Will the airlines accept an expired ID and a paper temp/extension form for boarding, or do I need a pic id that is currently valid period?
Old May 17, 2006, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
No passport?
Old May 17, 2006, 2:03 pm

Two suggestions:
- If you have a passport, use it. I have on occasions and it works just fine. After all, is a Governemnt-issued photo ID.
- Contact the DMV and explain the situation. You renewed your license on time. They should be able to give you something that verifies it.

Good luck!
Old May 17, 2006, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

No - unfortunately no passport.

This is actually the first time I've flown in years.

Although I do have a valid PA license to carry a concealed weapon that does have my pic on it... would they take that, or would it just open up a whole nother can of worms?
Old May 17, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Although I do have a valid PA license to carry a concealed weapon that does have my pic on it... would they take that, or would it just open up a whole nother can of worms?
Yeesh... I mean, that IS a government-issued photo ID.... they should take it.

But can we say self-imposed SSSS?
Old May 17, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Yeesh... I mean, that IS a government-issued photo ID.... they should take it.

But can we say self-imposed SSSS?
ROFL.

Knowing TSA they won't make the connection between "gun" and "security"
Old May 17, 2006, 4:14 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The concealed weapon licence is ok since it is "government-issued ID".
Old May 17, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I had a colleague whose license had expired. He was able to fly, but at SLC, he was given the full secondary (incl. search of carry-on) every time. Even with online checkin and no SSSS, when the TSA'ers noticed the date, he was off to the penalty box. Not sure if DFW was as bad.
Old May 17, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swag
I had a colleague whose license had expired. He was able to fly, but at SLC, he was given the full secondary (incl. search of carry-on) every time. Even with online checkin and no SSSS, when the TSA'ers noticed the date, he was off to the penalty box. Not sure if DFW was as bad.
This sounds like the same vain as traveling without an ID... you actually can, but you're subject to a thorough search (unless of course you volunteer for SSSS like I did )
Old May 17, 2006, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I am aware of several individuals who regularly use their CCL as ID for airport purposes (mainly for the look on the checker's faces... )

Also, I've always been under the impression that it doesn't matter if the ID is expired or not.

Of course, it all depends upon the mood and training/lack thereof of any given ID checker. Gotta luv consistency...
Old May 17, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
It shouldn't matter whether or not the license is expired. It is still your identification. TSA isn't going to give you a ticket for 'flying with and expired driver's license'. (I hope).

Your expired license still shows a picture of you, with all your information, and if they are really ambitious, they can call PA DMV and verify that, yes, you have a valid license.

My AK Driver's License does the same thing. Since I'm active duty military, I don't have to renew it until after I get out of the Army. The expiration date says 1997, but it is valid until 90 days after I get out. I think only two car rental places have even made any kind of comment, and one was in Germany.
Old May 17, 2006, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll bring the expired one and use the CCW as a backup if I need to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.