Wiki Posts
Search

TSA to ramp up its harassment of Americans

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA to ramp up its harassment of Americans

Looks like TakeScissorsAway was right: The Terrorism Success Agency has announced new procedures calling for everyone to remove their jackets, blazers, etc. and subject them to the xray machine, as well as "discretionary" patdowns.

TSA Increases Level Of Electronic And Manual Explosives Searches At U.S. Airports

U. S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Transportation Security Administration

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - September 16, 2004
TSA Press Office: (571) 227-2829

New policy adds trace detectors to passenger search routine and expands use of physical pat-downs

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced new passenger screening procedures that will increase the use of explosives trace detectors, expand the use of manual pat-down searches, and give screeners more latitude to refer individuals to secondary screening. This move is in line with our commitment to constantly review screening procedures to ensure our measures are targeted to counter potential threats.

The enhancements are designed to strengthen checkpoint screening of passengers and carry-on baggage and are in line with a recent recommendation of the 9/11 Commission Report that all passengers selected for secondary screening be checked for explosives. Passengers must continue to go through metal detectors and put their carry-on items through the X-ray; the extra measures will be applied to those persons referred to secondary screening.

Beginning next week, the new protocol will also require all passengers to remove outer coats and jackets for X-ray before proceeding through the metal detectors. Included are suit and sport coats, athletic warm-up jackets and blazers.

The new measures authorize pat-down searches of passengers if warranted, based on visual observations. These limited searches will be conducted as part of the secondary screening process.

“These procedures are consistent with TSA efforts to improve and expand the use of technology to screen passengers for explosives at airport checkpoints across the country,” said Rear Adm. David M. Stone, USN (Ret.), the Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security for TSA.

Since December 31, 2002, 100 percent of baggage checked at the nation’s 450 commercial airports has been screened for explosives and other harmful materials before being loaded onto a plane.

Working with airlines and aviation authorities, TSA is testing and evaluating new technologies including portals and document scanners that will detect traces of explosive particles on passengers.

Currently, five airports are testing the portals at passenger security checkpoints. This technology subjects passengers to puffs of air, which are collected and analyzed to determine if explosives residues are present. The pilot programs will help determine whether the trace detection technology is appropriate for use within an airport environment.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...000519800cdb11

Is there any other US government agency so hellbent on acting as un-American as this one?

What a disgrace.

One thing surprises me about the announcement, however. Prior to last week's loss in the Gilmore case, wouldn't the TSA brand this press release as SSI and refuse to admit that the procedures had changed?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:41 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
OK,

So what happens if I have the gull to refuse to remove my jacket and place it through the XRay? Are there other alternatives if I opt for this? Can I request a secondary screening instead?

It's not necessarily that I would refuse to remove my jacket when flying-- it's just that I'm curious to find out what would happen. Would the TSA refuse to let me through the CP at all, or would there be other procedures in place (like secondary screening) that would then "kick in" for that passenger?

There are also other concerns that I have. I don't like the thought of a TSA agent just reaching out and touching me without warning-- even if it is on the wrist or on some other "non sensitive" area. Will they still have to ask my permission (or at least inform me of what they are about to do) prior to touching me? If not, then I hope that policy changes.

And what about these environmental scanners that are being tested at 5 airports? Do we know if there are any possible harmful side effects of going through this? I understand that it just "blows puffs of air" on people (as described), but I honestly think that the scanners need to do more than this. If it's not known for certain that there are no harmful side effects, are people being informed of this prior to being subjected to this?

As some may recall, I'm one who is generally not in favor of the TSA. While some of my experiences with agents have been good (most of my flights out of IAD have been great), others have been unprofessional and horrid. Even though I've probably had more good experiences than bad (as of late), the bad ones still tend to stand out the most and still leave me unimpressed with some of the folks that work for the TSA.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:04 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
“These procedures are consistent with TSA efforts to improve and expand the use of technology to screen passengers for explosives at airport checkpoints across the country,” said Rear Adm. David M. Stone, USN (Ret.), the Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security for TSA.

Why does he insist on listing his title at a previous job in this Press Release? Why should I give a rat's ... what he was in some previous career? I'm not trying to disrespect someone's military service/career, but you don't see me going around calling myself "Independent Snow-Remover HeHateY (Ret.), a poster on FT"

Unless he's trying to intimidate someone...?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:39 am

Programs: TSA
Harassment?

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Looks like TakeScissorsAway was right: The Terrorism Success Agency has announced new procedures calling for everyone to remove their jackets, blazers, etc. and subject them to the xray machine, as well as "discretionary" patdowns.

Is there any other US government agency so hellbent on acting as un-American as this one?

What a disgrace.

One thing surprises me about the announcement, however. Prior to last week's loss in the Gilmore case, wouldn't the TSA brand this press release as SSI and refuse to admit that the procedures had changed?
Relly poor choice of words: Harassment is in the eye of the beholder. The legal definition for harassment is contact someone without legitimate pupose. I know that Websters says otherwise but to win this debate you have to be on the money.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:45 am

You are going to secondary screening

Originally Posted by clrankin
OK,

So what happens if I have the gull to refuse to remove my jacket and place it through the XRay? Are there other alternatives if I opt for this? Can I request a secondary screening instead?

It's not necessarily that I would refuse to remove my jacket when flying-- it's just that I'm curious to find out what would happen. Would the TSA refuse to let me through the CP at all, or would there be other procedures in place (like secondary screening) that would then "kick in" for that passenger?

There are also other concerns that I have. I don't like the thought of a TSA agent just reaching out and touching me without warning-- even if it is on the wrist or on some other "non sensitive" area. Will they still have to ask my permission (or at least inform me of what they are about to do) prior to touching me? If not, then I hope that policy changes.

And what about these environmental scanners that are being tested at 5 airports? Do we know if there are any possible harmful side effects of going through this? I understand that it just "blows puffs of air" on people (as described), but I honestly think that the scanners need to do more than this. If it's not known for certain that there are no harmful side effects, are people being informed of this prior to being subjected to this?

As some may recall, I'm one who is generally not in favor of the TSA. While some of my experiences with agents have been good (most of my flights out of IAD have been great), others have been unprofessional and horrid. Even though I've probably had more good experiences than bad (as of late), the bad ones still tend to stand out the most and still leave me unimpressed with some of the folks that work for the TSA.
IF you refuse to remove outer garments like described.
As far as the scanners go, I would be curious to know what the cost is. I believe they are cost prohibitive at this point. The airport that I work at has 26 lanes and those machines would be very expensive to put in all at once. The GE Entry scan is the one that I think you are talking about and no there is no side effects. However there is a machine out there that is equal to a walkthrough X-Ray and that one may have effects other than the fact that the ACLU has a big problem with it.
As far as touching you goes, We dont have to ask permission. You gave up that right when you went into the CP. There is a sign there that says "All persons and their luggage are subject to search." So the permission is implied. We will however tell you that we are going to be touching you. Pay attention though. The sentence is very short and it is added on to the initial advisal for handwanding.

Last edited by eyecue; Sep 17, 2004 at 8:52 am Reason: add something
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:48 am

TSA lost? re: Gilmore v Ashcroft?

What a disgrace.

I didnt interpret that as a loss. Change of venue yes. Loss no.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, Herr Ashcroft's Department of inJustice and the USCIS (née INS).
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:55 am

I can tell

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Why does he insist on listing his title at a previous job in this Press Release? Why should I give a rat's ... what he was in some previous career? I'm not trying to disrespect someone's military service/career, but you don't see me going around calling myself "Independent Snow-Remover HeHateY (Ret.), a poster on FT"

You have never been in the military. To rise to the rank of admiral in the military you deserve some respect. Regardless of what you may believe of the person. That is why it says that. Also Bill Clinton is still called President. They just dont put (ret.) after it.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY

Commissioned officers, after retirement, retain their active duty rank. There's a legal reason: you're subject to recall until age 65. One is given a commission by the President and is identical to any other presidential appointment, including Senate confirmation. Your appointment as a commissioned officer doesn't end when you retire. You can wear your uniform (if you can still fit into it and you comply with grooming standards) at official military functions and officiate at promotions, retirements, medal presentations, and commissioning ceremonies. If you get out without retiring (as both Kerry and Bush did, by the way) you resign your commission and you don't retain the rank. That's the legal basis for Stone using his retired rank.

The other side of the coin is ego. The vast majority of retired officers of all ranks and services choose not to use their rank publically. I know plenty of retired generals who don't. You hardly ever hear Colin Powell addressed as "General" -- he's probably the most prominent retired officer in government these days. If Stone REALLY wanted to low-key his retired status, he could very easily do it.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:17 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 7:01 am
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:21 am

What a disgrace.
Man, gotta love this level of substantive debate. If all else fails call them un-American.

I hate that as much as I hate it when the other side uses "traitor" in debate. Neither is true and neither helps, it only incites.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
Not to get off on a tangent (my, my! does that happen in here?) but when all this talk of recalling retired officers back to active duty was going around, I thought I'd pull the old duffelbag out of the attic to see if the old uniform still fit.

I have great news!

The socks fit perfectly!
Danger -- Staying on the tangent for another post!

I actually wore my dress uniform about a year ago (retired in Oct 98) to pin on an active duty guy I worked with. I fit into it pretty well, although I was glad to take it off an hour or two later! I got lots of odd looks because I was wearing the old USAF dress uniform. One aspect I didn't mention above is that you can either wear the current uniform or the one that was current when you retired.

Now that I think about it, probably the largest group who wears their uniforms in a retired status are JROTC instructors.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, Herr Ashcroft's Department of inJustice and the USCIS (née INS).
Ah, another one. I knew it was only a matter of time before Nazi was brought to bear.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyecue
I didnt interpret that as a loss. Change of venue yes. Loss no.
You can bet that Ashcroft and his team of thugs interpreted last week's decision that they must argue the case in public as a loss:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ia/9655267.htm

Granted, Gilmore will have no more victories in this case, but this one was sweet

Refusing to confirm the existence of the security directive that requires ID because its release would harm national security? People who believe that should be flogged. This is the United States of America.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by law dawg
Man, gotta love this level of substantive debate. If all else fails call them un-American.

I hate that as much as I hate it when the other side uses "traitor" in debate. Neither is true and neither helps, it only incites.
Don't much care what you think (any more than you care what I think).

I call 'em as I see 'em, and this agency is un-American. You're free to disagree. Like I said, I couldn't care less what you think. I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Have a nice day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.